From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Bishops call for 'resources' for same-gender blessings / Committee proposes $23 million budget

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:18:10 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Bishops call for 'resources' for same-gender blessings
* TOP STORY - Bishops, deputies see crisis and opportunity in proposed
budget
* TOP STORY - Deputies approve lay pension plan, covenant study
* TOP STORY - Convention Notebook: Official Youth Presence; Traces of  the
Trade nominated for Emmy
* TOP STORY - Committee proposes $23 million budget cut, reduction in
diocesan asking
* TOP STORY - Focus on the environment is now, Bishop Charleston says at
convention Eucharist
* TOP STORY - ERD Sunday encouraged, liturgy for companion animals  proposed
* TOP STORY - Bishops say 'all baptized persons' is inclusive enough for
ministry access resolution
* TOP STORY - Denominational health plan to provide coverage for all  clergy,
laity
* TOP STORY - God's dream is for a reconciled world, Deputies' president
tells ECW
* TOP STORY - Convention Daily
* MISSION - African-American youth are impressed with church's mission
focus, inclusiveness
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: Young Adults at General Convention
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: General Convention, July 15
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Ian Douglas explains Resolution D025
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Bishop Steven Charleston addresses General  Convention
Eucharist
* OPINION - Reader responses to Episcopal Life's coverage of the 76th
General Convention
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - July 19, 2009 - Seventh Sunday After Pentecost,
Proper 11 - Year B
* DAYBOOK - July 16: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Renewing the Face of the Earth - A Theological and Pastoral
Response to Climate Change

Comprehensive coverage of the Episcopal Church's 76th General Convention  is
available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107145_ENG_HTM.htm.

>For the General Convention Media Hub, visit
>http://gchub.episcopalchurch.org.

News in Spanish (Noticias) is available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81848_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Bishops call for 'resources' for same-gender blessings

>By Pat McCaughan and Jerald Hyche

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Bishops  voted
by a margin of 3 to 1 on July 15 "to acknowledge changing circumstances"
that call forth a renewed pastoral response from the church for  considering
same-gender blessings.

That response, at least for the time being, was a substitution for
Resolution C056, to create an open process and invite church-wide
participation in collecting and developing theological resources and
liturgies. The resolution now heads to the House of Deputies for  approval.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112629_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bishops, deputies see crisis and opportunity in proposed budget

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California ] Just after the  Episcopal
Church's budget committee presented a proposed 2010-2012 triennial  budget
that includes a $23 million cut, bishops and deputies characterized its
consequences as "a bitter pill" that will move the church towards a
healthier structure and mission.

The proposed budget, which must be approved by both houses, would reduce  the
amount of money requested from the church's 110 dioceses while  eliminating
some church-wide programs. Thirty of the 180 people employed by the
Episcopal Church in its New York and regional offices could lose their  jobs.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112628_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Deputies approve lay pension plan, covenant study

>By Melodie Woerman

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Deputies
tackled a wide range of resolutions during its second session July 15,  which
marked the deadline for action on resolutions that require the  concurrence
of the House of Bishops.

It approved Resolution D020, which asks dioceses to study the Ridley
Cambridge Draft of a proposed Anglican covenant -- or any that might  come
after it -- and report their comments to Executive Council, which then  is
asked to make a full report to the General Convention in 2012.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112627_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Convention Notebook: Official Youth Presence; Traces of the Trade  nominated
for Emmy

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Much happens each day at
General Convention. In addition to Episcopal Life Media's other  coverage,
here's some of what else happened on July 15.

* Teen deputies are engaged in work of the church
* Traces of the Trade nominated for Emmy award
* World Mission committee affirm 'the heartbeat of the church is  mission'

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112620_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Committee proposes $23 million budget cut, reduction in diocesan asking

Shorter General Convention, staff layoffs could be part of impact

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service - Anaheim, California] The mission, ministry and
infrastructure of the Episcopal Church would be nearly $23 million  leaner if
the 76th General Convention approves the 2010-2012 budget presented on  July
15.

The proposed budget represents the "crafting of a new look at what the
Episcopal Church should be doing now for (and with) our dioceses,
congregations, and members to enable their own missions and ministries  more
effectively," Diocese of Connecticut Bishop Andrew Smith, Program,  Budget
and Finance (PBF) co-chair, told a joint session of the houses of  Bishops
and Deputies.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112611_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Focus on the environment is now, Bishop Charleston says at convention
Eucharist

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Future generations will  look
back on the Episcopal Church aghast that it spent 30 years talking about
human sexuality and largely ignoring the ecological disaster affecting  the
world, said Bishop Steven Charleston, in his July 15 sermon during a  General
Convention Eucharist that celebrated creation care.

"For years now the environmental movement has told us that there is a  clock
ticking, a clock, ticking, a great organic ecological clock that is  ticking
away the time of our lives to that when we no longer will be able to  reverse
the damage that we have done to this planet through our own greed,
negligence and ignorance," said Charleston, assistant bishop of  California
and provost of Grace Cathedral in San Francisco.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112609_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

ERD Sunday encouraged, liturgy for companion animals proposed

>By Sharon Sheridan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The Prayer Book, Liturgy  and
Music committee on July 15 approved a long list of resolutions for
consideration by the House of Bishops.

Among others, the resolutions recommend establishing an Episcopal Relief  and
Development (ERD) Sunday during Lent; referring resolutions to the  Standing
Commission on Liturgy and Music (SCLM) that propose an alternate  Baptismal
Covenant and various calendar commemorations, including a possible  creation
season; directing SCLM to develop a rite to observe the loss of a  companion
animal; and directing the commission to confer with the Standing  Commission
for Constitution and Canons about matters affecting liturgical  translations.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112605_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bishops say 'all baptized persons' is inclusive enough for ministry  access
resolution

House recommends giving dioceses sole consent on bishop elections

>By Jerald Hyche

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Bishops  July 15
adopted an amended version of Resolution C061, which would change the  canons
to say that "all baptized persons" have full access to any ministry, lay  or
ordained. The amended measure, which proposes a change to Title III, Canon 1,  returns
to the House of Deputies World Mission Committee.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112598_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Denominational health plan to provide coverage for all clergy, laity

>By Melodie Woerman

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Deputies  July
15 concurred with action by the House of Bishops on July 12 to adopt
Resolution A177, which establishes a mandatory health plan for the  Episcopal
Church through the church's Medical Trust. The resolution passed on a  voice
vote.

The plan applies to all domestic dioceses (including Puerto Rico and the
Virgin Islands) and congregations, parishes and missions, as well as  church
organizations mandated by church canons. It would provide parity of  coverage
to all lay and clergy employees working at least 1,500 hours a year.  People
employed by institutions such as schools, day-care centers and other
diocesan institutions can opt to participate but are not required to do  so.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112594_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

God's dream is for a reconciled world, Deputies' president tells ECW

>By Nan Ross

[Triennial Today -- Anaheim, California] President of the House of  Deputies
Bonnie Anderson paid a visit to the ECW Triennial July 14, calling it a
chance for her to take a respite from her work and check herself against  an
internal question: "Am I keeping my eye on the prize here?"

The prize to which she refers -- because she believes that God dreams  about
us -- is that in "God's dream ... we are all in peaceful relationship  with
each other. We are whole and happy; the lions lie down with the lambs.  There
is enough to eat for everyone. (It's) the world as it should be -- a  world
reconciled, as God made it."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112585_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Convention Daily

[Episcopal News Service] During the Episcopal Church's General  Convention
July 8-17 in Anaheim, California, Episcopal Life is producing a daily
newspaper offering in-depth coverage of the triennial gathering. The  Daily
also includes Perspectivas Latinas, offering news in Spanish, and  Triennial
Today, featuring news of the Episcopal Church Women meeting, which runs
concurrently with General Convention.

All other editions are available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_111761_ENG_HTM.htm.

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>MISSION

African-American youth are impressed with church's mission focus,
inclusiveness

>By ENS staff

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Meeting the Presiding
Bishop, exploring the exhibit hall, serving as lay eucharistic ministers  and
visiting with church leaders were just some of the agenda items for a  group
of 11 young African Americans visiting General Convention under the  auspices
of the Office of Black Ministries.

The young people, ages 14-17, are participants in the S.O.U.L.  (Spiritual
Opportunity to Unite and Learn) leadership conference, which for the  first
time in its 10-year history is being held concurrently with General
Convention.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_112614_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Image Gallery: Young Adults at General Convention
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81991_112589_ENG_HTM.htm

Image Gallery: General Convention, July 15

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112616_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Video: Ian Douglas explains Resolution D025

The Rev. Ian Douglas, deputy from the Diocese of Massachusetts, explains  the
process that led to the passing of Resolution D025 and what it means for  the
Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion.

Video: Bishop Steven Charleston addresses General Convention Eucharist

Bishop Steven Charleston, in his July 15 sermon during a General  Convention
Eucharist that celebrated creation care, said that future generations  will

Videos: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Reader responses to Episcopal Life's coverage of the 76th General  Convention

[Episcopal News Service] Episcopal Life Online has received a number of
letters is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112617_ENG_HTM.htm.

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

July 19, 2009 - Seventh Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 11 - Year B

(RCL) 2 Samuel 7:1-14a and Psalm 89:20-37; or Jeremiah 23:1-6 and Psalm  23;
Ephesians 2:11-22; Mark 6:30-34, 53-56

>By the Rev. Dr. Joseph S. Pagano

[Sermons That Work] We are in many ways a weary people. Literally and
figuratively, we are tired.

A survey conducted by the National Sleep Foundation found that 47  million
American adults suffer from sleep deprivation. That's almost a quarter  of
the adult population in America. That's a lot of weary people. And it is  a
serious problem. Fatigue and exhaustion can have serious consequences.  Lack
of sleep can affect our physical and mental health. It can also be  deadly.
Sixty percent of licensed drivers reported that they drove cars while
drowsy. Fatigue has contributed to many auto accidents and fatalities.  Sleep
deprivation is a serious problem, and it has a number of causes: from
lifestyle choices, to work, to illnesses, to sleeping disorders. The  results
of the survey are clear: many Americans, too many Americans, both adults  and
children, are not getting enough sleep. We are, quite literally, a weary
people.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_112044_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 16, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 16, 1986, Los Angeles Bishop Robert C.  Rusack
died.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Renewing the Face of the Earth - A Theological and Pastoral Response to
Climate Change" from Canterbury Press Norwich, by David Atkinson, 166  pages,
paperback, $22.99

[Canterbury Press Norwich] This important and timely book provides a  much
needed framework for understanding and responding to the most urgent
environmental challenge facing the word today.

In a highly readable and clear style, it explores the spiritual  questions
being opened up by this issue: questions about human life and destiny,  about
our relationship to the planet and to each other, about altriusm and
selfishness, about the place of technology, about justice, our values  and
hopes.

A framework for considering these issues is provided by the ancient  Hebrew
concepts of covenant -- God's commitment to creation which the author  argues
is the 'inner meaning' of creation, and sabbath -- regular times of rest  and
replenishment for humans and for the earth itself.

Seeing climate changes in the light of these foundational biblical
principles makes clear the strong moral imperative to act in ways that  will
help fulfill the hope that the whole of creation will one day be renewed  in
Christ.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org