From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Deputies value youth presence, call for increased mission activity / Convention adopts severel

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:03:11 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Deputies value youth presence, call for increased mission
activity
* TOP STORY - West Texas bishop drafts 'Anaheim Statement,' reaffirms
moratoria commitment
* TOP STORY - Convention adopts severely reduced triennial budget
* TOP STORY - From Breath to Wonder: L.A. Night rocks Anaheim Convention
Center Arena
* TOP STORY - Crisis equals opportunity in the Episcopal Church, Brian
McLaren says
* TOP STORY - Bishops delay decision on retired bishops' voice and vote
* TOP STORY - Continuing dioceses: The church is alive and well
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: Decorated standards in House of Deputies
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: General Convention, July 16
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Brian McLaren addresses General Convention  Eucharist
* ARTS - Ubuntu Choir resonates throughout convention
* DAYBOOK - July 17: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Praying in Color - Kid's Edition

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Deputies value youth presence, call for increased mission activity

Clergy training to help respond to domestic violence victims

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Deputies  July
16 dealt with resolutions that addressed social issues and internal  church
matters, including a call for increased mission activity.

Resolution D075, titled "Mission, the Heartbeat of the Church,"  challenges
dioceses and congregations to participate in a new or ongoing project  "that
engages in a relationship with another part of the body of Christ in the
world." It also directs the Standing Commission on World Mission to  develop
strategies to help individuals, congregations and dioceses engage in  mission
activities.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112691_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

West Texas bishop drafts 'Anaheim Statement,' reaffirms moratoria  commitment

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Bishop Gary W.  Lillibridge
of West Texas read a statement to the House of Bishops July 16,
acknowledging that a "majority of this convention believes that the
Episcopal Church should move forward on matters of human sexuality."

Lillibridge's statement reaffirmed his commitment to the Windsor  moratoria.
He invited other bishops to join him in signing the so-called "Anaheim
Statement." Internet reports estimated that anywhere between 12 and 26
bishops had signed the statement, which Lillibridge reportedly presented  in
a closed session prior to the House of Bishops regular afternoon  meeting.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112688_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Convention adopts severely reduced triennial budget

Deputies refuse to tinker with proposal; bishops act without debate

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service - Anaheim, California] The 76th General  Convention
adopted a $141 million budget for 2010-2012 on July 16 that asks for  less
money from dioceses and drastically reduces church-wide spending by $23
million.

The House of Deputies spent approximately three hours debating the  budget
and rejecting all attempts to change its revenue or expense categories.  The
budget was then passed on a voice vote and sent to the House of Bishops.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112674_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>From Breath to Wonder: L.A. Night rocks Anaheim Convention Center Arena

McLaren calls for 'wholeness'; Poet Dominic Flores says, 'Jesus text me  LOL'

>By Pat McCaughan and Janet Kawamoto

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Church happened in a  dynamic
and big and "transformational" way with multimedia presentations of  themes
such as breath, sky, earth, connectivity, mystery, and wonder at the  July 15
L.A. Night at the Anaheim Convention Center Arena.

Bishop Jon Bruno of Los Angeles welcomed some 3,000 convention-goers,  armed
with "post-modern votives" -- glow sticks -- to the evening program,  which
focused on emergent church.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112662_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Crisis equals opportunity in the Episcopal Church, Brian McLaren says

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] "Evangelism" is not a  dirty
word, said author, activist and evangelist Brian McLaren in his sermon  at
the daily convention Eucharist on July 16.

"We live in a strange time in reference to the 'e' word," he said. "For  many
of us, the word 'evangelism' evokes ugly and morally tainted  associations
with colonialism, religious supremacy, with shabby televangelism, and as  a
result many Episcopalians would say that evangelism may be a Southern
Baptist thing or a Pentecostal thing, but it is not an Episcopal thing,
thank you very much."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112659_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bishops delay decision on retired bishops' voice and vote

>By Jerald Hyche

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Bishops  ended
an emotional discussion July 17 by again delaying a long-sought decision
about whether retired bishops should be able to vote.

Bishops voted 72-39 to refer Resolution A052 to the Standing Commission  on
Constitution and Canons to provide more time to study the issue. The  issue
will not resurface until another "first reading" at the 77th General
Convention in 2012, where, if passed, it will require approval again at
convention in 2015.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112658_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Continuing dioceses: The church is alive and well

>By Sharon Tillman

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Bishops and deputies  from
what are known collectively as the four continuing dioceses of the  Episcopal
Church -- individually the dioceses of Fort Worth (Texas), Pittsburgh,
Quincy (Illinois) and San Joaquin (California) -- have had a chance to
settle into General Convention and focus on the work at hand: committee
assignments, legislative sessions, amendments, votes, elections, worship  and
fellowship.

As the close of General Convention nears, attendees who have remained  loyal
to the Episcopal Church after leaders of their dioceses departed over
theological differences shared their experiences and what they hoped to
bring back to their dioceses and parishes.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112639_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>MULTIMEDIA

Image Gallery: Decorated standards in House of Deputies
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112664_ENG_HTM.htm

Image Gallery: General Convention, July 16

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112685_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Video: Brian McLaren addresses General Convention Eucharist

Brian McLaren, a non-denominational pastor who lectures and writes about
modern-day evangelism, delivered a sermon during the July 16 Eucharist  at
the 76th General Convention of the Episcopal Church.

Video: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

>Ubuntu Choir resonates throughout convention

>By Sharon Sheridan

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The music group A Joyful
Noise was rehearsing How Great Thou Art before the July 15 convention
Eucharist, and tenor Sheila Phillip couldn't resist breaking into  harmony in
the midst of a conversation.

Every morning during convention, Phillip has arrived early at the  worship
hall to rehearse for the day's Eucharist as part of the Ubuntu  Convention
Choir. This is the first convention to feature a volunteer choir in  addition
to scheduled visiting musicians and ensembles. Seventy to eighty singers
have participated each day.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_112678_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 17, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: on July 17, 1996, David Hogan, a composer whose
Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis Mt. St. Alban were commissioned for the
consecration of Washington National Cathedral, was killed in the  explosion
of TWA flight 800 to Paris.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Praying in Color - Kid's Edition" from Paraclete Press, by Sybil  MacBeth,
38 pages, paperback, c. 2009, $16.99

[Paraclete Press] Now kids can pray in color, too! This  first-of-its-kind
resource will forever change the way kids prayer - and how adults try to
teach them to do it.

This is prayer that makes sense to kids. One minute a day will do. Any  time
of the day will work. Drawing with markers or crayons is half the  prayer;
the other half is carrying the visual memories throughout the day.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org