From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Passion drives us together: Hearing the voice of God at Synod

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:38:35 -0400

Passion drives us together: Hearing the voice of God at Synod

Written by Gregg Brekke
June 29, 2009

The mood at General Synod 27 made a palpable shift yesterday. After
two days of reunion, celebration and learning, the work of the Synod began.

It's not that the hours of worship, workshops or connection-making are
less important than Sacred Conversations on Race or committee meetings
on resolutions. No, it's just that the tone of conversations have
become more serious, more business oriented.

Of the many resolutions being considered by committees last night,
none has been more talked about than the restructuring of the national
church boards. Single governance was on the minds and hearts of many
as casual conversations turned passionate when the topic was raised.

And passion is a good thing in the church, especially when coupled
with an equal amount of respect and prayer and dialog. But passion it
is ? a driving force that compels us to act boldly. Whether in
relationships, art or debate, passion pushes us together at the same
time it has the power to repel like similarly charged magnets.

As committees gather to debate and revise, the church trusts that the
Holy Spirit is speaking in and through them. We trust that what our
delegates hear will be God's voice and mission for the church. We pray
that our vision will be clarified: Of whom Christ would compel us to
serve, what tables we're called to upend and how we will move together
in discipleship.

Propelling us in that vision for the last decade has been John Thomas
? whose sermon yesterday afternoon was possibly the most moving
compilation of faith images I've ever heard. His benediction
concluded, "Swim bravely, swim safely and relax in the buoyancy of grace."

These themes - bravery and courage, safety and caution ? all with the
undercurrents of compassion, honesty and grace, may be the quickest
way to summarize the ministry of John Thomas.

I'm honored to have worked with John for the last 10 months. Even
though I often feel like "the new guy" at the national setting, he has
never treated me as anything less than a valued colleague, a Christian
brother and a friend.

I often see John walking from the train station to the office in the
mornings as I ride past on my bicycle. We yell "Hi John ? Hi Gregg" to
one another over the din of traffic.

For reasons I won't try to justify, I rarely wore a helmet when
cycling in the city. That is, until I received the following email:
"OK, I know I'm not your father, or spouse, or even your immediate
boss. I applaud your bike riding. But I do wish you'd wear a helmet!!!
None of my business, I suppose. Except I do consider you a friend.
I'll never bring this up again. ? John"

Although I considered the unease of my wife and friends ? no one's
encouragement had changed my helmet wearing behavior until this note from  John.

Courage. Caution. Honesty. Grace. Passion.

May we honor one another, our delegates and Christ with our
deliberations in the coming days. May we look out for one another and
speak honestly where caution is required. May we have the courage to
act and passion for grace as we listen to the still speaking God.