From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Mood of convention reflects ubuntu / Presiding Bishop tells convention to spread the 'good new

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:05:34 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Mood of convention reflects ubuntu
* TOP STORY - Deputies address economic crisis, bishop elections
* TOP STORY - Bishops discuss budget realities
* TOP STORY - Bishops reject resolution on Israel/Palestine, call for  more
balanced approach
* TOP STORY - Presiding Bishop tells convention to spread the 'good  news' at
home
* TOP STORY - Public narrative offers Episcopalians leadership training,
call to mission
* TOP STORY - Convention calls for collection of 'resources' for  same-gender
blessing
* TOP STORY - Presiding officers' letter to Canterbury presents context  for
convention actions
* TOP STORY - Convention Daily
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - OREGON: Marcus Borg named canon theologian at  Trinity
Cathedral in Portland
* PEOPLE - 'The Terminator' Nigel Renton makes appearance at convention
* EDUCATION - Seabury-Western completes sale-leaseback agreement with
Northwestern University
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: General Convention, July 17
* MULTIMEDIA - Video: Presiding Bishop delivers closing sermon at  convention
Eucharist
* OPINION - Passing the peace includes the outsider
* OPINION - Reader responses to Episcopal Life's coverage of the 76th
General Convention
* DAYBOOK - July 18: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - The Book of Mary

Comprehensive coverage of the Episcopal Church's 76th General Convention  is
available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107145_ENG_HTM.htm.

>For the General Convention Media Hub, visit
>http://gchub.episcopalchurch.org.

News in Spanish (Noticias) is available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81848_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

>Mood of convention reflects ubuntu

By Solange De Santis and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The 76th General  Convention
closed July 17 with many participants saying that the gathering lived  into
its statement theme of Ubuntu: I in You and You in Me.

"The mood has been extremely, extremely -- I don't think there's a word
called ubuntu-ish, but if there were, that is how I would describe the  mood
of this General Convention," House of Deputies President Bonnie Anderson
told the convention's closing media briefing. "We did not all agree 100
percent. We have been struggling. We have heard each other. We have been  so
careful to make sure that we have listened to and responded to the needs  of
our church."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112735_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Deputies address economic crisis, bishop elections

>By Melodie Woerman

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The House of Deputies
dispatched a large volume of resolutions on General Convention's final  day
July 17, including a response to the global economic crisis and the  first
steps in removing convention's role in approving some bishop elections.

Resolution D018 urges bishops to develop a pastoral teaching resource on
God's mission and the global economic crisis and invites dioceses and
congregations to use Lent 2010 as a time of "penitential reflection on  the
brokenness of the global economic order and its reformation in light of  the
gospel."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112734_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Bishops discuss budget realities

>By Pat McCaughan and Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The 2010-2012 triennial
budget got the attention of both the presiding officers of the 76th  General
Convention and its House of Bishops on the closing day of the July 8-17
gathering in Anaheim.

The bishops spent a half-hour in public conversation July 17 discussing
living into the budget realities and rejecting "business as usual." The
discussion came the day after the bishops had accepted the budget  without
debate.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112733_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Bishops reject resolution on Israel/Palestine, call for more balanced
approach

>By Jerald Hyche and Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service - Anaheim, California] The House of Bishops on  July
17 rejected a resolution that called for dismantling the wall between  Israel
and Palestine and for creation of a "sovereign Palestinian state."  Several
bishops who opposed the measure said they favored a more balanced  approach
toward Israel and Palestine.

The bishops voted 53 to 43 against Resolution B027, which would also  have
called for "an end to the ongoing confiscation of Palestinian land,
demolition of housing and the displacement of people" and for a just
resolution for Palestinian refugees.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112720_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Presiding Bishop tells convention to spread the 'good news' at home

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service - Anaheim, California] In the final hours on the
final day of the 76th General Convention, Presiding Bishop Katharine
Jefferts Schori reminded the bishops, clergy, laity and guests of the  power
of words.

"We've heard lots of words these last 11 days. We've used those words to
make policy, to claim our missionary heartbeat, to bind ourselves in
solidarity with the least, the lost and the left out, she said in her  July
17 sermon. "Some of us have even had to eat our words - unexpected  things
have happened, we've made mistakes, and we may even have misused our  words.
We have eaten Word, sacramental Word becoming flesh in us, that our  words
might come closer to that original Word."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112704_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Public narrative offers Episcopalians leadership training, call to  mission

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] "Mission" was a word
Episcopalians used repeatedly during the 76th General Convention.

It was spoken in worship, in committee and floor debates and in a series  of
structured conversations about how Episcopalians translate their  personal
faith and their membership in the church into a call to do God's work in  the
world.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112703_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Convention calls for collection of 'resources' for same-gender blessing

>By Melodie Woerman

[Episcopal News Service] On the final day of General Convention, the  House
of Deputies concurred July 17 with an earlier vote by the House of  Bishops
"to acknowledge changing circumstances" that call forth a renewed  pastoral
response from the church for considering same-gender blessings.

Resolution C056 authorizes the House of Bishops, in conjunction with the
Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music (SCLM), to devise an open  process
that will invite church-wide participation in collecting and developing
theological resources and liturgies. They are to report their efforts to  the
next General Convention in 2012.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112702_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Presiding officers' letter to Canterbury presents context for convention
actions

Jefferts Schori, Anderson underscore 'deep commitment' to Anglican  Communion

>By Matthew Davies

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] The two presiding  officers
of General Convention have written to Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan
Williams providing an explanation and clarification of Resolution D025
pertaining to human sexuality issues and the Episcopal Church's  commitment
to the Anglican Communion. The letter was also sent to the communion's  38
primates.

"We understand Resolution D025 to be more descriptive than prescriptive  in
nature -- a statement that reaffirms commitments already made by the
Episcopal Church and that acknowledges certain realities of our common  life.
Nothing in the resolution goes beyond what has already been provided  under
our Constitution and Canons for many years," wrote Presiding Bishop
Katharine Jefferts Schori and President of the House of Deputies Bonnie
Anderson.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112694_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>Convention Daily

[Episcopal News Service] During the Episcopal Church's General  Convention
July 8-17 in Anaheim, California, Episcopal Life is producing a daily
newspaper offering in-depth coverage of the triennial gathering. The  Daily
also includes Perspectivas Latinas, offering news in Spanish, and  Triennial
Today, featuring news of the Episcopal Church Women meeting, which runs
concurrently with General Convention.

All editions of The Daily are available at

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_111761_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

OREGON: Marcus Borg named canon theologian at Trinity Cathedral in  Portland

[Trinity Cathedral] Marcus Borg, internationally known biblical scholar,  was
installed on May 31 as the first canon theologian at Trinity Episcopal
Cathedral in Portland, Oregon. Borg will present public lectures, teach
adult courses within the parish, preach occasionally, and serve as a
consultant for parish education programs.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_112644_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

'The Terminator' Nigel Renton makes appearance at convention

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] In the House of Deputies
July 16, President Bonnie Anderson introduced "The Terminator" Nigel  Renton,
a long-time former deputy from the Diocese of California who was  well-known
for "terminating" debate on the floor.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_112731_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>EDUCATION

Seabury-Western completes sale-leaseback agreement with Northwestern
University

[Seabury-Western] Seabury-Western Theological Seminary has reached an
agreement to sell its buildings and land to Northwestern University.
Included in the agreement that will fund many of its new initiatives  after
eliminating the debt load is a lease back of office, chapel and class  space.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/78650_112713_ENG_HTM.htm

More Education: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80263_93222_ENG_HTM.htm

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/107152_112712_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Video: Presiding Bishop delivers closing sermon at convention Eucharist

Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori delivers a sermon during the  July
17 closing Eucharist at General Convention.

Video: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81231_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Passing the peace includes the outsider

>By Jesse Zink

[Episcopal Life] "Uxolo lwenkosi malusoloko lunani," the priest says,
raising his arms wide. "The peace of the Lord be always with you." "Lube
nawe kanjalo," we respond in unison, linking hands. "And also with you."

One voice sounds the first note, and 300 more join in. "Bind us  together,
Lord, bind us together," we sing, raising and lowering our hands as one,  the
chain of hands a visual reminder of the chords for which we pray.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_112715_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Reader responses to Episcopal Life's coverage of the 76th General  Convention

[Episcopal News Service -- Anaheim, California] Episcopal Life Online  has
received a number of responses to its coverage of the 76th General
Convention. A selection of letters is available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112699_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On July 18, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 18, 1323, Italian philosopher and Dominican
theologian Thomas Aquinas was canonized.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"The Book of Mary" from Church Publishing, Inc., by Nicola Slee, 143  pages,
paperback, c. 2007, $17

[Church Publishing, Inc.] "Of all the women in the Bible," writes Nicola
Slee, "Mary has been for me the most ambivalent, the most alien and yet,  at
some level, the most alluring. I've taken a long time to come to her-or  for
her to come to me. I grew up in a religious tradition-low church
Methodism-in which Mary hardly featured, other than in the nativity  story.
Yet it is hardly possible to exist as an inhabitant of the western  world,
with even half an eye open to the visual and cultural heritage of
Christendom, and not to have been in some way affected by this woman,  the
woman of the Christian tradition."

With a collection of prayers and liturgical material focused around the
figure of Mary, and the themes of motherhood, sisterhood, and female  faith,
this book projects a strong, contemporary attitude. It is clearly  feminist,
affirming the significance of Mary in the faith journey of contemporary
Christian (and other) women, plus it challenges and critiques  traditional
stereotypes of Mary. The author explores the sorrows of Mary, her  defiance
and resistance, sexuality, sensuality, aloneness, independence and  freedom,
companionship, sisterhood, friendship, ministry, priesthood,  contemplation,
prayer and silence, wisdom, authority, faith, risk, and daring.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org