From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Listening Process ready to move to next phase / Video: Caribbean-style Eucharist greets ACC me

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 7 May 2009 10:06:21 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Listening Process ready to move to next phase
* TOP STORY - Anglican Consultative Council Digest
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - SAN JOAQUIN: Court ruling 'tentatively' favors  Episcopal
Church, diocese
* WORLD REPORT - SRI LANKA: Colombo diocese, ERD provide emergency aid  to
those displaced by violence
* MISSION - Christian unity workshop explores difficult issues
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Caribbean-style Eucharist greets ACC members
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: May 6 media briefing - Bishop Gregory Cameron on  the
Windsor Continuation Group report
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - May 10 - Fifth Sunday of Easter - Year B
* DAYBOOK - May 7, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Mary's Hours: Daily Prayers with the Mother of God

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>Listening Process ready to move to next phase

Anglican Consultative Council supports renewal of cross-communion
conversations

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] The Anglican Consultative
Council (ACC) asked May 6 for a renewal of the Anglican Communion's  process
of listening to homosexual persons and those who struggle with the full
inclusion of such persons in the life of the church.

A resolution passed by the ACC on the fifth day of its May 2-12 meeting  here
says the council "recognizes that listening is a long-term process" and  is
linked to the Windsor Continuation Group's call (in paragraph 26 of its
final report) for "gracious restraint" from blessing same-gender
relationships and the ordination and consecration as bishops of people
living in such relationships.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107394_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Anglican Consultative Council Digest

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] Much happens each day  during
the Anglican Consultative Council's (ACC) 14th meeting. In addition to
Episcopal Life Media's regular coverage, here's some of what else went  on
May 6, the fifth day of the May 2-12 gathering:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107399_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

SAN JOAQUIN: Court ruling 'tentatively' favors Episcopal Church, diocese

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] A Fresno County, California, judge, who  tentatively
ruled that Bishop Jerry Lamb and not John-David Schofield is the  legitimate
episcopal authority in the Diocese of San Joaquin, is expected to make a
final determination within the next several days.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_107387_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

SRI LANKA: Colombo diocese and ERD provide emergency aid to those  displaced
by violence

[Episcopal Relief and Development] Episcopal Relief and Development, the
international relief and development agency of the Episcopal Church, is
working with the Diocese of Colombo to provide shelter, bedding, food,  water
and medical assistance to people of Sri Lanka who have been displaced by
current hostilities between the government and the Liberation Tigers of
Tamil Eelam (LTTE).

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_107396_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Christian unity workshop explores difficult issues

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] Financial struggles and slowdowns in major
religious dialogues characterized the conversation at the 42nd annual
National Workshop on Christian Unity (NWCU), held April 27-30 in  Phoenix.

"All of us are struggling with financial difficulties," said Bishop
Christopher Epting, deputy for ecumenical and interreligious relations  for
the Episcopal Church, in a telephone interview. "When churches catch  cold,
ecumenism catches pneumonia."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_107391_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

Videos: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Video: Caribbean-style Eucharist greets ACC members

[Episcopal News Service] Thousands of Jamaican Anglicans worshipped
alongside members of the Anglican Consultative Council May 3. All of the
Anglican churches in Jamaica were closed so that their members could  attend
the Caribbean-style Eucharist that marked the opening of the ACC  meeting.
Hosted by the Diocese of Jamaica and the Cayman Islands, the service in  the
Kingston National Arena combined reggae music with Anglican liturgy. ENS
international correspondent Matthew Davies reports.

>- - - - -

Video: May 6 media briefing - Bishop Gregory Cameron on the Windsor
Continuation Group report

[Episcopal News Service] Welsh Diocese of St. Asaph Bishop Gregory  Cameron,
outgoing deputy secretary general of the Anglican Communion, addresses  the
media May 6 on the report of the Windsor Continuation Group which deals  with
issues such as the moratoria on same-gender blessings, cross-border
interventions and the ordination of gay and lesbian people to the
episcopate.

>- - - - -

Videos: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

>May 10 - Fifth Sunday of Easter - Year B

(RCL) Acts 8:26-40; Psalm 22:24-30; 1 John 4:7-21; John 15:1-8

>By the Rev. Angela V. Askew

[Sermons That Work] Philip the Deacon was one of the seven appointed  deacons
Luke mentions in the sixth chapter of Acts, and he is perhaps more  properly
thought of as Philip the Evangelist. His preaching mission in Samaria  not
only brought the followers of Simon Magus to be baptized as followers of
Jesus, but also converted the magician himself, who was amazed at the  signs
and miracles that were taking place around Philip's preaching. In  today's
reading from the Acts of the Apostles, Philip is nudged by an angel of  the
Lord to put himself in the way of meeting a very powerful person indeed:  the
chief treasurer, who was also a eunuch, from the court of the Candace of
Ethiopia.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_107157_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On May 7, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On May 7, 1577, Puritan meetings were forbidden by
Elizabeth I of England.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Mary's Hours: Daily Prayers with the Mother of God" from Church  Publishing,
Inc., by Penelope Duckworth, 151 pages, hardcover, c. 2009, $20

[Church House Publishing] A contemporary book of daily prayers,  scripture,
and meditations organized in a week-long cycle of devotion to God  through
the life of the Virgin Mary. Organized upon the joys and sorrows of the
Marian Rosary, this prayer book encompasses the life of Mary as she  followed
her son and experienced her own discipleship. It gives those who use it  a
deeper appreciation of the life of the woman, traditionally recognized  as
first among the saints, who has been cherished as a soul friend to
Christians since the beginning of the church.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org