From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Budget committee asks convention for prayers / Repentance for slavery has a long way to go, sa

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2009 01:48:09 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Bishops approve denominational health plan
* TOP STORY - Eucharist highlights Episcopal pageantry, UTO mission
* TOP STORY - Budget committee asks convention for prayers
* TOP STORY - Repentance for slavery has a long way to go, say advocates
* TOP STORY - Chicago Consultation hosts 'Doing Justice, Building  Communion'
luncheon
* TOP STORY - ECW president takes her prayers, passion to House of  Deputies
* TOP STORY - Jenny Te Paa addresses the House of Deputies
* TOP STORY - Convention Daily
* MISSION - General Convention Chapel: Contemplation and Reflection
* PEOPLE - Peace fellowship honors Brownings
* OPINION - Reader responses to Episcopal Life's coverage of the 76th
General Convention
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: Triennial Ingathering of the United Thank
Offering
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: General Convention, July 12
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: General Convention, July 11
* DAYBOOK - July 13: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Praying in Color - Finding a New Path to God

Comprehensive coverage of the Episcopal Church's 76th General Convention  is
available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107145_ENG_HTM.htm.

>For the General Convention Media Hub, visit
>http://gchub.episcopalchurch.org.

News in Spanish (Noticias) is available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81848_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>Bishops approve denominational health plan

>Resolution A177 moves to House of Deputies

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Bishops
approved on July 12 the implementation of a denomination-wide health
insurance plan by 2012.

The 76th General Convention committee on the Church Pension Fund had
unanimously recommended Resolution A177, which now heads to the House of
Deputies.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112456_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Eucharist highlights Episcopal pageantry, UTO mission

>By Jerald Hyche

[Episcopal News Serivce -- Anaheim, Californai] Streamers sliced through  the
air like brooding spirits. Dancers twirled past the altar like winged
seraphs. Several thousand tongues lifted up alleluias like a heavenly
chorus.

On July 12, Episcopalians at General Convention went to a Sunday service
that was somewhat different from the thousands that occurred around the
church that day. This Eucharist took place in a cavernous hall, was led  by
the current and two former presiding bishops, and featured a symbol of
church members' generosity: the United Thank Offering "ingathering."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112449_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Budget committee asks convention for prayers

'Unprecedented' letter hints at cut in diocesan assessments,  'innovative'
reduction in convention costs

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] In an "extraordinary  step"
July 12 members of the Program, Budget and Finance (PBF) committee sent  a
special letter to both houses of General Convention asking for their  prayers
and informing them that they will be asked to reduce the diocesan asking  and
the costs of the next General Convention.

"We appreciate your ongoing prayers for us and we view this as an
opportunity for creative and positive change in our church," the 27  members
of the committee wrote in their letter.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112447_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Repentance for slavery has a long way to go, say advocates

>Convention resolutions would extend process

>By Janet Kawamoto

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Efforts to deal with the
Episcopal Church's legacy of complicity in slavery have been difficult  and
slow, and the church needs more time to deal with the issue, say several
resolutions pending in the Social and Urban Affairs Committee.

In recent hearings at General Convention in Anaheim, members of the
committee have considered resolutions A142, A143 and C050, which would
extend and expand the Episcopal Church's exploration of its role in the
institution of slavery and its modern-day repercussions.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112441_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Chicago Consultation hosts 'Doing Justice, Building Communion' luncheon

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Wyoming Bishop Bruce
Caldwell stepped up to the microphone during a luncheon July 12 hosted  by
the Chicago Consultation and set the record straight.

He'd been asked to explain how an "elk hunting, horse riding bishop from
Wyoming come to be working on full inclusion for the LGBT community?"

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112437_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

ECW president takes her prayers, passion to House of Deputies

>By Nan Ross

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Kay Meyer on July 11  took
her prayers and passion for the work of Episcopal Church Women to the  floor
of the House of Deputies for the traditional ECW president's greeting.

She told them about the 46th Triennial theme, "Grow in Grace," and  quoted
Frederick Buechner to describe it: "The grace of God means something  like:
Here is your life. you might never have been, but you are because the  party
wouldn't have been complete without you ... There's only one catch. Like  any
other gift, the gift of grace can be yours only of you'll reach out and  take
it."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112434_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Jenny Te Paa addresses the House of Deputies

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Jenny Te Paa, the  "ahorangi"
or dean of Te Rau Kahikatea (College of St. John the Evangelist) in
Auckland, New Zealand, addressed the House of Deputies July 11 during  the
Episcopal Church's 76th General Convention in Anaheim, California.

The full text of Te Paa's address is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112408_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Convention Daily

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] During the Episcopal
Church's General Convention July 8-17 in Anaheim, California, Episcopal  Life
is producing a daily newspaper offering in-depth coverage of the  triennial
gathering. The Daily also includes Perspectivas Latinas, offering news  in
Spanish, and Triennial Today, featuring news of the Episcopal Church  Women
meeting, which runs concurrently with General Convention.

All editions of The Daily are available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_111761_ENG_HTM.htm.

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>MISSION

General Convention Chapel: Contemplation and Reflection

>By Sharon J. Tillman

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] At the far end of the
farthest hall of meeting rooms on the second floor of the Anaheim  Convention
Center sits the General Convention Prayer Chapel in room 201D. Designed  with
the sole purpose of giving convention attendees a place to recharge,  reflect
and contemplate, the location alone fulfills the mission.

But chapel planners Randy Kimmler and Daniel Ade, both priests in the
Diocese of Los Angeles, wanted it to be more welcoming that just another
meeting room. The goal was to create an attractive, welcoming place of  some
reverence, using very little money.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_112436_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

>Peace fellowship honors Brownings

>By Sharon Sheridan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The Episcopal Peace
Fellowship (EPF) on July 11 honored former Presiding Bishop Edmund  Browning
and his wife Patti as "living examples of Christ's prophetic witness"  with
the John Nevin Sayre Peace Award.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_112454_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Image Gallery: Triennial Ingathering of the United Thank Offering
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112414_ENG_HTM.htm

Image Gallery: General Convention, July 12

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112442_ENG_HTM.htm

Image Gallery: General Convention, July 11

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112384_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Reader responses to Episcopal Life's coverage of the 76th General  Convention

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Episcopal Life Online  has
received a number of responses to its coverage of the 76th General
Convention. A selection of letters is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112453_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 13, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 13, 1819, Charles Kingsley, priest and  author,
was born in Devonshire, England.  Kingsley's most famous work is "The
Water-Babies, A Fairy Tale for a Land Baby." On July 13, 1857, "The  Voice
that Breathed O'er Eden" was written by John Keble, English priest and  poet
and a prominent leader of the Oxford movement.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Praying in Color - Finding a New Path to God" from Paraclete Press, by
Sybil MacBeth, 164 pages, paperback, c. 2007, $16.95

[Source: Paraclete Press] Maybe you love color. Maybe you hunger to know  God
better. Maybe you are a visual or kinesthetic learner, a distractable or
impatient soul, or a word-weary pray-er. Perhaps you struggle with a  short
attention span, a restless body, or a tendency to live in your head.

This new prayer form can take as little or as much time as you have or  want
to commit, from 15 minutes to a weekend retreat. "A new prayer form  gives
God an invitation and a new door to penetrate the locked cells of our  hearts
and minds," explains Sybil MacBeth. "For many of us, using only words to
pray reduces God by the limits of our finite words."

"This is the most invigorating and enabling book about prayer that I  have
seen in years! Wry, funny, accessible, wise beyond all appearances, and
deeply spiritual, MacBeth warms the soul as well as the heart. So will
praying in color." - Phyllis Tickle, compiler, The Divine Hours.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org