From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anglican Archbishops' advice swine flu and Communion

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:07:39 -0700

Swine Flu: Archbishops' advice on sharing of Communion

Posted On : July 24, 2009 4:54 PM | Posted By : Admin ACO
Related Categories: England

ACNS: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/news.cfm/2009/7/24/ACNS4640

The Archbishops of Canterbury and York have written to Bishops in the
Church of England recommending the suspension of the sharing of the
chalice at communion.

The Archbishops' letter follows advice from the Department of Health not
to share "common vessels" for food or drink.

For those who wish still to offer both bread and wine, the Archbishops
have recommended use of "personal intinction by the presiding minister"
allowing the priest to dip communion wafers in the chalice before
handing them out to communicants.

The full text of the letter follows:

The Feast of St Mary Magdalene
22nd July 2009

Dear Colleague,

It now seems right to offer guidance at a national level about how the
Church of England's worship might best take into account the interests
of public health during the current phase of the swine flu pandemic.

The Department of Health have recently advised us that "in a pandemic it
makes good sense to take precautions to limit the spread of disease by
not sharing common vessels for food and drink". In the light of this
advice, we recommend those presiding at Holy Communion suspend the
administration of the chalice during this wave of pandemic flu.   For
those who still wish to offer in both kinds, we recommend the practice
whereby the presiding minister, whose hands should have been washed with
the appropriate alcohol based rub before handling the elements and the
vessels, personally intincts all wafers before placing them in the hands
of communicants. This is a practice widely observed in Anglican churches
throughout Africa. Communicants receiving in this way need to be
confident that the clergy and all assistant ministers follow the
relevant guidance on hygiene.

The Bishop of Ripon & Leeds circulated substantial guidance, including a
summary of the government's advice, with his letter of 23 June. Many of
you have already issued local guidance based upon its content. We regard
it as important that those presiding at Holy Communion are aware of this
advice and of that contained in this letter. They should offer guidance
to the congregation about appropriate precautions in receiving communion
and exchanging the peace.

We shall keep this advice under review and will ensure that the detailed
guidance provided on the Church of England website is kept up-to-date.
In the meantime, wish to express our gratitude to you and those who
share your ministry for the pastoral care and service offered at this
time of national concern.

+Rowan Cantuar

+Sentamu Ebor

distributed to more than 8,000 journalists and other readers around
the world.