From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN: A Pastoral Letter of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan On Typhoon Morakot Flooding

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 05:56:01 -0700

>      Taiwan Church News

>2999 Edition

>August 17~23, 2009

A Pastoral Letter of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan On  Typhoon Morakot Flooding

>Provided by PCT General Assembly

On August 7th, 2009, Typhoon Morakot slammed into Taiwan and  caused severe damage to property and human life. The

destructive force of this typhoon on humans, properties, and  environment far exceeded that of “921 Earthquake” ten years  ago

and the area affected is much bigger than the earthquake.  Many people lost their loved ones, homes, and livelihoods instantly.

Many have gone without food, water and shelter for days. We  feel their loss and suffering.

“If one part of the body suffers, all the other parts  suffer with it.” (1 Corinthians 12:26) As our country is  experiencing the most

serious flooding in fifty years, the Presbyterian Church in  Taiwan, adhering to the faith and tradition of identifying with this  land

and its inhabitants and the experience of helping the  restoration endeavor in the aftermath of “921 Earthquake,” the  Church and

Society Committee and the presbyteries and districts nearby,  began providing relief and help to the afflicted areas immediately

after the typhoon struck. Later on, the Morakot Assisting  and Restoring Action Committee was established at the General

Assembly level to take charge of the distribution of daily  necessities and the assignment of volunteers. We appeal to all the

members of the PCT, based on the faith of belonging to the  Body of Jesus Christ, to participate in the ministry of relief and

restoration with prayer, giving and volunteer services to  bring hope and peace for the people in the afflicted areas.

“Being stewards of the earth,” is what God  commissioned to the whole humankind. Yet in the last thirty years or so,  the improper

emphasis on economic development, and the national land  planning policy, as well as the arrogance of believing in the power of

technology, have created a serious ecological crisis in  Taiwan. Therefore, we appeal to the government and people in Taiwan

to repent and renounce the idea that we are in control of  “ecological balance,” that we are forever in charge of the  earth. Instead,

we should be humble and learn from the whole creation, and  be mindful of the renewal and redemption of human viability that

nature offers. The earth is our mother, given by God. Only  when we learn to treat God’s creation with humility and respect,  can

we and our children avoid the counterattack of nature and  reside peacefully and comfortably on this God-given beautiful island  –

>Taiwan.

The Lord is merciful and will not reject us forever. He may  bring us sorrow, but his love for us is sure and strong.

>(Lamentations 3:31-32)

>The Rev. Leonard Tsung-jeng Lin,

>Moderator of the 54th General Assembly

>The Rev. Andrew T. C. Chang,

>General Secretary

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the  reporter and writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English) http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)