From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bruce Adema Elected Canadian Council of Churches President

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 15:21:44 -0700

CRC Official to Head Canadian Church Group

May 27 2009-- The Rev. Bruce Adema, director of Canadian ministries for the Christian Reformed Church in North America, has been elected as president of The Canadian Council of Churches.

The election occurred in Ottawa during the annual gathering at which members of the CCC held conversations with Canadian parliamentary leaders on issues of justice and development.

Making up the council are 22 denominations, including Reformed, Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Baptist and free churches, as well as the Salvation Army and Anglican Church. The CCC represents 85 percent of the Christians in Canada.

"It is indeed an honor to be named President of the CCC. I see this as a sign of the CRC's growing appreciation for the core unity of the Body of Christ. We have much to learn from other Christian traditions, even as we have much to contribute," said Adema who will be president for three years.

Adema says he appreciates the fact that the council operates by consensus. "The CCC respectfully and carefully listens to every member, and speaks together when all are in agreement. That explains the wonderful diversity around the CCC table," he said. "

Major Gillian Brown of the Salvation Army, Bishop Gilles Cazabon of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops and Father John Jillios of the Orthodox Church in America were elected as vice presidents. Don Taylor of the Presbyterian Church in Canada was elected treasurer.

The officers were elected in the course of the governing board meeting that sent delegations to meet with political leaders and senior officials. The delegations addressed the need to eradicate human trafficking in Canada. They also called attention to the Interfaith Leaders Summit in June 2010 to challenge the G8 political leaders, meeting in Canada at that time, to fulfill the Millennium Development Goals.

Progress on the goals, which are a question of life or death for millions in the world, is lagging behind the G8's own commitments.

Adema says his big hope as president is for people the pews to have a greater awareness of what the CCC is all about.

"My number one hope is that the message that our essential unity in Christ gets communicated down to the churches. I want the Good News to filter down and more and more people to know that Christ has saved a multitude of people," he said. Adema will remain as director of Canadian ministries for the CRCNA during his tenure as president of the CCC.

You can follow Canadian Council of Churches on Facebook or Twitter (http://twitter.com/CCC2010CCE)

For more information or to arrange an interview contact The Rev. Dr. Karen Hamilton, General Secretary, The Canadian Council of Churches, 416-972-9494 ext. 22. Email: hamilton@ccc-cce.ca. Website: www.ccc-cce.ca.

-Chris Meehan, CRC Communications

--
Chris Meehan
News & Media Director