From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Celebrate John Calvin as an inspiration not a saint say Reformed church leaders

From "Franziska Surber" <Franziska.Surber@warc.ch>
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:16:37 +0200

>World Alliance of Reformed Churches
>News Release

Celebrate John Calvin as an inspiration not a saint say Reformed
church leaders

As Reformed churches worldwide prepare to celebrate the 500th
anniversary on 10 July of the birth of Protestant Reformation
leader, John Calvin, leaders of a global movement of Reformed
churches have issued a statement calling on Christians to
commemorate Calvin not as a saint but as a source of inspiration
for responding to contemporary social and environmental
concerns.

In a statement released today by leaders of the World Alliance
of Reformed Churches (WARC) which represents 75 million Reformed
church members, WARCs president and general secretary link
commentaries by the 16th century lawyer and theologian to the
current global economic crisis.

In their statement, WARCs president, Clifton Kirkpatrick, and
general secretary, Setri Nyomi, quote Calvins instructions to the
church about how to respond to 16th century economic and
environmental concerns and note that these speak to contemporary
concerns about the impact of climate change and the market crisis
on the worlds poor.

Saying that people are hurt when there is injustice in the
economy, Kirkpatrick and Nyomi note: To this Calvin stated A fair
distribution can become reality if the rich do not greedily
swallow up whatsoever they can get together; if they do not rake
up on every side what belongs to others to satisfy their greed…
(Calvins Commentary on Exodus 16:19.)

The statements authors add, In our world today where humanity is
blatantly ignoring the environment and in fact destroying Gods
creation, Calvins words can be instructive: Whoever owns a piece
of land, should harvest the fruits in such a way that the soil
does not suffer damage…If we follow this line, nobody will behave
immoderately and destroy through misuse what God wishes to
preserve. (Calvins Commentary on Genesis 2.15)

In pointing to the relevance of Calvins legacy for today,
Kirkpatrick and Nyomi say: It is our hope that inspired by this,
we who live in the 21st century will also be faithful … to doing
everything we can to be Gods agents of transformation, making a
difference in our communities.

>The full statement follows.

******

Statement released by the President and General Secretary of

>WARC

>Dear Sisters and brothers,

Five hundred years ago this Friday, July 10, John Calvin was
born in Noyon, France. The Reformed family is commemorating this,
not so much to create a Calvin cult or even to hail him as a
perfect saint. Calvin certainly was not perfect, and it is
against the grain of Reformed Christians to foster personality
cults. John Calvin himself would insist Soli Deo Gloria Only to
God be the Glory.

We commemorate this day in a spirit of gratitude to God for how
what Calvin did has inspired a movement of people committed to
living faithfully for God in different contexts, and how his
legacy continues to inspire us to be true to God in responding
faithfully to current challenges.

In our world today, many are hurting because of injustice in the
economy long before the current meltdown in the financial
markets. This has indeed been further aggravated by the financial
crisis and job losses in many countries while those who benefited
from the system before continue to be bailed out. To this Calvin
stated A fair distribution can become reality if the rich do not
greedily swallow up whatsoever they can get together; if they do
not rake up on every side what belongs to others to satisfy their
greed…(Calvins Commentary on Exodus 16:19.)

In our world today where humanity is blatantly ignoring the
environment and in fact destroying Gods creation, Calvins words
can be instructive: Whoever owns a piece of land, should harvest
the fruits in such a way that the soil does not suffer and
damage…as Gods stewards…If we follow this line, nobody will
behave immoderately and destroy through misuse what God wishes to
preserve. (Calvins Commentary on Genesis 2.15)

In our world today where even within the church there are so
many divisions and many church leaders and Christians do not take
seriously the call to Christian unity, we are reminded by Calvin
Each time we read the word one, let us be reminded that it is
used emphatically. Christ cannot be divided. Faith cannot be
rent. There are not various baptisms, but one, which is common to
all. God cannot be torn into different parts… Faith and baptism,
and God the Father and Christ, ought to unite us… (Calvins
commentary on Ephesians 4:5)

John Calvin wrote these commentaries in the 16th century. They
continue to be relevant today. That is the legacy for whichwe
thank God. It is our hope that inspired by this, we who live in
the 21st century will also be faithful to God in our commitment
to Christian unity, to confronting the forces of evil and
injustice in society, and to doing everything we can to be Gods
agents of transformation, making a difference in our communities.

We take this opportunity to greet all who are organising
activities and worship services this week-end (July 10 12, 2009).
 May God bless you as you commemorate this jubilee. We take this
opportunity to greet those who have had some activities earlier
this year, or are planning to engage in jubilee activities later
this year.

We would also like to thank all those people and congregations
who made it a point to give a special Birthday gift in the form
of financial resources with which the World Alliance of Reformed
Churches can continue to be faithful to God in carrying out
mandates that are in part inspired by the life and ministry of
John Calvin. For those who want to follow this good example,
please visit the WARC website (http://www.warc.ch/) and go to
Calvin and WARC. You can also find more information on:
http://www.calvin.org/.

As we commemorate 500 years after the birth of Calvin, may all
our actions and responses to global and community challenges
today give glory to God.

>Soli Deo Gloria!

Rev. Dr Clifton Kirkpatrick

>Rev. Dr Setri