From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] PHILIPPINES: Council of Bishops issues letter in opposition to charter change / NEW ZEALAND: M

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 5 Aug 2009 07:48:12 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* WORLD REPORT - PHILIPPINES: Council of Bishops issues letter in
opposition to charter change
* WORLD REPORT - NEW ZEALAND: Maori welcome inspires scholars at
Anglican liturgy gathering
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Archbishop of Canterbury condemns atrocities
in Pakistan
* WORLD REPORT - KENYA: Church council calls for new elections
* PEOPLE - William Vaughan named director of institutional advancement
at Episcopal Divinity School
* OPINION - Make evangelism the church's top priority
* OPINION - We should tell our own story, Good News and bad
* DAYBOOK - August 5: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Gregorian Chant - A Guide to the History and Liturgy

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

NEW ZEALAND: Maori welcome inspires scholars at Anglican liturgy gathering

>By Lloyd Ashton

[Anglican Church of Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia] The Rev.
Clayton Morris, New York-based liturgical officer for the Episcopal
Church, has been to a few international get-togethers for liturgy
scholars in the past two decades. But none, he said, has kicked off
with the oomph and the good vibe of the 2009 International Anglican
Liturgical Consultation, which is meeting this week in Holy Trinity
Cathedral, Auckland, New Zealand.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_113014_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

PHILIPPINES: Council of Bishops issues letter in opposition to charter
change

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] The Council of Bishops of the Episcopal
Church in the Philippines issued a statement July 30 against amending
the nation's Constitution - a change opponents say would perpetuate
President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo's hold on power.

Arroyo's presidential term expires in 2010. In the statement, the
bishops equate the current political situation with that of former
President Ferdinand Marcos' cling to power in the early 1970s. In
1972, after Marcos' efforts to extend his term failed, he declared
martial law, holding on to power until his ouster in 1986, according
to the statement.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_113016_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

PAKISTAN: Archbishop of Canterbury condemns atrocities against Christians

[Anglican Communion News Service] The Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan
Williams August 4 made the following statement regarding the violence
in Pakistan:

The recent atrocities against Christians in Pakistan will sear the
imaginations of countless people of all faiths throughout the world.
As the minister of law in the Punjab has already said, such actions
are not the work of true Muslims: they are an abuse of real faith and
an injury to its reputation as well as an outrage against common
humanity, and deserve forthright condemnation.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_113017_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>KENYA: Church council calls for new elections

[Ecumenical News International] Kenya should have fresh elections
because its government has backed away from a pledge to set up a
tribunal to try suspected perpetrators of post-election violence in
2008, said the east African country's national church council.
"This government has now failed to protect justice and has become a
grand defender of impunity," the National Council of Churches in Kenya
said in a July 31 statement. "In the face of such betrayal, Kenyans
must resoundingly put across a strong message that the moral authority
of the grand coalition government to govern has been grossly
undermined."
Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_113010_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

William Vaughan named director of institutional advancement at
Episcopal Divinity School

[Episcopal Divinity School] William Vaughan has been named director of
institutional advancement at Episcopal Divinity School in Cambridge,
Massachusetts, according to a release from the seminary.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_113018_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

>Make evangelism the church's top priority

>By William H. Stokes

[Episcopal Life] "The heartbeat of our Episcopal Church will forever
be 'mission, mission, mission.'"

This statement of "priorities" appeared in the published budget
presented to the 76th General Convention in Anaheim, California, by
the Joint Standing Committee on Program, Budget and Finance.

There can be no doubt that mission is a central priority of the
Episcopal Church. Sixty-two percent of our budget is expended on
program and mission.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_113004_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

We should tell our own story, Good News and bad

>By Herb Gunn

When General Convention decided to let plans go forward to switch the
Episcopal Church's monthly newspaper to a quarterly feature-oriented
magazine without further study, the decision was about more than the
loss of a newspaper. In fact, it never was strictly a debate between
parchment and pixels, per se.

Undergirding the discussion about dramatically shifting the
communication strategy of the Episcopal Church is the question of
editorial integrity -- which I quickly grant is neither guaranteed nor
necessarily imperiled in any specific vehicle of communication.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_113003_ENG_HTM.htm

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On August 5, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 5, 1633, Archbishop of Canterbury George
Abbot died at Croydon.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Gregorian Chant - A Guide to the History and Liturgy" from Paraclete
Press, by Dom Daniel Saulinier, OSB, translated by Dr. Mary Berry,
CBE, 147 pages, paperback, c. 2009, $19.99

[Paraclete Press] Written by the Dom Daniel Saulinier, professor of
Gregorian Chant at the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music in Rome,
Gregorian Chant offers a detailed tutorial in the history and liturgy
of Gregorian chant for musicians and musicologists, clergy and
liturgists, passionate participants, and others who are interested in
the revival of chant in the church, today.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org