From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN Editorial: Keeping company with youths as they experience life

From "Lydia Ma" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 4 May 2009 11:51:01 +0800

>      Taiwan Church News

>2983 Edition

>April 27~May 3, 2009

Editorial: Keeping company with youths as they experience life

>Translated by Lydia Ma

On the first Sunday of every May, the PCT commemorates “Youth

Ministries Sunday”. This is a day set aside so that every  member of the

PCT can reflect, pray, and show concern for youth ministries.

PCT ‘s youth fellowship, also known as TKC (or Tai-oan Ki-tok  tiun-lo

kau-hoe Chheng-lian thoan-khe), has experienced God’s  presence and

grace since it was first founded in May 3, 1949. The church  youths’ zeal

and enthusiasm has also revitalized and invigorated many churches  and

this accomplishment is certainly praiseworthy.

 From TKC’s mission statement written 60 years ago, we can see  the spirit

with which youths served their churches when sharing the gospel  and

living out their faiths. The TKC’s mission statement can be  translated as

>follow:

1.         We believe in Almighty God as our Father in Heaven. We  believe in

Jesus who was nailed to the cross as our Savior. We believe in the  unseen

>Holy Spirit as our Counselor.

2.         We believe that God’s truth sets us free,  Jesus’ love enables us to

enjoy equality, and the Holy Spirit’s power saves our country  and revives

>our nation.

3.         We believe that we need faith, hope, and love right  now, and the

>greatest need of all is love.

4.         We are willing to be Christ’s soldiers in fighting  evil.

5.         We are willing to be a light that shines in the  darkness. We are willing

to be the salt, seasoning and harmonizing all things.

6.         We are willing to forget what is behind us, look  forward, and press on

>toward the goal.

7.         We desire for everyone to enjoy God’s presence, so  that our work

>can be complete.

The statements above truly solidified the faith of youths during  that era and

motivated them into action. Their convictions and lives are  examples

youths in churches today should follow humbly.

It goes without saying that the lives, growth, and ministry of  youths require

support, guidance, and trust from churches. When it comes to  today’s

youths, some churches have only shown disappointment and pessimism

and have not really taken much time to listen and understand the  needs of

their youths. However, these churches should not lose heart  regarding

>youth ministries.

Churches need participation from youths, because they cannot be  renewed

without youths in their midst. After all, revolutionary ideas and  ministries

need to be spearheaded by church youths. The mission of churches  is to

equip youths using various opportunities so that youths can give  their lives

to serve others and become good guardians of the world and its  creation.

The goal of youth ministries is to help today’s youth to  emulate Jesus.

Many youths today have a lot of questions and problems hidden in  their

hearts and these burdens have not been lifted even though they go  to

church. Many youths are confused about the meaning and value of  life and

are passive members in today’s society. Though some youths  value

passionate worship and good spirituality, they do not have any  personal

conviction on issues related to social justice.

Therefore, I urge churches to take a closer look at youth  ministries and

make sure that techniques on how to share the gospel are not the  only

topics studied during youth gatherings. We must endeavor to be  more

involved in the lives of today’s youth so that they can  experience God’s

love more deeply, have a deeper sense of belonging when they  relate to

church and to God’s creation. When they experience these,  then, the

gospel will become tangible in their daily lives.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use the articles only if you acknowledge  the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter  and writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles. You may direct  comments and questions to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our web site: http://www.pctpress.org  (Chinese)