From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[LCMSNews] Congregation helps family after tragedy

From "LCMS e-News" <LCMSENEWS@lcms.org>
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 17:49:37 -0500

>5.21.2009
>	LCMS News
>

>THE LUTHERAN CHURCH Missouri Synod

	May 21, 2009 .................... LCMSNews -- No. 42

Congregation commits to family torn by tragedy

>By Linda C. Hoops

"We are committed to support this family, no matter what it takes."
These are the words of Rev. Donald C. Porter, pastor of Mount Calvary
Evangelical Lutheran Church, Fort Wayne, Ind.

The family he is talking about is that of 3-year-old Laura Lynette
VanNiekerk, who police believe was killed May 1 by her father, Johan
VanNiekerk, in a motel in Battle Creek, Mich.  Also found dead at the
scene was Laura's grandmother, Brenda VanNiekerk, 72.

Laura's two sisters, Samantha, 11, and Olivia, 6, attend Unity Lutheran
School, which is sponsored by Mount Calvary and Peace Lutheran Churches
in Fort Wayne, although they are not members of either congregation.
This is the first year the girls have attended the school.

"LuAnn Lebeau, the principal at Unity, called me on the Saturday morning
after the bodies were discovered to come to the VanNiekerk's apartment,"
Porter said in an e-mail to LCMSNews.  "Donna (the mother) had no idea
what to do about planning a funeral.  After I offered to make the
arrangements for her, she accepted willingly, very grateful not to have
to worry about all the arrangements."

Randy Keplinger, a member of Mount Calvary, donated the services of the
funeral home.  Other costs related to the funeral, such as the casket,
grave site, and opening and closing of the grave, were paid by a person
who wished to remain anonymous.

"In addition, people stepped forward to take the family on a shopping
trip to purchase appropriate clothing for the family for the funeral,"
Porter wrote.

The grandmother's remains were cremated and sent to the residence of a
son in Florida.

Principal LeBeau shared the ways faculty, staff, and students at Unity
had supported the family, including giving them a portion of the profits
from the school's annual spring carnival, selling bracelets, and
planning a benefit in June.

"We also set up a calendar so parents could sign up to bring evening
meals to the family," said LeBeau.  "So far, we've got all their meals
covered through the end of the school year."

Special compassion has been shared with both first-grader Olivia and
sixth-grader Samantha, who is also receiving academic support with
LeBeau's daughter in a study group.

LeBeau feels the sisters were blessed to be enrolled in a Lutheran
school when the tragedy occurred.

"That's the wonderful thing about our Lutheran schools, that this event
did affect our whole school family with everybody reaching out with
their prayers and love for this family.  It's been incredible."

She also praised the Indiana District crisis team for providing
informational sessions for teachers and parents on helping children deal
with tragedies and for counseling the students.

Although information about the killings from court documents and police
remains sparse, it appears that the "weapon" used in the killings was a
drug overdose.  Fort Wayne police say VanNiekerk, a native of South
Africa who emigrated here, had recently separated from his wife and lost
his job.  Sometime on Friday, he left the area with his mother and
daughter.  Investigators have not determined whether he abducted his
child and mother or whether they went with him willingly.

Police were able to locate VanNiekerk at the motel by tracking his cell
phone use.  He apparently had tried to also take his life and suffered
minor injuries when police arrived on the scene.  VanNiekerk, 41, is
charged with two counts of open murder and one count of first-degree
child abuse.

With the outpouring of support for the family from the community, Porter
said there were many "unchurched" people who attended the funeral.

"I used the opportunity to ask the question many were asking themselves:
'Why did this happen?'  Of course, that's not the right question.
That's attempting to blame God for this tragedy.  I explained how sin
and evil came into the world through the fall of mankind, not through
God.  It was important to tell this story to the audience; it was a
great witnessing opportunity," Porter said.

"The support given to this family by our churches, school, and community
says that we are not going to allow anyone to be isolated when a tragedy
like this happens.  We live in difficult times, and we are touched by
evil.  Nevertheless, we have a powerful weapon against evil, and that is
Christ and His love. We will smother the VanNiekerk family with that
love."

Linda C. Hoops is a freelance writer and a member of Lutheran Church of
the Resurrection, Sunset Hills, Mo.

If you have questions or comments about this LCMSNews release, contact
Joe Isenhower Jr. at joe.isenhower@lcms.org
<mailto:joe.isenhower@lcms.org>  or (314) 996-1231, or Paula Schlueter
Ross at paula.ross@lcms.org <mailto:paula.ross@lcms.org>  or (314)
996-1230.

This Edition of "LCMS News" e-News is provided
by:

Board for Communication Services, Division of News and Information

Contact Editor

<http://www.lcms.org/enews/contact_editor.asp?title=LCMS%20News&editori d
=6>

This LCMS e-News message comes from a "Send Only" mailbox that
does not recognize replies. To reply to this message, please click on
"Contact Editor" above.

>_____

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from this Newsletter and many others,
please visit LCMS e-News <http://www.lcms.org/enews> .
Share this Newsletter <http://www.lcms.org/enews/forward.asp?m=7607
with a Friend.
MessageId=7607 UserId=10073

>_____

© 2002 - 2008 The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod  <http://www.lcms.org/
.
No reproduction without consent. All rights reserved.