From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Courage and caution: Boldly going where discretion leads

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:30:46 -0400

Courage and caution: Boldly going where discretion leads

Written by Gregg Brekke
June 28, 2009

Listening to the pre-recorded video interviewCourage and caution:
Boldly going where discretion leadss with the Rev. John Thomas during
his Saturday evening tribute, my brain got stuck on his comments about
courage and caution.
Within the context of the church, he said, we must be courageous to
speak truth to power ? while cautiously preserving the bonds of unity
that make us the church.

I'm sure it's never happened to you, but there have been some less
than stellar moments in my life where I thought I was acting
courageously. In reality, I was either misinformed, foolish or simply
too stubborn to use caution.

On the other hand, being overly cautious could lead to a life with few
substantial experiences, limited relationships and ? in my estimation
? little fulfillment.

Experiencing the events of River City Saturday yesterday, there were
many courageous happenings. The Dancing Wheels performances during the
day and at the evening tribute showed us that courage moves from idea
to implementation with determined purpose.

Challenges came from many voices. Eugene Robinson, Jim Wallis and
Krista Tippett, among other speakers, issued courageous calls for the
church to move from its "safe centers to exciting edges" ? to stop
being a church of "resolutions" and become a church of "revolutions."

But such movement strikes many as dangerous. Gathering together with
people like us and approaching the issues of the day with distance is
a caution that runs through church. And I suggest that it limits the
church's potential for growth.

An emphasis on evangelism is stirring in the UCC along with a
recapturing of the definition of evangelism as sharing Good News and
not just adding members to our churches. This type of evangelism is
not possible without great courage ? it must trump caution for the
church to fulfill its mission.

UCC positions on many issues ? gay ordination, marriage equality and
Israel/Palestine relations to name a few ? have put us in diametric
opposition to other people of faith. Courage isn't always popular. But
the caution to recognize differences and humbly seek reconciliation is
also what the church is called to do.

As we enter into Sacred Conversations on Race today ? having
remembered John Thomas as the originator of this challenge ? may we
have the courage to be vulnerable to others and the caution to work
patiently for understanding and unity.