From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] PAKISTAN: Churches to hold day of protest August 11 / ENGLAND: Lambeth Palace bees buzz for mi

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 05:25:12 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* WORLD REPORT - PAKISTAN: Churches to hold day of protest August 11
* WORLD REPORT - ENGLAND: Lambeth Palace bees buzz for miles
* MISSION - Federal Ministries moves offices to D.C.
* DAYBOOK - August 7: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Transfiguration - A Meditation on Transforming Ourselves
and Our World

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

PAKISTAN: Churches to hold day of protest August 11

>By Anto Akkara and Martin Revis

[Ecumenical News Service, New Delhi/London] Pakistan churches have
announced a day of protest August 11 against the recent killing of
Christians in central Punjab, and threats against their members in the
Muslim-majority nation.

"We need to raise our voices now," Victor Azariah, general secretary
of the National Council of Churches in Pakistan, told Ecumenical News
International on August 6.

The Pakistan government had announced in June that August 11 would be
celebrated nationally as "minorities day." The date marks the
anniversary of a 1947 speech by the nation's founder, Muhammad Ali
Jinnah, which called for impartial government, religious freedom, rule
of law and equality for all.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_113088_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

>ENGLAND: Lambeth Palace bees buzz for miles

[Church of England] David Shreeve, the Church of England's National
Environment adviser, urged Londoners to get a get a buzz out of caring
for creation with a visit to the 12 hives at Lambeth Palace, residence
of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The bees help London grow greener by
pollinating plants and flowers across a seven-mile radius in the
capital; and each hive produces about 60 pounds of honey annually.

(Wax from one hive has even been used to make a small model of the
Archbishop of Canterbury.)

Shreeve made the visit August 5 after a call from conservation
watchdog Natural England for more city dwellers to keep bees -- he
said this must be taken seriously as bees are a declining species but
essential to the survival of plants and crops.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_113074_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

>Federal Ministries moves offices to D.C.

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] The Office of the Bishop Suffragan for
Federal Ministries is relocating to Washington, D.C. from the
Episcopal Church Center in New York.

Federal Ministries operates chaplaincies in three areas: military,
veterans' administration and federal prisons.

"D.C. is the crossroads of the federal world; [the move] puts us in a
much better position to address issues that come up in those three
worlds, as well as see our chaplains more often. Most of them get
stationed in the D.C. area periodically, or attend meetings there,"
said the Rev. Gerald J. Blackburn, director for federal chaplaincies
and executive officer to the bishop suffragan.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_113091_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On August 7, 2009, the church calendar remembers John Mason Neale,
priest (1818-1866).

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 7, 1831, F.W. (Frederic William) Farrar
was born in Bombay, India. He became successively canon of Westminster
and rector of St. Margaret's, archdeacon of Westminster and dean of
Canterbury.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Transfiguration - A Meditation on Transforming Ourselves and Our
World" from Random House, Inc., by John Dear, 237 pages, paperback, c.
2007, $11.95

[Random House, Inc.] Spiritual leader and peace activist John Dear
guides readers on the path to finding peace within, and bringing
harmony to a world torn by hatred and violence, through following in
the footsteps of Jesus.

John Dear's efforts on behalf of social justice and world peace have
won him international admiration and spurred features in the New York
Times, the Washington Post, NPR's All Things Considered, USA TODAY,
and the National Catholic Reporter. Seen by many to be the spiritual
heir to the Berrigan brothers, Dear believes that the key to the
spiritual life is not just finding inner peace, but also bringing that
peace to bear on the outside world. In his latest work, Dear uses the
Gospel account of the Transfiguration, inviting readers to shape their
lives along the story of Jesus and to continue his mission of love and
peace. These practices have sustained him through his work with the
homeless in Washington, D.C., and New York City, as a human-rights
advocate in Northern Ireland and Iraq, and on his many missions for
peace in war-torn places around the world. Dividing the lifelong
pursuit of peace into three distinct parts -- an inner journey, a
public journey, and the journey of all humanity -- he delves into the
challenges of learning to love ourselves as we are, diffusing the
hatred we feel toward others, and embracing the choice to live in
peace.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org