From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Lively worship at historic Spanish Town cathedral closes ACC meeting / Videos: ACC participant

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 01:20:08 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Lively worship at historic Spanish Town cathedral closes  ACC
meeting
* TOP STORY - Anglican Consultative Council meeting closes on hopeful  note
* TOP STORY - Anglican Consultative Council Digest
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - WESTERN MICHIGAN: Abbey dedicates 20-year, $3.9  million
construction project
* MISSION - U.S. friends donate $50,000 to Canterbury Cathedral
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: ACC participants reflect on meeting
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Archbishop of Canterbury addresses media at  conclusion
of ACC meeting
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - May 17 - Sixth Sunday of Easter - Year B
* DAYBOOK - May 13, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Jesus Wept - When Faith & Depression Meet

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Lively worship at historic Spanish Town cathedral closes ACC meeting

Reggae and incense bookend council's time in Jamaica

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] The 14th meeting of the
Anglican Consultative Council (ACC) ended May 12 the way it began: in
lively, upbeat Jamaican-style Anglican worship.

By the time the procession made its way down the aisle of St. Jago de la
Vega Cathedral in the Spanish Town section of Kingston, the  representatives
had finished their official work and were ready to celebrate and put  their
sometimes-contentious debates into a large context.

"Have we manufactured a large stone called 'an Anglican covenant' that  will
seal off creative, faithful life in the communion?" asked Diocese of
Auckland Bishop John Paterson, referring to the stone closing off Jesus'
tomb and the council's work on the proposed Anglican covenant, in his  sermon
at the ACC's closing Eucharist. "I trust not."

More than 500 people packed St. Jago de la Vega Cathedral -- believed to  the
be the oldest Anglican Cathedral outside the British Isles -- for the
Eucharist celebrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams. The  ACC
met in Kingston from May 2-12.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107507_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Anglican Consultative Council meeting closes on hopeful note

Communion still faces questions about future shape, authority

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] Members of the Anglican
Consultative Council (ACC) ended their May 2-12 meeting here with a  sense of
hope and commitment to the communion, rather than simply, as one  delegate
put it, with "an answer about sex."

"We are going home with a sense that the communion is about all of us
hopefully having discussions together on many topics, and developing and
living into reconciliation and peace-making, not by ignoring everything  else
but by considering everything else and emerging hopeful," said Suzanne
Lawson, lay representative of the Anglican Church of Canada.

"We go home with hope," she added in a report to plenary from a  discernment
group discussion. "Almost all of us came here with very little of it. We
were very worried, very burdened -- some were afraid and told to come  back
with an answer about sex."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107504_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Anglican Consultative Council Digest

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg and Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service -- Kingston, Jamaica] Much happens each day  during
the Anglican Consultative Council's (ACC) 14th meeting. In addition to
Episcopal Life Media's regular coverage, here's some of what else went  on
May 12, the final day of the gathering, which began on May 2.

* Council asks Primates Meeting to include ACC standing committee  members
* Two churches' request for extra-provincial membership gets ACC  attention
* Korean reunification efforts get ACC endorsement
* Council watches world's trouble spots
* ACC gives round of thanks and greetings

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_107494_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

WESTERN MICHIGAN: Abbey dedicates 20-year, $3.9 million construction  project

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] The saws and the hammers silenced, peace has
returned to St. Gregory's Abbey in Three Rivers, Michigan.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_107501_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

U.S. friends donate $50,000 to Canterbury Cathedral

>By ENS Staff

[Episcopal News Service] - The Friends of Canterbury Cathedral in the  United
States has authorized a gift of $50,000 to the cathedral, the mother  church
of the Anglican Communion located in Canterbury, England. The Friends
dedicated $25,000 of the gift for scholarships to the cathedral's
International Study Centre, and $25,000 to be used as cathedral dean  Robert
Willis and his canons deem best.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_107491_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

Videos: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>ACC participants reflect on meeting

[Episcopal News Service] Anglican Consultative Council participants  reflect
on their May 2-12 meeting in Kingston, Jamaica.

>- - - - -

Archbishop of Canterbury addresses media at conclusion of ACC meeting

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams  addresses
the media May 12 at the conclusion of the Anglican Consultative Council
meeting in Kingston, Jamaica.

>- - - - -

Videos: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

>May 17 - Sixth Sunday of Easter - Year B

(RCL) Acts 10:44-48, Psalm 98, 1 John 5:1-6; John 15:9-17

>By the Rev. Timothy B. Safford

[Sermons That Work] In the Acts of the Apostles, we see our Christian  Church
in its earliest, most perfect and probably most idealized form. There  were
no buildings, doctrines, vestments, or rituals; just the power of the  Holy
Spirit giving the preached Word of God the power to transform death into
life, making the lost found, the captive free, the lame to walk, the  blind
to see, and giving the hopeless hope.

For whom is the gift of the Holy Spirit intended: some or all? And to  whom
are we, if fortunate enough to have received the gift of God's Spirit,  going
to give it: some or all?

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_107183_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On May 13, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On May 13, 1842, Sir Arthur Seymour Sullivan,  English
composer, was born at Bolwell Terrace, Lambeth (London), England.   Sullivan
composed some 72 hymns, most of them in the period 1861-75. The most  famous
of these are "Onward, Christian Soldiers" (1872, lyrics by Sabine
Baring-Gould) and "Nearer, my God, to Thee" (the "Propior Deo" version).

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Jesus Wept - When Faith & Depression Meet" from Wiley, by Barbara C.
Crafton, 164 pages, hardcover, c. 2009, $19.95

[Wiley] In this distinctive new book, Crafton is seeking to explore
depression as it affected (for better or worse) by Christian faith. She
contends that it is harder for people of faith to come to terms with
depression, and they often don't seek the appropriate kind of help and
treatment. They may also attribute the causes to something they have  done,
rather than to its true root in physiology and genetics. Having herself
suffered from depression, Crafton uses her own experiences in the book  as a
touchstone.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org