From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans, Methodists Share Worship, Leaders; Await New Possibilities

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:10:13 -0500

Title: Lutherans, Methodists Share Worship, Leaders; Await New Possibilities
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>July 9, 2009

Lutherans, Methodists Share Worship, Leaders; Await New Possibilities
09-148-SH

CLYDE, Kan. (ELCA) -- The Rev. Anita Strommen is a Lutheran pastor.
Her congregation is United Methodist.

The pairing reflects a growing effort by some Christian denominations
to share ministry resources as never before, including clergy.

"The congregation worried at first about having a pastor that wasn't
Methodist," said Strommen, a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA).

"For me it hasn't been an issue," she said. "I know what Lutherans
teach. I know what Methodists teach."

The ELCA has entered relationships -- known as "full communion" --
with five church bodies since 1997. A decision on teaming with United
Methodists is expected at the ELCA Churchwide Assembly in August.

United Methodists approved the plan last year. The agreement notes
differences in the denominations' theologies, practices and traditions. It
states they aren't "church-dividing."

"The Holy Spirit is opening a door of possibility," said Bishop
regory Palmer, president of the United Methodist Council of Bishops. "I
hope that we walk together through that door."

If approved, the vote will make official practices already at play in
Clyde and elsewhere.

"We're all trying to get to heaven, so I see no problem with
Lutherans helping us out," said Elaine Cyr, co-president, Clyde United
Methodist church council. "We still use the Methodist hymnals. We still
hear the gospel preached. Pastor Anita is terrific."

About 650 people live in Clyde, a north central Kansas town rimmed by
corn and wheat fields. Strommen grew up 13 miles away in Concordia, Kan.
Her husband, the Rev. David Strommen, is pastor of that town's only ELCA
congregation. Because of their three young children, the part-time
position in Clyde was ideal for her, Anita Strommen said.

That's not to say the transition has been free of tension or learning
curves. Strommen had to become familiar with United Methodist worship and
terminology.

Members said their biggest adjustment is Strommen's "Lutheran style"
of prayer. She often turns her back to worshippers to face a large cross.
ELCA pastors aren't required to pray that way, though that's how some were
trained, said the Rev. Jennifer Ollikainen of the ELCA's Worship and
Liturgical Resources unit.

"It took some getting used to, but it doesn't bother me now," said
Clyde organist Donna Jones. "Some people want her to turn back around.
They say that's how Methodist pastors pray, and this is a Methodist
church."

The focus of full communion agreements is mission, church leaders
said. The interchangeability of clergy is one aspect. Congregations might
combine resources for a range of ministries, such as mental health
services, missionary outreach or domestic violence prevention.

The Rev. Sue Mackey, a United Methodist pastor, serves ELCA
congregations in Whitman and Michigan, N.D. She said she leads a Methodist
service because "the Lutheran liturgy was uncomfortable for me."

Full communion agreements involve ordained clergy. Some United
Methodist ministers, however, are licensed but not ordained. One is
Catherine Moorehead, who leads a joint Lutheran-Methodist service for
about 10 people in Lavina, Mont.

After the Lutheran church shut down years ago, members said working
with Methodists was a way their congregation could survive. That meant,
however, adapting to a Methodist worship service. Grape juice is given at
Holy Communion rather than wine.

"From a pastoral standpoint it makes more sense to worship together,"
Moorehead said. "To have a Lutheran congregation of six and a Methodist
congregation of four in a town of 200 is plumb stupid."

The ELCA's current full communion partners are the Moravian Church,
the United Church of Christ, the Episcopal Church, the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) and the Reformed Church in America.

>--

Information about the ELCA's full communion partners is at
http://www.ELCA.org/Who-We-Are/Our-Three-Expressions/Churchwide-Organization/Ecumenical-and-Inter-Religious-Relations/Full-Communion.aspx
on the Web.

Information about ELCA-United Methodist discussions is at
http://www.ELCA.org/Who-We-Are/Our-Three-Expressions/Churchwide-Organization/Ecumenical-and-Inter-Religious-Relations/Bilateral-Conversations/Lutheran-United-Methodist.aspx
on the Web.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news