From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Bulletin inserts for July 12 offer prayers for General Convention / General Convention and new

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:52:08 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Bulletin inserts for July 12 offer prayers for General
Convention
* TOP STORY - General Convention and new technology draw church family
together
* TOP STORY - Private meeting with Williams at convention will address
sexuality, ministry
* MISSION - Membership announced for new unity, faith and order  commission
* PEOPLE - Former Alabama Bishop Robert O. Miller dies at 74
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - July 4, 2009 - Independence Day - Year B
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - July 5, 2009 - Fifth Sunday After Pentecost,
Proper 9 - Year B
* DAYBOOK - July 2: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - The Organic God

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Bulletin inserts for July 12 offer prayers for General Convention

As General Convention meets in Anaheim, California, the bishops and
deputies gathering there have asked the prayers of all Episcopalians.
Episcopal Life Weekly bulletin inserts for July 12 provide several
prayers in hopes that congregations and individuals in the Church's
110 dioceses will offer them in support of General Convention and its
participants.

To download bulletin inserts, click here:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/95270_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

General Convention and new technology draw church family together

>By Solange De Santis and Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] One week from today, the Episcopal Church
gathers for the 76th General Convention, a triennial legislative
gathering that runs from July 8 to 17 in Anaheim, California.

At 8,000 to 10,000 total attendees, including exhibitors, visitors,
guests and media, it's one of the largest meetings in the country.

Technical staff from Church Center in New York traveled to Anaheim
several days ago to begin setting up a computer network that will be
as extensive as that at the main office. Digital communications staff
are putting the final touches on an innovative website center called
"the media hub," where those both onsite and around the world can
access the church's family reunion.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_111721_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Private meeting with Williams at convention will address sexuality,  ministry

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Eight members of the Episcopal Church's House
of Deputies are scheduled meet privately with Archbishop of Canterbury
Rowan Williams at General Convention in a session that is intended in
part to address lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) issues
in the church.

General Convention meets July 8-17 in Anaheim, California, and
Williams will be present July 7-9.

The session is not an official convention meeting and thus there has
been no announcement of the plans. However, when contacted by
Episcopal News Service, the Rev. Canon Michael Barlowe of the Diocese
of California confirmed the details.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_111717_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>MISSION

Membership announced for new unity, faith and order commission

Episcopal priest Katherine Grieb among 20 members named

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] The membership of the new Inter-Anglican
Standing Commission for Unity, Faith and Order (IASCUFO), which will
oversee the Anglican Communion's ecumenical affairs, was announced
July 1.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_111709_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Former Alabama Bishop Robert O. Miller dies at 74

[Diocese of Alabama] The Rt. Rev. Robert .O. Miller, ninth bishop of
the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama, died June 29 at Trinity Medical
Center in Birmingham. He was 74.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_111650_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

>July 4, 2009 - Independence Day - Year B

Deuteronomy 10:17-21; Psalm 145 or 145:1-9; Hebrews 11:8-16; Matthew  5:43-48

>By the Rev. Kirk Alan Kubicek

[Sermons That Work] The fact that we have the option of two Collects
for Independence Day hints at the possible ambiguities associated with
this national holiday. Ambiguities that attempt to hold us somewhere
between declaring our Independence on one hand, and on the other,
thanking God, as the Prayer Book says, "for those disappointments and
failures that lead us to acknowledge our dependence on you alone."

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_110745_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

July 5, 2009 - Fifth Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 9 - Year B

(RCL) 2 Samuel 5:1-5, 9-10 and Psalm 48; or Ezekiel 2:1-5 and Psalm
123; 2 Corinthians 12:2-10; Mark 6:1-13

>By the Rev. Debbie Royals

[Sermon That Work] "If any place will not welcome you and they refuse
to hear you, as you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as
a testimony against them."

Today's gospel reading describes Jesus going to the temple to pray on
the Sabbath. He stands up and begins to read the words of Isaiah, and
before you know it, his people are whispering and questioning not only
his authority but also his wisdom.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_111152_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 2, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 2, 1489, Book of Common Prayer author and
Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Cranmer was born at Aslockton,
Nottinghamshire. On July 2, 1978, Cornelius Joshua Wilson, a priest of
West Indian descent, was elected bishop of Costa Rica on the first
ballot at a special diocesan convention.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"The Organic God" from Zondervan, by Margaret Feinberg, 219 pages,
hardcover, c. 2007, $16.99

[Zondervan] Imagine what it would look like to have an organic
relationship with God-one that is stripped of all pollutants and
additives of this world.

The Organic God removes the unhealthy fillers and purifies our
relationship with the God of the Scriptures.  Through personal stories
and scriptural insights, Margaret Feinberg shares glimpses of God's
character-big-hearted, kind, beautiful, mysterious-that point you to
an authentic and naturally spiritual relationship with him, allowing
you to truly discover God in a healthy, refreshing new way. You won't
be able to help but fall in love all over again.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org