From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

New Director for Unity, Faith and Order announced by Anglicans

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:27:46 -0700

Appointment of new Director for Unity, Faith and Order announced

Posted On : August 14, 2009 10:25 AM | Posted By : Admin ACO
Related Categories: ACO

ACNS: http://aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2009/8/14/ACNS4645

The Secretary General, Canon Kenneth Kearon, has announced the
appointment of Canon Dr Alyson Barnett-Cowan as Director for Unity,
Faith and Order at the Anglican Communion Office. The post is a new one
in the Communion, and arose after some restructuring following the
election of Canon Gregory Cameron, formally Director of Ecumenical
Affairs and Deputy Secretary General, as Bishop of St Asaph in the
Church in Wales.

Canon Barnett-Cowan is currently Director of Faith, Worship and Ministry
of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, a post she has
held since 1995. She has wide experience of the life of the Anglican
Communion, having been a member of the Lambeth Commission on Communion
(2003-4) and of the Inter-Anglican Standing Commission on Ecumenical
Relations (2000-2008). She is currently a consultant to the
Anglican-Lutheran International Commission, and has been a member of the
Plenary Commission, Faith and Order at the World Council of Churches.

On hearing of her appointment Canon Barnett-Cowan said "It is a great
privilege to be asked to take on this job, which is complex and
demanding. I am looking forward to continuing to serve the wonderful and
complicated family that is the Anglican Communion, and the ecumenical
movement of which it is a part."

"This is a crucial and demanding post in the Anglican Communion", said
Canon Kearon, "Alyson brings a profound knowledge and experience of both
ecumenical and doctrinal issues to this role, and I look forward to
having her as a colleague." Her Primate Archbishop Fred Hiltz said "We,
in the Anglican Church of Canada, are enormously grateful for the
outstanding service Alyson has given to our Church as Director of Faith
Worship and Ministry. While we shall miss her we rejoice in her new
appointment. I am confident the Communion will be well served through
her leadership, one which is marked by integrity, passion and a deep
love for the Church".

Alyson is married to Bruce, who is also a priest, and they have three
grown children. It is expected that she will take up her post later in
the year.