From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Bulletin inserts for May 24 report on meeting of Anglican Consultative Council

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 16 May 2009 13:50:27 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Bulletin inserts for May 24 report on meeting of
Anglican Consultative Council
* WORLD REPORT - EUROPE: Churches mark assembly that symbolized end of
Iron Curtain
* PEOPLE - Episcopal Divinity School bestows three honorary doctorates
* ARTS - Angels and Demons a fun film, if not quite heavenly
* DAYBOOK - May 18, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - The Moses Basket

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Bulletin inserts for May 23 report on meeting of Anglican Consultative
Council

Episcopal Life Weekly bulletin inserts for Sunday, May 24, contain a
final report from the recently concluded meeting of the Anglican
Consultative Council meeting in Kingston, Jamaica.

The report, written by Episcopal Life correspondent Mary Frances
Schjonberg, outlines actions taken by the Council, which is the
Anglican Communion's most representative decision-making body and
includes bishops, clergy and laity. While the 40-year-old council has
no jurisdiction over the provinces of the communion, it makes policy
and encourages the communion's members to engage together in mission
and ministry.

Bulletin inserts may be downloaded at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

EUROPE: Churches mark assembly that symbolized end of Iron Curtain

>By Stephen Brown

[Ecumenical News International, Geneva] Christians in Europe are
marking 20 years since a gathering of virtually all of the continent's
churches in Switzerland that they say became a symbol of overcoming a
crumbling Iron Curtain.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_107748_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Episcopal Divinity School bestows three honorary doctorates

[EDS] Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge, Massachusetts conferred
honorary degrees (doctor of divinity, honoris causa) on three
individuals "with distinguished and faithful ministries in social
justice": Bishop Michael Ingham of the Diocese of New Westminster in
the Anglican Church of Canada; the Honorable Deval Patrick, governor
of the commonwealth of Massachusetts; and the Rev. Margaret G. Payne,
bishop of the New England Synod, Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_107742_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

Angels and Demons a fun film, if not quite heavenly

>By Martha Baker

>ANGELS AND DEMONS
>Directed by Ron Howard
>Starring Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor, Ayelet Zurer, Stellan Skarsgård,
>Pierfrancesco Favino, Nikolaj Lie Kaas, and Armin Mueller-Stahl
>138 minutes, Rated PG13 (sequences of violence, disturbing images)

[Episcopal Life] Angels and Demons, a film based on Dan Brown's 2000
novel, is just as talky as The Da Vinci Code an earlier movie based on
Brown's 2003 novel. Angels is stuffed with exposition and lectures and
religious history -- or fiction, depending on your viewpoint.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_107746_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On May 18, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On May 17, 1851, the first Episcopal church was
established in Oregon. The Rev. William Richmond and the Rev. Michael
Fackler organized Trinity Parish in Portland.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"The Moses Basket" from Wm. B Eerdmans Publishing Co., by Jenny
Koralek & Pauline Baynes, 32 pages, hardcover, baby - preschool
reading level, c. 2003, $16

[Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.] Long, long ago in the land of Egypt,
a Hebrew mother and her daughter, Miriam, hide a newborn baby boy in a
basket that they float down the Nile River to save the child?s life.
Rescued from the river by the Egyptian princess, Pharaoh?s daughter,
the boy is named Moses.  When he grows up, he leads the Israelite
people out of slavery.

Beautifully written and sumptuously illustrated, this picture book
presentation of a favorite Bible story will delight young readers.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

General Convention in January.