From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Divisions are deep but can be healed, Canterbury tells ACC / Ecumenical partners pledge to con

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 12 May 2009 13:07:08 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Divisions are deep but can be healed, Archbishop of  Canterbury
tells ACC
* TOP STORY - Church Publishing accelerates electronic products,  suspends
mass-market publishing, lays off nine staff
* TOP STORY - Anglican Consultative Council Digest
* TOP STORY - Ecumenical partners pledge to continue journey with  Anglican
Communion
* WORLD REPORT - ITALY: Anglican Centre in Rome plans to identify future
leaders
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: David Richardson on the Anglican Centre in Rome
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Presiding Bishop reflects on ACC meeting
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Archbishop of Canterbury delivers ACC presidential
address
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Outgoing, incoming ACC chairs address media
* OPINION - Letters: Episcopal Life Monthly May 2009
* ARTS - Remembering Harriet Bedell: Artists portray Everglades where
missionary served
* DAYBOOK - May 12, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Bedtime Prayers

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Divisions are deep but can be healed, Archbishop of Canterbury tells ACC

Communion's future rests on how it structures its relationships,  Williams
says

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] Archbishop of Canterbury  Rowan
Williams in his presidential address to the Anglican Consultative  Council
(ACC) here May 11 compared the Anglican Communion's long-standing  divisions
to those in the Holy Land.

"The other day we were giving quite intense attention to the situation  in
the Holy Land and in that discussion I thought there are echoes of  language
we hear nearer home," Williams said. "Well, thank God, our divisions and  our
fears are not as deep and as poisonous as those between communities in  the
Holy Land, but I think you may see why some of the same language
occasionally awakes echoes."

It was also through the lens of Holy Land politics that Williams  suggested
during his address a possible way forward.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107486_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Church Publishing accelerates electronic products, suspends mass-market
publishing, lays off nine staff

>By Solange De Santis

[Episcopal News Service] Church Publishing Inc. (CPI), which produces  books
and religious items that include Episcopal Church prayer books and  hymnals,
on May 9 announced several moves that it said will "strengthen its  position
as a denominational publisher of excellence in these times of economic
travail."

The New York-based publisher will accelerate the release of several
electronic products, but also announced that in response to a "steep  market
decline in trade-book publishing," it will suspend publication of books  for
a general audience. Scaling back such activity in its Seabury Books  imprint
has resulted in the layoff of nine staff, said Nancy Fisher, director of
communications for the Church Pension Group. The publishing operation is  an
affiliate company of the pension group, which manages the Episcopal  Church's
pension fund, among other operations.

The market decline means that CPI "will be reconfiguring the scope of  its
book publishing program to focus more intentionally on 'core'  publications
that directly relate to liturgical and worship practices in the church,"
according to the announcement.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107483_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Anglican Consultative Council Digest

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg and Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] Much happens each day  during
the Anglican Consultative Council's (ACC) 14th meeting. In addition to
Episcopal Life Media's regular coverage, here's some of what else went  on
May 10, the tenth day of the May 2-12 gathering.

* ACC chair and successor consider past, present, future
* Four ACC members elected to Standing Committee
* ACC passes budget with 3% increase in contribution request
* Provinces asked to celebrate 'Season of Creation'
* ACC adds to work of Unity, Faith, Order commission
* Compass Rose Society's request for close link gets nod
* ACC members recognize post-conflict rebuilding effort
* Council asks next ACC meeting to consider adding to Marks of Mission
* ACC members encounter Jamaican ministry
* U.N. observer reports to ACC
* Group calls for new vote on covenant postponement; chair says ACC knew
nature of decisions
* Advocacy group criticizes ACC's affirmation of moratoria

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107481_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Ecumenical partners pledge to continue journey with Anglican Communion

ACC passes multi-faceted statement on ecumenical matters

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] Two of the six ecumenical
guests attending the Anglican Consultative Council (ACC) meeting here  said
that tension over defining the Anglican Communion are not unexpected,  are
similar to challenges they face and do not threaten their partnerships  with
Anglicans.

Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada Eastern Synod Bishop Michael Pryse
told reporters on May 9 that "the strains and stresses that you are
experiencing in the communion" are not damaging to Anglicans'  relationship
with the Lutheran World Federation, which he represents.

"Most of us that are engaged ecumenically recognize that many of those
issues are being experienced and struggled with right across the  spectrum,"
he said. "This is not a debate that is particularly Anglican. All  Christian
communities are dealing with these issues. I think an honest recognition  [of
that] is something that we need."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107478_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

ITALY: Anglican Centre in Rome plans to identify future leaders

>By Solange De Santis

[Episcopal Life] The Anglican Centre in Rome plans to resurrect an idea  that
has borne rich fruit before: giving future leaders of the Anglican  Communion
a sense of the many influences and pressures that are reality for the  church
in the modern world.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_107472_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

Videos: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

David Richardson on the Anglican Centre in Rome

[Episcopal News Service] The Very Rev. David Richardson, director of the
Anglican Centre in Rome, speaks about the ministry of the center, which  aims
to develop friendly and informed relations between the Roman Catholic  Church
and the Anglican Communion.

>- - - - -

>Presiding Bishop reflects on ACC meeting

[Episcopal News Service] Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori  reflects
on the May 2-12 meeting on the Anglican Consultative Council in  Kingston,
Jamaica.

>- - - - -

Archbishop of Canterbury delivers ACC presidential address

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams  delivers
his presidential address May 11 as part of the Anglican Consultative  Council
meeting in Kingston, Jamaica.

>- - - - -

>Incoming, outgoing ACC chairs address media

[Episcopal News Service] Outgoing Anglican Consultative Council Chair  and
Diocese of Auckland Bishop John Paterson reflects on his tenure as he
prepares to pass the chairmanship to Diocese of Southern Malawi Bishop  James
Tengatenga. Paterson and Tengatenga address the media May 11 in  Kingston,
Jamaica.

>- - - - -

Videos: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Letters: Episcopal Life Monthly May 2009

[Episcopal Life] Letters that appeared in the May 2009 edition of  Episcopal
Life Monthly are available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_107466_ENG_HTM.htm.

Episcopal Life welcomes letters, especially those with pictures, and  will
give preference to those in response to stories. Letters should be no  longer
than 250 words and must include the writer's name, address and phone  number
for verification. Send to Letters, Episcopal Life, 815 Second Ave., New
York, NY 10017; or email to letters@episcopal-life.org. All letters will  be
edited for brevity and clarity.

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

>Remembering Harriet Bedell

Artists portray Everglades where missionary served

>By Jerry Hames

[Episcopal Life] With the likelihood that Harriet Bedell, a deaconess  and
missionary to Florida's Seminoles and Miccosukee Indians, will be  canonized
at this General Convention, her ministry is gaining greater visibility
throughout the state thanks to its writers, artists and crafters.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_107476_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On May 12, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On May 12, 1952, Dom Gregory Dix, liturgical scholar  and
author of The Shape of the Liturgy, died.

>CATALYST

"Bedtime Prayers" from HarperCollins Publishers, edited by Jennifer  Frantz,
illustrated by Renée Graef, 22 pages, paperback, Ages 3-6, c. 2007,  $3.99

[HarperCollins Publishers] The time just before bed is a special one for
talking to God. Filled with prayers of thanks, praise, and guidance,  this
book makes the perfect companion for an early reader's bedtime prayers.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org