From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] LOS ANGELES: Holy Nativity reaches out to community through fruit harvest

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 06:05:35 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - LOS ANGELES: Holy Nativity reaches out to
community through fruit harvest
* PEOPLE - Civil rights pioneer Margaret Bush Wilson remembered
* ARTS - FILM: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - August 23 - Twelfth Sunday After Pentecost,
Proper 16 - Year B
* DAYBOOK - August 20: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Ubuntu Tote Bags

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

LOS ANGELES: Holy Nativity reaches out to community through fruit  harvest

>By Lynette Wilson

[Episcopal News Service] Driving to and from Holy Nativity Episcopal
Church's community garden in the Westchester neighborhood of Los
Angeles, volunteers noticed backyard trees producing more fruit than
one household could consume. A light went on and Harvest Westchester
was born.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_113418_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Civil rights pioneer Margaret Bush Wilson remembered

>By ENS Staff

[Episcopal News Service] Attorney Margaret Bush Wilson, a former NAACP
director and a trustee of the historically black St. Augustine's
College founded by Episcopal clergy, was remembered as a courageous
civil rights pioneer at an August 18 memorial service at All Saints
Episcopal Church in St. Louis.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_113402_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>ARTS

>FILM: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

>An intriguing film despite the truncated plot

>By Martha Baker

>[Episcopal News Service]

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Michael Gambon
Director: David Yates
Running time: 2:33
Classification: PG (scary images, violence)

Although Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, the book, pivoted on
horcruxes, "HP6," the movie, seems to be more about unrequited love --
at least in screen time spent on snogging.

Full review: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_113400_ENG_HTM.htm

More Arts: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81827_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

August 23 - Twelfth Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 16 - Year B

1 Kings 8: (1, 6, 10-11) 22-30, 41-43 and Psalm 84 (Alternate: Joshua
24:1-20, 14-18 and Psalm 34: 15-29); Ephesians 6:10-20; John 6:56-69

>By Katerina Whitley

During Pentecost of Year B of the Lectionary, we have been studying
the Gospel of Mark. However, for the past four Sundays we have
digressed in order to delve into the sixth chapter of the Gospel of
John. Today, on the fifth Sunday of trying to absorb the signs and
words of Jesus, we conclude this remarkable study on the meaning of
Bread, at once corporeal, spiritual, and metaphorical.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_112990_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On August 20, 2009, the church remembers Bernard, Abbot of Clairvaux
(1090-1153)

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On August 20, 1965, civil rights worker Jonathan
Myrick Daniels, a white Episcopal seminarian from New Hampshire, was
shot and killed in Alabama.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Ubuntu Tote Bags" from Siempre Sol, black and creme canvas,
multi-compartmental, $20

[Episcopal Books and Resources] Ubuntu - I in You and You in Me

Next time you hit the farmer's market, grab this beautiful Ubuntu tote
to carry your goods home with!  This sturdy, elegantly designed canvas
bag can be used for your commute, in the car, at the supermarket, or
anywhere a plastic bag can be substituted!

These bags were made through Siempre Sol, an organization providing
jobs at fair wages in a safe, supportive workplace for HIV/AIDS
positive Hondurans.  Proceeds fund medical treatment and social
programs and Siempre Unidos clinics.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544.