From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archdiocesan Council inspired by the theme and mandate "Gather My People to My Home,"

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 13:58:00 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10075-0106
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0237
Web: http://www.goarch.org  - Email: communications@goarch.org

Contact: PRESS OFFICE
Stavros Papagermanos
pressoffice@goarch.org

ARCHDIOCESE CONTINUES ON THE PATH SET BY THE THEME OF THE
2008 CLERGY-LAITY CONGRESS "GATHER MY PEOPLE TO MY HOME"

NEW YORK ? Archbishop Demetrios of America convened the Archdiocesan Council, May 1st in New York, for its regular spring meeting.

NEW YORK ? Archbishop Demetrios of America convened the Archdiocesan Council, May 1st in New York, for its regular spring meeting.

The work of the Archdiocesan Council in general and its committees continued to be inspired by the theme and mandate "Gather My People to My Home," of the last Clergy-Laity Congress. The work focused on the assessment of progress made in the areas of administration, finances, stewardship, religious education, youth ministry, outreach and evangelism, technology, communications, Greek education, family care and several other ministries.

The members came away from the meeting with hope and encouragement as they ascertained that despite the economic crisis in the country and the world the revenue from the National Ministries Commitment program for 2008 reached a record of $16.8 million which reflects a record increase over 2007 of $1.5 million.

Archbishop Demetrios, in his opening remarks, conveyed the Patriarchal blessing and greeting of His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to the members of the Council and all the faithful of the Church in America. Noting the new conditions in the nation and the world and the effects of the economic crisis, the Archbishop spoke of the relevant impact on the work of the Church.  He pointed out that the Archdiocese makes a continuous effort to cope effectively with the crisis and not allow it to harm its ministries.
His Eminence also said that in his visits around the country, he observes that building activity of community centers, school classrooms and facilities and even church edifices in our parishes continue and do not seem to have diminished.
Mr. Michael Jaharis, the vice-president of the Archdiocesan Council addressed the meeting praising the work of the committees and expressing his optimism for getting through the tough economic times.

The various ministry committees of the Archdiocesan Council, that had met the day before, presented their reports offering new ideas and approaches in their respective areas of ministry work. Following all reports there was constructive discussion associated with the issues and the life of the Church. It was also announced that the 2010 Clergy-Laity Congress will take place on July 4-7, in Atlanta, Georgia.

Dr. Anthony Limberakis, the National Commander of the Order of St. Andrew, Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, reported on the work of the Order in defense of the issues relating to the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

In closing, the Archbishop announced the visit of His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in late October 2009, informing that specific dates and the schedule will be forthcoming.

== 30 ==