From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN: Yu-Shan Seminary seeks support from churches in training aboriginal pastors

From "Lydia Ma" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 10:23:17 +0800

>Taiwan Church News

>2985 Edition

>May 11~17, 2009

Yu-Shan Seminary seeks support in training aboriginal pastors

>Reported by Lin Yi-ying

>Written by Lydia Ma

The third Sunday of May has traditionally been set aside by the  Presbyterian Church in Taiwan as “Yu-Shan Seminary Sunday”. On  this day, churches are urged to make a special offering toward the  seminary and support its ministry among aboriginals.

Yu-Shan Theological College and Seminary currently has 187 students  enrolled in the school. Without taking into account students studying  Lay Theology and those pursuing Master of Ministry degrees, there are  137 students in all. The ethnic background of these students include 15  Taroko natives, 16 Amis natives, 20 Paiwan natives, 34 Atayal natives,  25 Bunun natives, 3 Tao natives, 5 Rukai natives, 5 Sediq natives, 1  Tsou native, and 13 Han Chinese.

>From these demographics, Yu-Shan Seminary has earned the reputation as  the seminary that trains aboriginal clergy in Taiwan. We hope that  Christians in Taiwan can continue to support this seminary through  prayers and donations so that it can continue producing well-trained  pastors and playing a crucial role in evangelism.

Yu-Shan Seminary published a new book this year on self-identity and  aboriginals missions and will be giving it for free to all churches  across Taiwan as a token of appreciation for their long-standing  commitment and financial support. The seminary’s Research and  Promotion Center also plans to hold four sessions of advanced education  classes for pastors, two aboriginal youth development camps, a camp for  aboriginal college students focusing on Bible and culture, a forum on  aboriginal theology, and a forum on aboriginal self-determination  movement in Taiwan. The purpose of these seminars and camps is to  strengthen relationships and interaction between church, seminary, and  society.

In a formal greeting letter addressed to churches, Yu-Shan Seminary  President Rev. Pusin Tali mentioned the seminary has been preparing  itself and actively engaging with the Ministry of Education to receive  formal accreditation. It hopes that once accredited, it might attract  aboriginal government employees and teachers into studying at the  seminary. Through cooperation with other social organizations, it hopes  to share the gospel with more communities and aboriginals.

There are currently 20 full-time faculty members at Yu-Shan. The  seminary budgets $3 million NTD annually on training its own faculty and  other aboriginal pastors so that they can take some classes. Many  students studying at Yu-Shan are in need of financial support, prompting  the seminary to set aside a special financial aid and bursary fund of $8  million NTD. The seminary also hopes to restart its building project in  August after receiving a building license and this project could cost  over $120 million NTD. In light of these needs, the seminary hopes that  Christians across Taiwan can contribute by praying and financially  supporting it so that it can continue to equip God’s servants.

To help churches become acquainted with Yu-shan Seminary and its  ministries, the school’s Naruan Choir often performs and makes  small presentations at churches across Taiwan and even overseas  churches. Besides performing aboriginal songs and dances, they also use  rare aboriginal instruments during their presentations and show video  clips of the school’s scenery. Often times, touching video clips  make listeners feel as if they are on the grounds of the campus and  walking in the woods themselves.

Naruan Choir plans to hold two music concerts this month. The first  concert will be held on May 16th at 7:30 p.m. at Jing-Mei Presbyterian  Church in Taipei. The second concert will be held on May 26th at 7:30  p.m. at Mei-Lun Baptist Church in Hualien. Both concerts are open to the  public.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use the articles only if you acknowledge the  source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles. You may direct  comments and questions to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/   (English)