From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] Episcopal Church Building Fund plans move to Virginia

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:09:35 -0400

>Episcopal Life Daily
>July 30, 2009

>Episcopal Life Online is available at
>http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - Episcopal Church Building Fund plans move to Virginia
* PEOPLE - Tutu to receive prestigious Presidential Medal of Freedom
* PEOPLE - Episcopal Church Foundation names two board members
* MISSION - Sewanee launches Center for Religion and Environment
* DAYBOOK - July 31: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - The Third Chapter: Passion, Risk, and Adventure in the 25
Years After 50

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

Episcopal Church Building Fund plans move to Virginia

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] The board of trustees of the Episcopal Church
Building Fund (ECBF) announced plans July 30 to move in the fall the
$7.5 million revolving loan fund's administrative offices to Richmond,
Virginia from the Episcopal Church Center in New York.

"The Building Fund has been located at the Episcopal Church Center in
Manhattan for 34 years and has enjoyed a strong collegial partnership
that has reaped abundance for both," said Bishop Dabney Smith, the
board's chair, in a news release. "Today, we begin a new chapter in our
129-year history."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_112960_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

>_____________________

>MISSION

Sewanee launches Center for Religion and Environment

>By Phina Borgeson

[Episcopal News Service] The University of the South in Sewanee,
Tennessee, has announced the creation of the Center for Religion and
Environment, which connects its College of Arts and Sciences, School of
Theology, and All Saints Chapel in a partnership to strengthen its
mission in education, church and society.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_112950_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Tutu to receive prestigious Presidential Medal of Freedom

[Episcopal News Service] Archbishop Emeritus of Cape Town and Nobel
Peace Prize winner Desmond Tutu is among 16 recipients who will be
bestowed the prestigious Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama at
an awards ceremony scheduled for August 12.

The award is intended to recognize individuals who have made "an
especially meritorious contribution to the security or national
interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other
significant public or private endeavors."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_112961_ENG_HTM.htm
_ _ _ _ _

Episcopal Church Foundation names two board members

[Episcopal News Service]  Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori,
honorary chair of the Episcopal Church Foundation's (ECF) board of
directors, appointed two new directors: Richard L. Clements of Oklahoma
City and Clyde W. Kunz of Phoenix.

"This is a very exciting time in the life of ECF as it celebrates its
60th anniversary and continues to strive to serve the changing needs of
the church during these times of both challenge and opportunity," she
noted in her letter of appointment.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_112959_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On July 31, 2009, the church calendar remembers Ignatius of Loyola,
priest, monastic, and founder of the Society of Jesus (1491-1556).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On July 31, 1966, residents of Alabama burned
Beatles' records and other products after John Lennon proclaimed the
Beatles to be "more popular than Jesus."

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"The Third Chapter: Passion, Risk, and Adventure in the 25 Years After
50" from Farrar, Straus and Giroux, by Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot, 261
pages, paperback, c. 2009, $25

[Farrar, Straus and Giroux] In the 21st century, a developmental phase
of life is emerging as significant and distinct, capturing our interest,
engaging our curiosity, and expanding our understanding of human
potential and development. Demographers talk about this new chapter in
life as characterized by people -- between 50 and 75 -- who are
considered "neither young nor old." In our "third chapters" we are
beginning to redefine our views about the casualties and opportunities
of aging; we are challenging cultural definitions of strength, maturity,
power, and sexiness.

This is a chapter in life when the traditional norms, rules, and rituals
of our careers seem less encompassing and restrictive; when many women
and men seem to be embracing new challenges and searching for greater
meaning in life.

In The Third Chapter, the renowned sociologist Dr. Sara
Lawrence-Lightfoot offers a strong counterpoint to the murky ambivalence
that shrouds our clear view of people in their third chapters. She
challenges the still prevailing and anachronistic images of aging by
documenting and revealing the ways in which the years between fifty and
seventy-five may, in fact, be the most transformative and generative
time in our lives, tracing the ways in which wisdom, experience, and new
learning inspire individual growth and cultural transformation. The
women and men whose voices fill the pages of The Third Chapter tell
passionate and poignant stories of risk and vulnerability, failure and
resilience, challenge and mastery, experimentation and improvisation,
and insight and new learning.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org