From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN Editorial: We need deeds more than words after the rain

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 23:37:07 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>2998 Edition

>August 10~16, 2009

Editorial: We need deeds more than words after the storm

>Translated by Lydia Ma

Taiwan’s landscape, geography, and mountains were completely  altered after

the 921 Earthquake in 1999. The earthquake loosened the soil in  Taiwan’s

mountainous regions and mudslides have been grave concerns  whenever there

is heavy rain. There are no quick fixes to long-term environmental  degradation,

but this serious problem has been compounded by continuing  exploitation of

sandstone from rivers beds, which in turn changes the course of  rivers.

However, we believe if officials would pay more attention,  increase efforts, and

have more compassion, people would not feel as helpless as they do  whenever

>typhoon season approaches.

Typhoon Morakot unleashed the highest amount of rainfall in  Taiwanese history,

far surpassing a severe storm on August 7 almost fifty years ago,  which also

devastated Taiwan. Strong rain and winds brought by Morakot  pummeled

>southern Taiwan this time.

What is noteworthy is that 48 hours before Morakot’s  landfall, U.S. network CNN

had already warned the storm might inflict heavy losses and  damages in Asia

and warned us to do whatever necessary to be prepared and avoid  flooding.

Despite CNN’s forewarning, we still ended up with a major  disaster on our hands

>after a night of wind and rain.

In the wake of the storm, President Ma placed the blame on Central  Weather

Bureau (CWB) for inaccurate predictions, but ironically,  CWB’s inaccurate

predictions most likely saved the Ma administration. If CWB had  advised the

national government to do everything possible to guard against  severe flooding,

would Typhoon Morakot have been less devastating? Our guess is  that damages

would be just as debilitating, but the administration’s  incompetence and

unwillingness to take responsibility would be brought to the  forefront for all to see.

In times like these, we must cut to the chase and say,  “Enough rainwater to clear

out already! We need more people willing to roll up their sleeves  and get to work.

We need to see politicians with more sweat coming out of their  pores and fewer

>words coming out of their lips!”

This storm also brought out the good and loving side of Taiwanese  people and

we saw average citizens starting websites to collect donations and  provide

updates. Many private organizations also mobilized their  resources. With God’s

help, we know that we will overcome this as well.

Being a socially active church, the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan  didn’t lag

behind in relief efforts and promptly offered first aid, supplies,  and assistance

with the help of local presbyteries. PCT churches in northern  Taiwan that were not

affected by the storm took initiative by reaching out to hard-hit  churches in

southern Taiwan. Churches built on higher terrain reached out to  their neighbors

living in lower terrains of the same city who were devastated by  the storm. While

local churches mourned with those who mourned, the PCT General  Assembly

used its organizational skills to coordinate rebuilding efforts.

According to the book of Nehemiah in the Old Testament, when  Nehemiah heard

about the devastation that had taken place in Jerusalem and how  the city walls

had been torn down and the city gates burned, he did a lot of  introspection first.

Afterward, Nehemiah rose up and joined his people in rebuilding  Jerusalem’s

city walls. He gave up his position and income, endured  people’s ridicule, and

>truly identified with his people.

In the history of the PCT, we also have a hero we can look up to  and emulate. Dr.

William Sia once wrote in his diary, “If I delay a minute to  tend to patients, it’d be

that extra minute those patients will have to suffer.” Though  Sia passed away

more than thirty years ago, his life clearly reflected  Christ’s love and mercy.

In moments like these, let us get wholly involved with relief  efforts and show love

and compassion toward our neighbors. Let us also continue to keep  them in our

prayers and ask God to have mercy on us, forgive us of our  ignorance and

failings in taking care of the environment, and help typhoon  victims in their

>suffering.

Now that the rain has stopped, let’s shut up and get to work!

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the  reporter and writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English) http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)