From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN Editorial: Pentecost and the spirit of martyrdom

From "Lydia Ma" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Fri, 29 May 2009 15:47:42 +0800

>Taiwan Church News

>2987 Edition

>May 25~31, 2009

Editorial: Pentecost and the spirit of martyrdom

>Translated by Lydia Ma

This Sunday is Pentecost Sunday, also known as “the Church’s  birthday”. When Taiwanese churches discuss being filled with the  Holy Spirit,

what they mean most of the time has been gleaned from accounts of those  who have had such an experience, as well as outward

manifestations of being filled with the Holy Spirit.

Charismatic movements among churches have been confined to three stages.  The first stage emphasizes on speaking in tongues, healing

diseases, and other spiritual gifts. The second stage emphasizes on  renewing churches mainly through praise and worship. The third stage

centers on miracles, prophesying, “Power Evangelism”, and  “Spiritual Encounter”. Rarely, if ever, do we look at being  filled with the Holy Spirit

>from the perspective of martyrdom.

Acts 7:54-60 records a powerful and challenging speech by Stephen before  the Sanhedrin – the highest Jewish court at the time. This passage

also records the reaction of the Sanhedrin upon hearing Stephen’s  testimony:

When they heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him.  But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the  glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. "Look," he  said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand  of God."  At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of  their voices, they all rushed at him, dragged him out of the city and  began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the  feet of a young man named Saul.

While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my  spirit." Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold  this sin against them." Then he died.

Dying for God as a martyr is the culmination of being filled with the  Holy Spirit. From this passage, we see Stephen filled with spiritual  gifts,

strength, and wisdom. He was filled with courage and eloquence as he  faced persecution from Jewish authorities. He forgot about himself as

he saw God’s glory above and even forgave completely.

This passage reveals several aspects of Stephen’s character and all  of them are intricately related to the Holy Spirit. Stephen’s last  moments

before his martyrdom mirrored Jesus’ final moments on the cross  – both prayed for God to forgive those who had killed them. Just  before

Stephen took his final breath, he saw God’s hand reach out to him  and welcome him into eternity.

Martyrdom is giving a precious life in exchange for seeing truth and  one’s beliefs upheld. It is also a passion so lofty that only the  Holy Spirit can

give. What many churches today call “being filled with the Holy  Spirit” is a far cry in comparison. How can church leaders allow  the faith of their

flock to remain skin-deep? We must turn to the Bible and emulate the  spirit of Christian martyrs as reference on how to deepen our faith.

Whenever churches face persecution, suffering, or cataclysmic changes,  Jesus, the legacy of Christian martyrs, and a joyful spirit willing to

suffer for righteousness have always been the source of their faith and  strength. As Taiwan faces rapid erosion of national autonomy, human

rights, and judicial impartiality, mass unemployment among the poorest  in society, as well as forced annexation by China, the spirit of

martyrdom fueled by the Holy Spirit can re-ignite our passion for  righteousness, human rights, and democracy and serve as a lamp that

brightens this country’s future path. What the Holy Spirit can  accomplish is unlimited, but are we ready to answer God’s call if  the Holy Spirit

>leads us on the road to martyrdom?

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages.

You may translate and re-use the articles only if you acknowledge the  source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the reporter and  writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles. You may direct  comments and questions to: enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/   (English)  http://www.pctpress.org  (Chinese)