From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Anderson's international guests reflect on uniqueness of convention / Deputies urge greater co

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 12 Jul 2009 12:48:22 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Anderson's international guests reflect on uniqueness of
convention
* TOP STORY - Deputies urge greater committee member transparency
* TOP STORY - B033-related legislation to move to House of Deputies
* TOP STORY - Studio 8 - a place to pray, network
* TOP STORY - Bonnie Anderson, Brian Prior re-elected to lead House of
Deputies
* TOP STORY - Bishops adopt mandatory pension plan for lay workers
* TOP STORY - PBS' Ray Suarez speaks of hospitality, community at  convention
eucharist
* TOP STORY - Convention Daily
* MISSION - From alien drawings to worship insights, children add their
spirit to convention
* MISSION - Four-footed ambassadors attend hearings
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: Integrity Eucharist at the 76th General
Convention
* OPINION - Perspective - Our turn to listen, watch and pray
* DAYBOOK - July 12: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - The Geranium Farm Cook Book

Comprehensive coverage of the Episcopal Church's 76th General Convention  is
available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107145_ENG_HTM.htm.

>For the General Convention Media Hub, visit
>http://gchub.episcopalchurch.org.

News in Spanish (Noticias) is available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81848_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Anderson's international guests reflect on uniqueness of convention

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The legislative body,  family
reunion and marketplace of ideas that is General Convention can be
bewildering, exhilarating and momentous, even for Episcopalians, much  less
visitors from overseas.

The six international Anglican guests invited by House of Deputies  President
Bonnie Anderson reflected on the uniqueness of convention in a July 11
interview, and told Episcopalians to move forward without fear.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112399_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Deputies urge greater committee member transparency

>By Melodie Woerman

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Deputies on
July 11 called for greater transparency in the church by adopting a
resolution requiring that the names of people serving on elected or
appointed bodies be made public.

Resolution D045, proposed by Deputy Katie Sherrod (Fort Worth), mandates
that members be identified within 30 days of appointment or election.  Most
official bodies within the Episcopal Church would be covered by this
resolution, including committees, commissions, task forces, panels or  "other
bodies" elected or appointed by any body or any leader throughout the
Episcopal Church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112401_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

B033-related legislation to move to House of Deputies

Committee vote reveals differences between deputies, bishops

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] An amended version of
Resolution D025, concerning Episcopal elections and the Anglican  Communion,
is expected to move to the House of Deputies despite a July 11 split
committee vote, possibly as early as Monday.

D025 is among more than a dozen B033-related resolutions submitted for
consideration during the 76th General Convention July 8-17 in Anaheim.   The
World Mission Legislative Committee (WMC) received 13 resolutions; a WMC
subgroup designed to work on framing a resolution to offer for a  convention
vote, elected to amend D025 from among the 13 "as a template" from which  to
address B033, according to the Rev. Ian T. Douglas, a committee member
designated to speak with media representatives.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112398_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Studio 8 - a place to pray, network

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Serivce -- Anaheim, California] Like Yente's character  in
"Fiddler on the Roof," minus the romance, Trudy Ardizzone, of the  Diocese of
Los Angeles, is making sure the right people meet at Studio 8's booth in  the
Anaheim Convention Center's exhibit hall.

"It's been fabulous," It's what we hoped would happen. People are coming
together, sharing ideas, making connections . although we have all these
resources, people are our best resource," said Ardizzone, Discovery  Center
and Studio 8 design team director.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112395_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bonnie Anderson, Brian Prior re-elected to lead House of Deputies

>By Melodie Woerman

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Bonnie Anderson and the  Rev.
Brian Prior have been re-elected to serve as president and vice  president of
the House of Deputies respectively. Anderson's selection by acclamation  took
place July 9, and Prior was elected on July 11. This is the second
three-year term for both.

Anderson served three years as vice president of the House of Deputies
before being elected president in 2006. Before that she served as a  deputy
from the Diocese of Michigan seven times.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112388_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bishops adopt mandatory pension plan for lay workers

>By Jerald Hyche

[Episcopal Life Online -- Anaheim, California] The House of Bishops at
General Convention adopted July 11 the idea of establishing a mandatory
pension system for lay employees of the Episcopal Church, with  supporters
calling the move not just a financial decision but a "matter of  justice."

"It's time that we as a church understand that, unless we are treating  our
lay employees fairly and are providing for their pensions, then we are  not
being honest about the cost of our doing business as congregations,"  said
Bishop Gene Robinson of New Hampshire. "As a Christian, I would say this  is
really a matter of justice. I want to be a part of a church where we  value
the pastoral care of our employees."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112372_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

PBS' Ray Suarez speaks of hospitality, community at convention eucharist

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal Life Online -- Anaheim, California] Quoting from the Book of
Common Prayer, television news reporter and Episcopalian Ray Suarez said  "we
take a big, broad view" of what "the blessed company of faithful people
means," in his July 11 sermon during a General Convention eucharist that
celebrated the Episcopal Church's hospitality.

"At this point in the life of the Episcopal Church, some of us, and some  of
the parishes we call home, may not be feeling they are in a blessed  company
right now, and forced to think about what welcome means; who is included  in
welcome," said Suarez, adding that Episcopalians are wrestling with the
battles of their time.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112370_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Convention Daily

[Episcopal Life Online -- Anaheim, California] During the Episcopal  Church's
General Convention July 8-17 in Anaheim, California, Episcopal Life is
producing a daily newspaper offering in-depth coverage of the triennial
gathering. The Daily also includes Perspectivas Latinas, offering news  in
Spanish, and Triennial Today, featuring news of the Episcopal Church  Women
meeting, which runs concurrently with General Convention.

All editions are available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_111761_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>MISSION

>From alien drawings to worship insights, children add their spirit to
convention

>By Sharon Sheridan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Four-year-old Rebecca
Wallace-West of Vermont lifted high the cross and led a procession of
flag-waving youngsters through the worship hall to the tables reserved  for
children's program participants at the daily General Convention  Eucharist.
Once there, they exchanged flags for crayons, drawing tablets, and other
craft materials.

"It's an ubuntu sign," said Andres Gonzales-Bonillas, 8, of California,
pointing to the logo on his badge that inspired his black-and-yellow
drawing. "It means caring, sharing and loving."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_112387_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Four-footed ambassadors attend hearings

>Prayers urged for loss of companion animals

>By Sharon Sheridan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Two of the most engaging
visitors to July 11 hearings on proposals for developing prayers for the
life and loss of companion animals didn't speak a word. They just wagged
their tails.

Service dogs Emily, soon to become companion to a disabled veteran, and
Kona, who assists her owner plus shepherds her own ministry - Dogs for  God -
attended the Prayer Book, Liturgy and Music committee meeting, where  eight
people testified to the need for liturgical resources to minister to  those
whose companion animals die. They described such resources as pastoral  as
well as tools for evangelism and fostering stewardship of creation.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_112390_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112367_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Perspective - Our turn to listen, watch and pray

>By Rev. A. Katherine Grieb

[Center Aisle] The best thing that could happen to the proposed covenant  for
the Anglican Communion at this General Convention is nothing at all.

Though there undoubtedly will be strongly worded resolutions proposed  from
several quarters, the committee or committees handling these resolutions
would do well to promote one that expresses the ongoing commitment of  the
Episcopal Church to the Anglican Communion in general and to the
Windsor/covenant process in particular-and nothing more.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_112386_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 12, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 12, 2000, the 73rd General Convention  adopted
the new name of Episcopal Relief and Development for the former  Presiding
Bishop's Fund for World Relief.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"The Geranium Farm Cook Book" from Church Publishing, Inc., by Barbara  C.
Crafton, 137 pages, paperback, c. 2006, $18

[Church Publishing, Inc] The Geranium Farm Cookbook is a collection of
recipes and lore offered by The Geranium Farmers, the 10,000+ members of  the
worldwide virtual community of spiritual seekers created by Episcopal
priest, author, lecturer, and spiritual director Barbara Cawthorne  Crafton.
As "farmers" began sharing recipes with each other via the e-mail list  and
the Geranium Farm website (www.geraniumfarm.org), the idea for a  cookbook
was born.

Because Barbara Crafton devoutly believes in the "life is short/eat  dessert
first" school of theology, the desserts section is first and longest.  Each
recipe in the book includes a description of how the recipe came to be  part
of the writer's family or what traditions surround its use. Each of the  main
dish recipes has a wine suggestion accompanying it, recommended by the
executive chef at a noted restaurant in North Carolina's Smoky  Mountains.
And interspersed among the recipes are meditations by Barbara Crafton on
food, cooking, and community.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org