From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Resolution to allow 'generous discretion' for same-sex blessings draws passionate debate / Glo

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:00:29 -0400

>Episcopal Life Daily
>June 8, 2009

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

Comprehensive coverage of the Episcopal Church's 76th General Convention  is
available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107145_ENG_HTM.htm.

>For the General Convention Media Hub, visit
>http://gchub.episcopalchurch.org.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Resolution to allow 'generous discretion' for same-sex
blessings draws passionate debate
* TOP STORY - Global economics a 'crisis of truthfulness,' Archbishop of
Canterbury tells convention
* TOP STORY - From organic coffee to 'holy hardware,' exhibit hall has
something for everyone
* TOP STORY - Bishops seek deeper relations with Presbyterians, Church  of
Sweden
* TOP STORY - Deputies adopt mission priorities for 2010-2012
* TOP STORY - Reconciling mission focus of convention opening Eucharist
* TOP STORY - Archbishop hears from cross section of Episcopal Church
* TOP STORY - Chicago Consultation releases homosexuality study guide
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Archbishop appoints Stephen Venner as new  bishop
to Armed Forces
* WORLD REPORT - SCOTLAND: Big role for small churches, says new primus
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: General Convention Opening Eucharist
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: General Convention, July 8
* OPINION - Reader responses to Episcopal Life Online coverage of the  76th
General Convention
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - July 12 - Sixth Sunday After Pentecost, Proper  10 -
Year B
* DAYBOOK - Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Reasonable and Holy - Engaging Same-Sexuality

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Resolution to allow 'generous discretion' for same-sex blessings draws
passionate debate

>By Janet Kawamoto

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] "Marriage equality is a
reality coming soon to a state near you," Bishop Gene Robinson told an
overflow crowd at a July 8 hearing. He was speaking to a proposed  resolution
that calls for wider-than-usual latitude for bishops to allow blessings  of
gay and lesbian couples in states in which same-sex marriage or civil  unions
are legal.

The text of Resolution B012, "Pastoral Generosity in Blessing Civil
Marriage," calls for "generous discretion [to be] extended to clergy in  the
exercise of their pastoral ministry in order to permit the adaptation of  the
Pastoral Offices" for marriage. It also provides for the affected  dioceses
to report annually to the House of Bishops and to the Standing  Commission on
Liturgy and Church Music for help in developing a service of blessing  for
same-sex marriage if such a rite should be approved by future meetings  of
General Convention.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112164_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Global economics a 'crisis of truthfulness,' Archbishop of Canterbury  tells
convention

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Describing the global
economic downturn as a "crisis of truthfulness," Archbishop of  Canterbury
Rowan Williams addressed more than 2,000 people attending a July 8 forum  in
Anaheim, California, as part of the Episcopal Church's General  Convention.

During the last six to nine months, Williams said, "we have suddenly
discovered we have been lying to ourselves. For the last decade or more
there has been a steady erosion of trust in our financial life. Our word  has
not been our bond. We have learned to tolerate high levels of evasion  and
anti-relational practices.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112163_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>From organic coffee to 'holy hardware,' exhibit hall has something for
everyone

>By Sharon Sheridan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] With a flurry of drums  and
gongs, the Korean Drummer Corps of St. James School in Los Angeles  launched
the opening of the General Convention Exhibit Hall, where visitors can
browse the aisles for everything from chalices to fair trade coffee.

Led by drum corps director James Choi, 13 costumed youngsters marched
through the hall playing Korean instruments representing the sounds of
thunder, rain, wind and clouds.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112167_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bishops seek deeper relations with Presbyterians, Church of Sweden

>By Jerald Hyche

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Bishops  passed
two resolutions July 8 that would bring Episcopalians into closer
relationship with the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the Church of  Sweden.

Both resolutions, A075 and A076 respectively, were sent to the House of
Deputies for approval.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112162_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Deputies adopt mission priorities for 2010-2012

By Mary Frances Schjonberg and Melodie Woerman

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Deputies on
July 8 adopted five priorities proposed by the Program, Budget and  Finance
(PBF) committee that will guide the mission of the Episcopal Church for  the
next three years.

"We understand and offer these as priorities for the ministry of the
Episcopal Church, not priorities one over another," PBF members said in
their explanation of Resolution D052. "All are essential and of equal  value,
and should be received with a 'both/and' rather than an 'either/or'  spirit
as together they engage and empower the communicants, congregations, and
dioceses of this Church in common ministries that serve God's mission."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112161_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Reconciling mission focus of convention opening Eucharist

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Rousing drumming,  spirited
music, a 50-voice choir of bishops, deputies and visitors and Presiding
Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori's words "mission, mission, mission"
quickened pulses, inspired clapping and a little dancing, energizing the
July 8 opening worship and the official start of the 76th General  Convention
in Anaheim, California.

Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, who had arrived in Anaheim the
night before, was among about 3,000 worshippers who filled the  convention
hall as Jefferts Schori invoked metaphors of changed hearts, transformed
minds and transplanted hearts as signs of renewed life and opportunities  for
mission.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112160_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Archbishop hears from cross section of Episcopal Church

Meetings allow convention participants to tell their stories, explain
governance

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Archbishop of Canterbury
Rowan Williams spent the afternoon of July 8 hearing the stories of a  cross
section of participants in the 76th General Convention.

In addition to observing the work of the House of Bishops, Williams met  with
members of the convention's official youth presence, the House of  Deputies
president's council of advice and a small group of lesbian and gay  deputies.
He also met with provisional and assisting bishops in the four dioceses  that
are reorganizing after the majority of their members and leadership left  the
church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112157_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Chicago Consultation releases homosexuality study guide

>By Jerald Hyche

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Bringing its support for
full inclusion of gay and lesbian Christians to General Convention, the
group called the Chicago Consultation released on July 7 a study guide
designed to help people in the pew face tough questions about  homosexuality
-- and come up with their own answers.

But leaders of the 18-month-old group made clear that the 34-page  booklet,
Christian Holiness & Human Sexuality: A Study Guide for Episcopalians,
presents a perspective in support of same-sex blessings and the  ordination
of openly gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered Episcopalians.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112124_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

ENGLAND: Archbishop appoints Stephen Venner as new bishop to Armed  Forces

[Lambeth Palace] The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, has
announced the appointment of the Rt. Rev. Dr. Stephen Venner as Bishop  to
the Forces. Venner succeeds the Rt. Rev. David Conner, the dean of  Windsor
who has served in this role since 2001. Venner will act on Williams'  behalf
and carry out Episcopal duties within the U.K.'s Armed Forces. He will  have
pastoral oversight of Anglican chaplains and the Anglican church within  the
Forces.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_112076_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

SCOTLAND: Big role for small churches, says new primus

>By Trevor Grundy

[Ecumenical News International, Edinburgh] Minority churches can play a
significant role if they are confident, outgoing and learn to engage  with
the whole of society, says the new primus of the Scottish Episcopal  Church,
Bishop David Chillingworth, who notes that sectarianism still exists in
parts of Scotland.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_112075_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Image Gallery: General Convention Opening Eucharist
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112081_ENG_HTM.htm

Image Gallery: General Convention, July 8

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112131_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Reader responses to Episcopal Life Online coverage of the 76th General
Convention

[Episcopal News Service] A selection of letters received by Episcopal  Life
Online in response to stories about General Convention is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112159_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

July 12 - Sixth Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 10 - Year B

(RCL) 2 Samuel 6:1-5, 12b-19 and Psalm 24; Ephesians 1:3-14; Mark  6:14-29

>By Jason Sierra

What does our culture, our society, tell us about dancing? Does it  celebrate
it? Does it embrace and expand upon it, helping it to infuse our  movements
through the world? Does it teach us to inhabit the expressive potential  of
our bodies, coordinated and rhythmic?

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_111555_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 9, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 9, 1228, Archbishop of Canterbury Stephen
Langton died.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Reasonable and Holy - Engaging Same-Sexuality" from Church Publishing,
Inc., by Tobias Stanislas Haller, 180 pages, paperback, c. 2009, $18

[Church Publishing, Inc.] Reasonable and Holy addresses the conflict  over
homosexuality within the Anglican tradition, demonstrating that the  church
is able to provide for and support faithful and loving relationships  between
persons of the same sex, not as a departure from that tradition, but as  a
reasonable extension of it.

It offers a carefully argued, but accessible means of engagement with
Scripture, the Jewish and Christian traditions, and the use of reason in
dealing with the experience and lives of fellow-Christians.  Unlike most
reflections on the topic of homosexuality, Reasonable and Holy examines
same-sex relationships through the lens of the traditional teaching on  the
"ends" or "goods" of marriage: procreation, union, the upbuilding of
society, the symbolic representation of Christ and the Church, and the  now
often unmentioned "remedy for fornication." Throughout, it responds to
objections based on reason, tradition and Scripture.

Based on a series of popular blog posts, it includes a number of
independent, but related resources in the form of side-bars and  single-page
expansions of particular themes, suitable for reproduction as handouts.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org