From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Church Leaders, Theologians Seek Rejection of Task Force Documents

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 10:38:04 -0500

Title: Church Leaders, Theologians Seek Rejection of Task Force Documents
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>May 22, 2009

Church Leaders, Theologians Seek Rejection of Task Force Documents
09-119-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- In an open letter to voting members of the
2009 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Churchwide
Assembly, church leaders and theologians expressed concern over
the "fidelity and future" of the denomination.  As of May 22,
more than 500 people had signed the letter.

The letter, made available May 19, centers on two documents
released earlier this year by the Task Force for ELCA Studies on
Sexuality -- a proposed social statement for the church, "Human
Sexuality: Gift and Trust," and a report and recommendation for a
process to consider changes to ministry policies that could make
it possible for Lutherans who are in "publicly accountable,
lifelong, monogamous, same-gendered relationships" to serve as
ELCA associates in ministry, deaconesses, diaconal ministers and
ordained ministers.

The 2009 ELCA Churchwide Assembly -- the highest legislative
authority of the 4.7-million member church -- will consider both
documents Aug. 17-23 in Minneapolis.

In April Lutheran CORE (Coalition for Reform), an
independent Lutheran organization that relates to the ELCA
through its Vocation and Education program unit, asked
theologians and church leaders to draft the letter and invited
others to sign.

The task force documents "are perceived by some as
compromises that will permit the ELCA to live faithfully with
internal diversity on controversial ethical questions," the
letter said.

"The proposals are in fact no compromise.  They clearly
imply that same-sex blessings and the ordination and rostering of
homosexual persons in committed relationships are acceptable
within the ELCA," the letter said.  "The teaching of the church
will be changed."

The signatories of the letter urge voting members of the
assembly to defeat all of the proposals.  They provided five
reasons for rejection.

The first is that if the assembly chooses to accept the
ministry recommendation with a simple majority vote, that will
"alter the moral teaching on sexuality we have shared with the
vast majority of the church past and present," the letter said.
"We are concerned that such a procedure shows an indifference to
the common mind of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church
throughout the ages and across cultures."  The letter urges that
a two-thirds majority vote be required.

Second, the documents claim that the ELCA can live with
"profound differences on sexual questions because our unity is
centered exclusively on the gospel and the sacraments," the
letter said.  "The church is founded on the whole Word of God,
both law and gospel.  The task force texts seem to permit
variation on all ethical questions, no matter how fundamental."

The third and fourth reasons cited in the letter are that if
the ELCA were to approve the "public recognition of same-sex
unions" or allow people in such relationships on the church's
official rosters, "it would damage our ecumenical relationships,"
and "our unity in the office of ministry will be fractured."
Fifth, on the concept of "bound conscience," the letter said,
"Conscience can err.  The Word of God, not conscience, is the
final court of appeal in the church."

"We are deeply sensitive to the need of the church to
provide pastoral care for all people.  We are aware that there
are some in the church who will disagree with this letter.
Nevertheless, we feel we are called to support and advocate the
biblical teaching on human sexuality," the letter said.  "We
pledge to you our prayers, and we invite you to work with us for
the renewal of our church under the Word of God."

Signers of the letter include one current and several former
ELCA synod bishops, two members of the task force, former
churchwide office staff, theologians, seminary, college and
university professors, members and others.

Other teaching theologians of the church and Christian
theologians teaching at ELCA institutions issued a statement
April 24 in support of the task force's recommendation on
ministry policies.  As of May 22, more than 145 theologians,
former bishops, college and university professors and others had
signed the statement.
- - -

The open letter is available at http://www.lutherancore.org
on the Internet.

>The theologians' statement is available at
>http://OT-studies.com on the Internet.

The task force's "Report and Recommendation on Ministry
Policies" and "Human Sexuality: Gift and Trust" are at
http://www.ELCA.org/faithfuljourney on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog