From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Flu concerns result in school, church closings / ACC asked to send covenant to provinces for a

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 4 May 2009 22:51:51 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Flu concerns result in school, church closings
* TOP STORY - ACC asked to send covenant to provinces for approval
* TOP STORY - Church of Uganda nominee denied participation in Anglican
Consultative Council
* WORLD REPORT - ZIMBABWE: Harare diocese elects Chad Nicholas Gandiya  as
bishop
* PEOPLE - Ramos-Orench to join diocesan services team for Province IX
* DAYBOOK - May 5, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Clergy Moms: A Survival Guide to Balancing Family and
Congregation

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Flu concerns result in school, church closings

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] As the number of people infected with swine flu
continues to increase nationwide, a small number of Episcopal schools  and
churches have decided to close temporarily. By Monday, the H1N1 virus  had
spread to 36 states, infecting 286 people (including one death),  according
to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Park City, Utah, canceled worship  services on
Sunday, May 3 "in support of our community's efforts to restrict the  spread
of the H1NI flu virus," according to the church's website. On May 2,  Summit
County health officials confirmed Park City's first case of swine flu.

"I've never cancelled Sunday services before, but the Summit County  Health
Department requested we do," said the Rev. Charles Robinson, St. Luke's
rector, in a telephone interview, adding that all of Park City's  religious
communities cancelled weekend worship services at the request of local
health officials.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107315_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

ACC asked to send covenant to provinces for approval

Head of drafting group warns that communion is 'close to the point of
breaking up'

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] The representatives of the
Anglican Consultative Council (ACC) meeting here May 2-12 are  considering
whether to ask the member provinces of the worldwide communion of  churches
to sign onto the latest version of the proposed Anglican covenant.

After a 40-minute presentation May 4 by retired Province of the West  Indies
Archbishop Drexel Gomez, who headed the covenant drafting group, the
representatives were given a draft resolution to guide their private
discussions between now and May 8, when they are due to decide on a  course
of action. The resolution calls for sending the covenant out for  adoption
and asks provinces to report by December 2014 "on the progress made in  the
processes of adoption and response to the covenant."

The resolution came to the ACC representatives from the Joint Standing
Committee of the ACC and the Primates, or leaders, of the communion's
churches. That committee met in Kingston last week before the ACC  meeting.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107307_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Church of Uganda nominee denied participation in Anglican Consultative
Council

>Former Episcopal priest's status questioned

>By Matthew Davies and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] A former Episcopal Church
priest accepted into the Church of Uganda in 2005 has not been allowed  to
participate in the May 2-12 meeting of the Anglican Consultative Council
here because his relationship with the East African province is "a  result of
a cross provincial intervention."

"The instruments of communion have each in different ways stated that
Anglicans should not exercise ministry in another jurisdiction without  the
permission of the bishop in that place," the Rev. Canon Kenneth Kearon,
Anglican Communion secretary general, said at a May 4 news briefing.  "That's
meant that interventions that have recently developed in North America  have
never been recognized by the instruments of communion. The Joint  Standing
Committee therefore felt that it was not possible to recognize an  American
priest resident and ministering in the United States as a duly qualified
representative of an African province."

Philip Ashey lives in Atlanta, Georgia and serves as chief operating  officer
of the conservative American Anglican Council. After he applied for  press
accreditation for the ACC meeting, the Church of Uganda nominated him as  its
clerical representative.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107314_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

ZIMBABWE: Harare diocese elects Chad Nicholas Gandiya as bishop

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] The Rev. Canon Chad Nicholas Gandiya, Africa
regional desk officer for the U.K.-based mission agency known as USPG:
Anglicans in Mission, has been elected to serve as the next bishop of  the
embattled Diocese of Harare in Zimbabwe.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_107301_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Ramos-Orench to join diocesan services team for Province IX

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] Bishop Wilfrido Ramos-Orench will join the
Episcopal Church's diocesan services team on August 15 as a part-time
partnership officer for Province IX, which includes Latin America and  the
Caribbean. Ramos-Orench is currently serving as provisional bishop of  the
Diocese of Central Ecuador. As partnership officer, Ramos-Orench will be
based in Puerto Rico.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_107303_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On May 5, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On May 5, 553, the Second Council of Constantinople
convened under the city's new patriarch Eutychius.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Clergy Moms: A Survival Guide to Balancing Family and Congregation"  from
Church Publishing, Inc., by Allison M. Moore, 180 pages, paperback, c.  2008,
$17

[Church Publishing, Inc.] Walking the tightrope of home and parish life  for
clergy parents is notoriously difficult in all the mainline Protestant
denominations, but most books on ordination and vocation ignore the  question
of family life. The ordination of women, the prevalence of two-career
marriages, the increasing need to care for aging family members, and the
recognition of non-traditional families have shed new light on clergy  family
dynamics within the family and the church. This book uses accounts of
experiences gathered through interviews and surveys of clergy and their
family members, primarily in the Episcopal Diocese of Newark. Its  ultimate
goal is to develop a holistic theology of vocation that has implications  for
the church, the clergy, and all families and nourishes and protects  faith
and family life.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org