From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Relating to other religions: A vintage article by Rowan Williams still seems fresh

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 04:44:40 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* OPINION - Relating to other religions: A vintage article by Rowan
Williams still seems fresh
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - May 24, 2009 - Seventh Sunday of Easter - Year  B
* DAYBOOK - May 21, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Renewing the Face of the Earth - A Theological and
Pastoral Response to Climate Change

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Relating to other religions

A vintage article by Rowan Williams still seems fresh

>By Frederick Quinn

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopalians increasingly back into the
question of how Christianity should relate to other religions. An
African-American woman priest claims dual membership in Islam and
Christianity. A bishop-elect draws on the richness of Buddhist
spirituality in his prayer life.

This is not new. The Trappist monk, Thomas Merton, introduced the
spirituality of Eastern religions to mainstream America in the 1960s
and his books have been bestsellers ever since.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_107874_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

May 24, 2009 - Seventh Sunday of Easter - Year B

>By the Rev. Debbie Royals

We have arrived at the end of the Easter season in the church
calendar. Throughout the season we heard the stories once again
recounting the resurrection and ascension of Jesus, and we read about
how the apostles, disciples, and followers of Jesus adjusted to the
idea of Scripture fulfilled.

Like the apostles, we have been given time, through the stories, to
understand how this journey and especially how the resurrection helps
us to be what we have been called to be. This has been a period of
discernment as we redefine what Easter means and how it changes who we
are and our lives.

Today's gospel takes it to the next level. This is the point in our
journey where we ask ourselves how God is calling us and what God is
calling us to be and to do.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_107573_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On May 21, 2009, the church calendar remembers Ascension Day.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On May 21, 1981, John Forsythe Ashby was
consecrated as the second bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Western
Kansas at St. John's Military School.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Renewing the Face of the Earth - A Theological and Pastoral Response
to Climate Change" from Canterbury Press Norwich, by David Atkinson,
166 pages, paperback, c. 2009, $22.99

[Canterbury Press Norwich] This important and timely book provides a
much needed framework for understanding and responding to the most
urgent environmental challenge facing the word today.

In a highly readable and clear style, it explores the spiritual
questions being opened up by this issue: questions about human life
and destiny, about our relationship to the planet and to each other,
about altriusm and selfishness, about the place of technology, about
justice, our values and hopes.

A framework for considering these issues is provided by the ancient
Hebrew concepts of covenant - God's commitment to creation which the
author argues is the 'inner meaning' of creation, and sabbath --
regular times of rest and replenishment for humans and for the earth
itself.

Seeing climate changes in the light of these foundational biblical
principles makes clear the strong moral imperative to act in ways that
will help fulfill the hope that the whole of creation will one day be
renewed in Christ.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org