From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] International guests find new understanding of Episcopal Church polity / Anderson calls conven

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 8 Jul 2009 02:50:57 -0400

>Episcopal Life Daily
>July 8, 2009

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Comprehensive coverage of the Episcopal Church's 76th General Convention  is
available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107145_ENG_HTM.htm.

>For the General Convention Media Hub, visit
>http://gchub.episcopalchurch.org.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - International guests find new understanding of Episcopal
Church polity
* TOP STORY - Anderson calls convention to deeper sense of mission
* TOP STORY - Presiding Bishop to church: 'We will fail if we choose
business as usual'
* TOP STORY - Convention notebook: Asian Ministries, Michael Jackson, a
bright green coat
* TOP STORY - Archbishop of Canterbury to make debut appearance at  General
Convention
* TOP STORY - Budget committee to present mission priorities resolution  July
8
* TOP STORY - Sudan primate upholds 'mutual understanding, true  partnership'
with Episcopalians
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - Renewing dioceses embrace mission, evangelism
* MISSION - Native American/Indigenous ministry raises awareness
* MISSION - Public narrative helps Episcopalians find their voice in  mission
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: General Convention, July 7
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: General Convention Exhibit Hall
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: Artists help set mood for worship in  Anaheim
* OPINION - Looking out, gazing in
* ARTS - Artists to help set the mood for worship in Anaheim
* DAYBOOK - July 8, 2009: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Jesus Wept - When Faith & Depression Meet

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

International guests find new understanding of Episcopal Church polity

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] International guests
attending General Convention, including almost half of the Anglican
Communion primates, spoke of their amazement and gratitude as they  gained a
deeper understanding of the legislative processes of the triennial  gathering
and the polity of the Episcopal Church.

"I appreciate the history and openness of debating and coming together  for
worship," said Archbishop Bernard Ntahoturi of Burundi, one of the more  than
70 international guests who will attend the General Convention, meeting  July
8-17 in Anaheim, California.

Many of the guests said they were impressed with the size and structure  of
General Convention, whose legislative body is composed of about 845  deputies
and more than 280 bishops.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112068_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Anderson calls convention to deeper sense of mission

>By Melodie Woerman

[Episcopal News Service] House of Deputies President Bonnie Anderson  called
deputies and bishops to a deeper sense of mission to the poor in her  opening
presentation to General Convention July 7.

Anderson, who is serving her first term as presiding officer of the  House of
Deputies, said this commitment to mission has to occur because of, not  in
spite of, today's tough economic times.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112067_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Presiding Bishop to church: 'We will fail if we choose business as  usual'

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The 76th General  Convention
can regard challenges as opportunities for "ubuntu" or togetherness, or
choose "business as usual" and fail, Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts
Schori told a joint session of bishops and deputies July 7 in the  Anaheim
Convention Center.

The full text of Jefferts Schori's address is available here:
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/documents/070709_PBopeningaddress.pdf

Bishops and deputies greeted Jefferts Schori with a standing ovation and
sustained applause as she began her first convention address. General
Convention officially begins July 8-17.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112064_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Convention notebook: Asian Ministries, Michael Jackson, a bright green  coat

[Episcopal News Service] Much happens each day at General Convention. In
addition to Episcopal Life Media's other coverage, here's some of what  else
happened on July 7.

>Los Angeles diocese begins Midday programs

The Diocese of Los Angeles on July 7 launched L.A. Midday, a daily  glimpse
into the diocese's ministry programs, in the General Convention exhibit
hall. The first program, "Welcome to the Pacific Rim," featured brief
presentations from three of diocese's Asian clergy and a  question-and-answer
session. The program was opened by the Korean Drum Band of St. James'
School, Los Angeles, the same group that performed at the hall's  opening.

Appearing in the program were clergy from Korean and Chinese  congregations.
Population growth was the common thread throughout the presentations.  The
Rev. Aidan Koh, chaplain of St. James' School and a member of the St.  James'
Church Korean Congregation staff, noted that the largest Korean  population
outside of Korea is in metropolitan Los Angeles.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112066_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Archbishop of Canterbury to make debut appearance at General Convention

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams will  begin
a busy schedule of meetings July 8 as he arrives in Anaheim, California  to
spend two days engaging with representatives at the Episcopal Church's
General Convention.

Attending convention for the first time, Williams will make a keynote
presentation addressing the world's economic crisis during a panel
discussion, which will be webcast live July 8 on the General Convention
media hub.

On July 8, Williams will meet with President of the House of Deputies  Bonnie
Anderson and her Council of Advice and have a conversation with the  official
youth delegates at the meeting, 18 young people selected from across the
Episcopal Church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112038_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Budget committee to present mission priorities resolution July 8

At hearing, Episcopalians call for return of explicit MDG commitment

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service - Anaheim, California] The Joint Standing  Committee
on Program, Budget and Finance (PB&F) plans to offer to the 76th General
Convention on July 8 a resolution setting mission priorities for the
Episcopal Church in the next three years.

PB&F, which met past 9 p.m. on July 7, preserved the five priorities  that
the church's Executive Council proposed in January. Details will be  public
after the committee files the resolution July 8.

Council's proposed priorities are: doing justice and alleviating  poverty;
claiming our identity; growing congregations; strengthening governance  and
foundations for mission; and promoting Anglican partnerships. Those
priorities came with explanatory bullet points, and PB&F's resolution  will
include an edited and expanded version of those points.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112037_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Sudan primate upholds 'mutual understanding, true partnership' with
Episcopalians

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul of the Episcopal  Church
of the Sudan (ECS) has written to Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts  Schori
and all the bishops, priests, deacons and laity of the U.S.-based  Episcopal
Church underscoring the importance of partnership between the two  churches
and offering an update about the urgent situation in Sudan.

In his June 30 letter, Deng expressed his gratitude for the invitation  to
attend the July 8-17 General Convention in Anaheim, California. Deng is  one
of more than 70 international and ecumenical guests expected to share in  the
Episcopal Church's triennial policy-making gathering.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_111966_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

>Renewing dioceses embrace mission, evangelism

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service - Anaheim, California] Bishops and deputies from
four continuing Episcopal dioceses shared stories of energetic mission  and
renewal, transformation and evangelism during a July 7 live webcast from  the
76th General Convention.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_112071_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Native American/Indigenous ministry raises awareness

>By Sharon J. Tillman

[Episcopal News Service] The message was one of dire straights, but the
atmosphere was upbeat as more than 60 guests gathered at the Native
American/Indigenous Ministries reception on Monday, July 6, St.  Michael's
Church, Anaheim.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_112063_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Public narrative helps Episcopalians find their voice in mission

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service - Anaheim, California] Through the art of public
narrative -- sharing your story and listening to others' stories --
Episcopalians can discern the challenges they are called to confront as  a
congregation, a community and a church, now and move into action.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_112047_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Image Gallery: General Convention, July 7

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_111970_ENG_HTM.htm

Image Gallery: General Convention Exhibit Hall
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112018_ENG_HTM.htm

Image gallery: Artists help set mood for worship in Anaheim
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_111869_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Looking out, gazing in

>By Solange De Santis

[Episcopal News Service] Ever been at one end of a public park, in the  warm
haze of summer, when a big family picnic is going on way down at the  other
end? You can almost smell the burgers grilling, see what seems to be a
Frisbee being thrown around, but not quite hear the talk and laughter.

News of the first General Convention, held in Philadelphia in the fall  of
1785, probably took weeks to distribute to the Episcopal churches in the
seven states represented. Never mind even dimly seeing that picnic; you  only
got to hear about it when winter was closing in.

Full article: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_112033_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

Artists to help set the mood for worship in Anaheim

>By Julia Fleming

[Episcopal News Service] This year's General Convention worship themes  focus
on identity, mission and ubuntu, an African concept that focuses on  people's
relationships with one another. Archbishop Desmond Tutu has described  Ubuntu
as "the essence of being human. Ubuntu speaks particularly about the  fact
that you can't exist as a human in isolation. It speaks about our
interconnectedness."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_112006_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 8, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 8, 1228, Archbishop of Canterbury Stephen
Langton died.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Jesus Wept - When Faith & Depression Meet" from Wiley, by Barbara C.
Crafton, 164 pages, hardcover, c. 2009, $19.95

[Wiley] In this distinctive new book, Crafton is seeking to explore
depression as it affected (for better or worse) by Christian faith. She
contends that it is harder for people of faith to come to terms with
depression, and they often don't seek the appropriate kind of help and
treatment. They may also attribute the causes to something they have  done,
rather than to its true root in physiology and genetics. Having herself
suffered from depression, Crafton uses her own experiences in the book  as a
touchstone.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org

More Catalyst: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/83842_ENG_HTM.htm