From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC Insurance Board Weathers Financial Crisis, Expands

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 10:18:43 -0700

UCCIB weathers financial crisis, expands client list and services

Written by Gregg Brekke
August 3, 2009

Although some will remember troubled days at the United Church of
Christ Insurance Board (UCCIB), two years of better-than-anticipated
growth, little or no rate increase for most customers, and stability
through the recent financial downturn shows the corporation is on good  footing.

Owing to better oversight and programs that help customers reduce
their insurance risk, UCCIB President Cathy Green has a positive
outlook for the company.

"We no longer have any concerns over the financial strength or
stability of the organization," says Green. "We have unrestricted net
assets after setting aside money for losses."

"Unrestricted net assets" is insurance lingo that means the company
has no outstanding debts beyond the money it must reserve to cover
potential claims. It's a good thing, uncommon in the industry, and a
sign that the UCCIB's financial house is in order.

So good, in fact, that in addition to the 2,700 UCC and Christian
Church (Disciples of Christ) institutions insuring through UCCIB, the
company has added over 700 clients from the Presbyterian Church (USA)
since it began offering coverage to them in June.

"We've grown 15 percent over the last year, even without counting the
new PCUSA customers," says Green.

Green attributes the growth to the dedication and creativity of her
staff and an expansion of services that came as a result of listening
to church's needs.

Online background checking and education modules aimed at the
prevention of sexual misconduct have enabled congregations to take
advantage of a much needed area of institutional liability insurance.

The UCCIB also instituted a program that allows churches who sustain
damage to "upgrade to green" using environmentally friendly
technologies and materials ? even when such methods are more expensive
than traditional building processes.

These additions are what Green calls the "distinctive value
proposition" of the UCCIB ? they customize in the needs of churches.
"[Churches] have unique architecture, organs and stained glass. These
are difficult to replace and the awareness of these costs is part of
the risk services we provide to help churches obtain the right
coverage," says Green.

Green also lifts up the covenantal nature the UCCIB holds within the
UCC. As a nonprofit corporation governed by the Conferences, the UCCIB
owes its existence and oversight to the whole of the UCC, she says.

While other church-based insurance carriers have stopped offering
services in disaster-battered areas such as the Gulf Coast, the UCCIB
has "made choices that help us be inclusive to the whole church that
the traditional marketplace might not consider," says Green.

In addition to continuing to cover churches in these areas, Green says
keeping covenant involves helping churches get through financial hard
times by offering flexibility to churches when they fall short on payments.

Without citing specifics, Green hints that the UCCIB hopes to include
even more insurance options and expanded coverage in this year's
renewal. She urges clients and potential clients to sign up for the
UCCIB's quarterly safety newsletter and look for program updates at
the UCCIB website InsuranceBoard.org.

"We are in many ways a new organization," says Green of the positive
changes and financial outlook at UCCIB. "We're better able to serve
the needs of our customers because they told us what they need and
we've responded."