From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC Synod approves human trafficking resolution

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:32:40 -0400

Synod approves human trafficking resolution

Written by Micki Carter
June 29, 2009

Awareness of trafficking in persons as a crime against humanity will
become a priority of the local churches, the denomination and,
specifically, the Justice and Witness Ministry after General Synod 27
approved a resolution of witness Monday evening.

"Whether we realize it or not, human trafficking is in our
neighborhoods," said Lois Powell, a team leader on the staff of JWM,
in presenting the resolution at its committee hearing.

She described people who enter the United States under debt bondage or
are pressed into prostitution or pornography, international brides
and, in the wider world, child soldiering.

"I was recently at Back Bay Mission in Biloxi, Miss., and I asked if
they had any awareness of trafficking," Powell said. "[The director]
told me that she knew people from Dominican Republic who paid their
life savings to get here and they were just dumped."

She added that, because of international awareness, "it is a crime to
traffic in persons in this country. What's needed is awareness in law
enforcement."

The resolution encourages all the settings of the UCC to become
educated about human trafficking and requires JWM to provide
educational materials. Finally it urges local congregations to observe
the Sunday closest to Jan. 11 as Human Trafficking Awareness Day
"through prayer, reflection, education and actions that will assist in
bringing an end to these forms of modern-day slavery."