From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN Editorial: Bringing our children before God

From "Lydia Ma" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 8 May 2009 11:27:48 +0800

>Taiwan Church News

>2984 Edition

>May 4~10, 2009

>Editorial: Bringing our children before God

>Translated by Lydia Ma

A Chinese author once wrote a story about a trainer who saw a wounded  young eagle that had fallen from a tree. Because he loved

eagles, the trainer picked up the young eagle and began to teach it how  to fly and hunt. His goal was to transform this ordinary eagle

into the highest and farthest flying bird. At the end of the story, the  trainer removed the blinders from the eagle’s eyes and released

it into the sky. The eagle, relishing the fresh air and its newfound  freedom, flew away and disappeared into the vast and blue sky

>above.

I was really touched after reading this story. As a parent in this  challenging day and age, we are called to be trainers who will teach

and guide our children how to fly. Mothers play an especially important  role in building and molding a child’s life.

Mothers are examples of God’s love and they play a crucial role in  bringing their children before God. As we celebrate the heroism

displayed by every mother during this Mother’s Day, I can’t  help but be reminded of the huge inheritance and responsibility God

has bestowed on mothers and, once again, bring my children before God in  surrender.

Parents today tend to be over-protective of their children by doing  everything for them. However, every stage in life is filled with

lessons to be learned so that we can mature. When parents are  over-protective, they deprive their children from learning these

important lessons and growing in maturity and strength. Like butterflies  that rely on the struggle out from their cocoons to crystallize

their beauty and strength, children undergo a similar process as they  mature into adulthood.

Therefore, it is necessary for parents to release their hold on their  children to a reasonable extent. As parents consider how to lead

their children in this world and prevent them from lagging behind, many  are filled with fear and worry inside. Parents who wish to

release their worries must surrender their children into God’s  hands and let God take over. This is ultimately the best thing we can

>do.

The Apostle John wrote, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my  children are walking in the truth.” (3 John 4). To help our

children live in freedom, we must teach them to walk with God. This is  the only way for a mother to feel genuine joy and

contentment in her heart when thinking about her children.

We believe that every life comes from God. Mothers are crucial  participants in God’s creation design and they have been given an

important mission, which is to educate their children into becoming men  and women who will please God. Mothers fulfill this role

best and our love is made complete when we surrender our children to God  and teach them to walk in God’s ways.

However, we often fall short of being good role models as mothers and  relegate our responsibilities to cram schools, baby-sitters,

or other institutions. We do not spend enough time and energy in  solidifying our children’s faith and allow their religious  upbringing

>to lag behind.

As we celebrate Mother’s Day, let us not only thank God for our  mothers who have given us a glimpse of God’s love, but also

reflect on whether we, as mothers, have given our best in responding to  God’s call. What have we given our children? Knowledge?

Education? Wealth? Our companionship? And have we given them the best  foundation they could have for their lives – their faith?

>Have we brought them before the Lord?

May the Holy Spirit strengthen all mothers with wisdom, love, and  respect for the Lord. May God guide all mothers as they teach

their children about God and how to walk in God’s ways. May all  mothers feel incomparable joy and encouragement as they see

>their children walk in God’s truth.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use the articles only if you acknowledge the  source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles. You may direct  comments and questions to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our web site: http://www.pctpress.org  (Chinese)