From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Opens with Worship

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 21:18:30 -0500

>Title: ELCA Assembly Opens with Worship
>ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>August 17, 2009

>ELCA Assembly Opens with Worship
>09-CWA-02-MRC

MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) -- With jubilant and reflective song, heads
bowed in prayer and expressions of peace and joy, more than 2,300
Lutherans opened the 2009 Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) with worship Aug. 17.
	The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 17-23 at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
About 2,000 people are participating, including 1,045 ELCA voting
members. The theme for the biennial assembly is "God's work. Our hands."
	As assembly proceedings begin, it's important that fears are
recognized and named, said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding
bishop. Hanson served as presiding minister and preacher in worship.
	"It is important to recognize what fear and anxiety can do to
us," he said. "Fear nurtures the suspicion and cynicism that lead us to
act in ways that are downright mean-spirited and anti-neighborly. Fear
can drive us to make demands of others for our own security rather than
faith freeing us to serve others with confidence and humility."
	But there is more to the story than fear in this assembly, Hanson
said. "We will tell the story of Jesus Christ who is present in this
assembly," he said.  "This is the story that is waiting to be told about
us."
	"Christ is the source of our joy" and "the source of our peace"
in a world without peace, Hanson said.  "And into that world Christ sends
you and me and all gathered for this assembly," he said.
	"The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America is a sent church,"
sent to "share the good news and remember the poor," Hanson said.
	Carlos E. Peña, ELCA vice president, served as assisting
minister.  Christina Jackson-Skelton, ELCA treasurer, and David D.
Swartling, ELCA secretary, read Scripture.
	The Minneapolis-based National Lutheran Choir, a group of
graduates from ELCA colleges and universities in Minnesota, served as the
choir.
	Offering taken at worship for the week will be divided equally
among the ELCA World Hunger Appeal, the HIV and AIDS strategy, and Fund
for Leaders.
	The altar is adorned by the work of Chinese Christian artist He
Qi. There are eight prayer areas located around the perimeter of the
worship space that voting members and other participants can use for
prayer, foot washing and anointing. Art in these areas are from the ELCA
collection and represent a diverse range of Christian art from around the
world.
	Vessels used in Holy Communion are hand-made of natural and
recycled material by local artisans of fair-trade companies.

>---

Information about the 2009 ELCA Churchwide Assembly can be found
at http://www.elca.org/assembly on the Web.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog