From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Members of Anglican Consultative Council prepare for meeting / Bishops reflect on 'just war' c

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 2 May 2009 08:05:06 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Members of Anglican Consultative Council prepare for meeting
* TOP STORY - Bishops reflect on 'just war' concept
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - VIRGINIA: Church ruins being transformed into
museum and park
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Church publishes swine flu prayers
* MISSION - ITALY: In Rome, roads lead to Nafuma refugee center
* MISSION - General Convention office seeks recommendations for CCABs
* PEOPLE - The Rev. Peter Toon, priest and theologian, dies at 69
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Michael L. Vono on Episcopal ministry, outreach in
Rome
* OPINION - 'Just war' document well-meaning but unsatisfying
* ARTS - Russia lends icons for extensive U.S. display
* DAYBOOK - May 2, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Bruckner - Mass No. 3 in F Minor

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Members of Anglican Consultative Council prepare for meeting

Busy agenda aims to make room for relationship-building, listening

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg and Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] Hopes for renewing
relationships and recommitting to common mission ran high May 1 as
members of the Anglican Consultative Council (ACC) began gathering
here for their twelve-day meeting.

Diocese of Southern Malawi Bishop James Tengatenga, who represents the
Province of Central Africa, told ENS May 1 that he hopes that this
14th meeting of the ACC will mean "a recommitment to each other as we
meet again and, of course, welcome those that are coming for the first
time. Fellowship is important. My hope is that we will truly have
fellowship and therefore a helpful interaction."

Canon Elizabeth Paver, one of the Church of England's ACC members,
referring to conflicts about homosexuality and other theological
differences, said in an interview that while "many things within the
communion seem to be dividing us" the meeting is "our opportunity to
say that there's huge possibility of a positive way forward to bring
people together, rather than to divide them."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107248_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Bishops reflect on 'just war' concept

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] The House of Bishops' theology committee has
published a reflection on the concept of a "just war" at a time when
warfare includes biological and nuclear weapons.

"Just War is ... about the ancient wrestling with what to do in a
violent world where people do violent things. It's really about the
Christian community trying to influence government to avoid war and,
when war seems inevitable, to pursue it in as moral and just a way as
possible," said Bishop Henry Parsley of Alabama, committee chair, in
an April 28 telephone interview.

The document, titled "Some Observations on Just War" was filed as a
committee report for the 76th General Convention, which will take
place July 8-17 in Anaheim, California.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107223_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

VIRGINIA: Church ruins being transformed into museum and park

>By Lisa B. Hamilton

[Episcopal Life Media]: The remains of the Elk Run Anglican Church,
which dates from the 1750s, are being transformed into a museum and
park in Fauquier County, Virginia.

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Catlett, Virginia, about 15 miles to
the northeast, owns the property and is overseeing the site's
preservation.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_107217_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

>ENGLAND: Church publishes swine flu prayers

[Church of England] The Church of England has published a selection of
prayers for use in churches in light of the developing situation
regarding swine flu.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_107216_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

ITALY: In Rome, roads lead to Nafuma refugee center

>By Solange De Santis

[Episcopal News Service, Rome] A recent weekday in April was a typical
one for the Rev. Michael Vono, rector of St. Paul's Within the Walls
Episcopal church (http://www.stpaulsrome.it/) in Italy's capital city:
he encountered Afghanis, Sudanese, Ghanians, Turks, Congolese - and
few Italians or Americans.

That's because the Joel Nafuma Refugee Center in St. Paul's - the only
day center in the city for refugees - serves another side of the
Eternal City, the one not marked by ancient monuments and venerated by
tourists.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_107245_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

General Convention office seeks recommendations for CCABs

>ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service]  The committees, commissions, agencies and
boards (CCABs) of the Episcopal Church's General Convention
(http://www.episcopalchurch.org/gc2009.htm) seek new volunteers to
help them carry out the work assigned to them by the convention.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_107243_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

The Rev. Peter Toon, priest and theologian, dies at 69

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Peter Toon, president emeritus of
the Prayer Book Society of the U.S.A. (http://pbsusa.org/), died April
25 in San Diego. He was 69. Toon suffered from amyloidosis, a rare
protein disorder.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_107241_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Video: Michael L. Vono on Episcopal ministry, outreach in Rome

The Rev. Michael L. Vono, rector of St. Pauls Within the Walls in
Rome, speaks about the parish ministry, including the Joel Nafuma
Refugee Center.

Video: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

'Just war' document well-meaning but unsatisfying

>By George Packard

[Episcopal Life Online] The House of Bishops Theology Committee
report, "Some Observations on Just War," is well-meaning, but
incomplete. It is really an attempt to reconcile core values with
national security interests-different from the charge given to it by
General Convention. The chosen means to do this was to critique older
Just War principles. The 2006 General Convention had noted the dated
quality of those principles hence the resolution (DO68) requesting "a
study on new warfare situations." It is unsettling to compare that
request with the results in the committee's report.

We are headed for the high season of important sounding pronouncements
with General Convention on the horizon and with it an assortment of
"non-experts" will be assembling in Anaheim. Amidst the same kind of
preparation as this House of Bishops group and through various
committee hearings on diverse subjects, convention will dare to make
policy statements on nearly everything. Most often, the discourse will
be inconsequential and disappear, not harming anyone. This would all
continue to be quaint in July if the times weren't so terrifying.

It would wiser to convene an adjunct panel of experts to any
deliberation, sort of a ready telephone helpline since election as a
delegate is no guarantee of knowledge.

Full article: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_107236_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

>Russia lends icons for extensive U.S. display

>By Jerry Hames

[Episcopal Life] Twenty Episcopal iconographers packed their bags
recently for a journey to see historic Russian icons. But instead of
flying thousands of miles to Moscow, they boarded a bus in New Hope,
Pennsylvania, for a 275-mile, two-day trip to Clinton in western
Massachusetts.

There, at the Museum of Russian Icons, a state-of-the-art, renovated
150-year-old mill building, they viewed some of the most important
Russian icons, spanning the 16th to 19th centuries, ever displayed in
the United States. The exhibition, Two Museums, One Culture, displayed
a collection from the State Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow, one of the
largest museums in Russia, along with icons from the Museum of Russian
Icons, a nonprofit educational museum.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_107233_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On May 4, 2009, the church calendar remembers Monnica, Mother of
Augustine of Hippo.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On May 4, 1851, Arthur J. Mason, hymn translator,
was born in England.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Bruckner - Mass No. 3 in F Minor" from Harmonia Mundi, by Anton
Bruckner, CD, 55:56 playtime, c. 2008, $19.98

[Harmonia Mundi] The Mass in F minor marks a turning point in the life
of Bruckner, then aged 44: crowning his long years of apprenticeship,
it announces the series of masterpieces he went on to compose during
his years in Vienna. The work illustrates the transition between a
certain religious academicism and the Wagnerian heritage, while also
reflecting a profoundly fragmented personality, to whom Philippe
Herreweghe has already devoted three critically acclaimed recordings.

>Track list:
>1. Kyrie
>2. Gloria
>3. Credo
>4. Sanctus
>5. Benedictus
>6. Agnus Dei

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org