From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

MCC Affirms Support of Episcopal Church in America Action

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 06:17:49 EDT

>N E W S   R E L E A S E
>from Metropolitan Community Churches
>_www.MCCchurch.org_ (http://www.MCCchurch.org)   .  _info@MCCchurch.net_
>(mailto:info@MCCchurch.net)

>For  Immediate Release: July 15, 2009

Denomination of Metropolitan Community Churches Affirms Lifting of
Episcopal Moratorium on Ordination of Gay Clergy, Election of Gay  Bishops

The  international movement of Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC) today
affirmed its support of its sister denomination in Christ, the  Episcopal
Church in America, in lifting the de facto moratorium on the  ordination of
lesbian and gay clergy candidates and the election of openly  lesbian and gay
bishops.

Metropolitan Community Churches, the world's  largest and oldest Christian
denomination with a primary, affirming ministry to  lesbians, gays,
bisexuals, and transgender people, has enjoyed a long and mutual  relationship with
the Episcopal Church in America. In MCC's founding years when  MCC
congregations were often turned away by other communities of faith, it  was often
local Episcopal churches that provided a place for MCC members to  gather for
worship and community.

Today, three MCC leaders -- Rev. Nancy  L. Wilson, moderator; Mr. Stan
Kimer, chair of MCC's Ecumenical &  Inter-religious Team; and Rev. Pat
Bumgardner, chair of MCC's Global Justice  Team, addressed Tuesday's significant vote
by the General Convention of the  Episcopal Church to open "any ordained
ministry" to lesbians and  gays.

>Their statements and remarks follow:

>Remarks  by Rev. Nancy L. Wilson, Moderator
>Metropolitan Community  Churches
>_www.MCCchurch.org_ (http://www.MCCchurch.org)

"This is a  courageous and timely vote from the Episcopal Church in
America. It was clear  that the moratorium on the ordination of gay clergy and the
election of gay  bishops made no one happy. This is an authentic move by
this denomination at  this time in history.

"Because of their global ties in the Anglican  Communion, this will have a
long term and global impact: While the Episcopal  Church in America may well
experience a short-term backlash from some quarters,  this action will
serve the Church's long-term health as it becomes a fully  welcoming place for
all God's children. The Episcopal Church has already paid a  great price for
standing up to religiously-based homophobia and sexism, and now  has
positioned itself to be a much needed global leader in the spiritual value  of
inclusion, in which Jesus and justice are inextricably connected.

"We  rejoice, especially, with our brother The Right Rev. V. Gene
Robinson, Bishop of New Hampshire, whose witness and faithfulness have  moved the
Episcopal Church to this point."

>Remarks by Stan Kimer,  Chair
>Ecumenical & Inter-religious Team
>Metropolitan Community  Churches

"MCC clergy and lay people have worked with our Episcopal  comrades in
numerous ecumenical settings over the past 40 years. As ecumenical  and faith
partners, we have shared a mutual commitment to welcoming and  affirming
lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Christians. I am very pleased  by the
action of the Episcopal Church in America to lift the de facto  moratorium on
the service of gay people and to now affirm full inclusivity  of all God's
children in 'any ordained ministry' within the Episcopal Church in  America."

>Remarks by Rev. Pat Bumgardner, Chair
>Global Justice  Team
>Metropolitan Community Churches

"Today, I am adding my voice to  those who applaud the courage and
integrity demonstrated in the Episcopal Church  in America's conference vote
allowing the consideration of lesbian and gay  candidates for the ordained
ministry. This vote represents the lifting of  what, in effect, was a moratorium on
ordinations, especially to the episcopate.  I especially want to recognize
the many, including our brother, The Right Rev.  V. Gene Robinson, Bishop of
New Hampshire, who worked long and hard for  this day.

"While grateful for this step forward, I remain mindful  of all the places
in the world where communities of faith, including the wider  Anglican
Communion, use their presence, power and prestige to support the  continued
stigmatization and marginalization of God's lesbian, gay, bisexual and
transgender children. The denomination of Metropolitan Community Churches  (MCC) is
part of a coalition of progressive churches currently  speaking against the
violence suffered by LGBT people in Uganda -- violence  that some religious
voices have condoned.

"I pray in  thanksgiving, yes, for this step forward, and for the day when
the quest for our  full inclusion in the human community, along with the
safety and protection such  inclusion affords, will engender neither contention
nor  debate."

>#   E N D    #

>________________________________

>For Additional  Information, Contact:
>Jim Birkitt, Communications Director
>Metropolitan  Community Churches
>P.O. Box 691728
>Los Angeles, CA 90069
>Email: _info@MCCchurch.net_ (mailto:info@MCCchurch.net)

This statement prepared by the  MCC Moderator's Office, in conjunction with
the Ecumenical & Inter-religious  Team of Metropolitan Community Churches,
Stan Kimer, chair; the Global Justice  Team of Metropolitan Community
Churches, Rev. Pat Bumgardner, chair; and the MCC  Communications Department,
James Birkitt, communications director.
**************S T R E T C H  your technology dollars with great laptop
deals from Dell!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223081712x1201714210/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2