From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Prop. 8 upheld, proponents of marriage equality vow to continue efforts

From "Gregg D. Brekke" <BrekkeG@ucc.org>
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 14:59:03 -0400

Prop. 8 upheld, proponents of marriage equality vow to continue efforts
By Gregg Brekke

The California Supreme Court today upheld the passage of Proposition 8<http ://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S168047.PDF>, which restricts le gal marriage to a man and a woman, ruling the November 2008 initiative was  not an illegal constitutional revision.

The 6-1 decision came after gay rights activists challenged the constitutio nality of the proposition on grounds that it nullified California constitut ional equal protection clauses.

"This court has failed to protect the fundamental rights of minorities from  the tyranny of the majority," said the Rev. Michael D. Schuenemeyer, the U CC's Executive for Health and Wholeness Advocacy, in a statement responding  to the ruling. "Based on the court's ruling, ... equal protection is made  vulnerable, not only for same gender loving people, but for all minority gr oups in California, whose fundamental rights can be taken away by a vote of  the majority."

The United Church of Christ's General Synod, the decision making body of th e church composed of delegates from around the country, endorsed a resoluti on<http://www.ucc.org/news/general-synod-calls-for-full-marriage-equality.h tm> at their 2005 assembly calling for marriage equality. Individual UCC co ngregations are autonomous, deciding implementation of such resolutions at  the local level.

Schuenemeyer expressed his support, and that of many in the UCC faith commu nity, for continued action in the adoption of marriage equality provisions.

"Congregations, pastors and members of the United Church of Christ have bee n and remain partners in this movement, supported by the action of the UCC' s 2005 General Synod resolution supporting full marriage equality," he said . "We will continue to do our part to change hearts and minds all across th is country, sharing our values - based in the commandment to love, stand in  solidarity with each other and work for justice; sharing the stories of ou r lives - the integrity of our love and commitments, and sharing what the r ight to freely marry means to us and our families."

Same-gender marriages performed after the California court approved them, M ay 15, 2008, but before the passage of Proposition 8, Nov. 5, 2008, were un animously affirmed as legal marriages by the court. The 18,000 same-gender  marriages performed during this period, along with comprehensive sexual ori entation protections offered in discrimination cases, were upheld in today' s ruling.

"Today and in every day to come, let us channel the energy that fuels our d isappointment and anger into actions that will make a difference at the bal lot box to overturn the injustice of Prop 8 and the court's decision," said  Schuenemeyer in his statement's conclusion. "This change is already at wor k and it needs every one of us. The sooner we all join together in this imp ortant work; the sooner will come the day when our vision fairness, equalit y and justice will be realized."