From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN: Taiwanese pastors and church members seek revival at Korean conference

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 3 Aug 2009 06:16:45 -0700

>Taiwan Church News

>2996 Edition

>July 27~August 2, 2009

Taiwanese pastors and church members seek revival at Korean  conference

>Reported by Chen Yi-hsuan

>Written by Lydia Ma

The 21st Asia Christian’s Conference in Korea took place at  Yoido Full Gospel

Church from July 18~25, 2009 and Kaohsiung Presbytery encouraged  members

to attend this rally as it has done so in the past. This  year’s theme was “Family

and Revival” and with special emphasis on the revival of  families as precursor to

social revival. About 140 PCT members from southern Taiwan  attended the rally.

According to Rev. Hsia Wen-hsueh, the PCT should pay close  attention to this

conference in Korea and see how it affects PCT churches. Though  some people

aren’t used to the style of the rally, the efforts and good  intentions of pastors and

church co-workers responsible for the rally are undeniable, said  Hsia. He also

pointed out that many talented, young people from across Asia are  flocking to

this conference and the PCT should not ignore this trend.

Participants who attend the rally are mostly drawn to its lively  format and intense

teaching sessions. One Taiwanese pastor who has attended the rally  more than

10 times over the past few years pointed out bluntly that Sunday  services should

be “enjoyable” and not “something to bear  with.” Based on more than 30 years of

ministry experience, he argued that using rationality to study the  Bible in addition

to using emotions and senses to experience God is the most  holistic approach to

nurturing the Christian faith. Though such rallies are not  cure-alls, if churches

would learn to lighten up the atmosphere of their Sunday services  and help

Christians love Sunday services and experience more the presence  of the Holy

Spirit so that regular Sunday services become as electrifying as  worship rallies,

then, church members wouldn’t need to flock to revival  meetings to seek healing.

Hsia encouraged PCT leaders to view the conference in Korea with  humility and

learn from it. He emphasized that maintaining such an attitude  conforms to the

Presbyterian Church’s tradition of always reforming and  renewing ourselves so

that we can learn from other people’s strengths and evaluate  our own short-

>comings.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the  reporter and writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English) http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)