From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

TCN: PCT sets up stations to help displaced typhoon victims

From "Taiwan Church News" <enews@pctpress.org>
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2009 02:18:04 -0700

>Taiwan Church News

>2999 Edition

>August 17~23, 2009

PCT sets up stations to help displaced typhoon victims

>Reported by staff

>Written by Lydia Ma

Typhoon Morakot devastated eastern and southern Taiwan during  Father’s Day

weekend, prompting the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) to set  up 9

rescue-and-rebuild stations immediately to help thousands of  victims who

became homeless overnight after the typhoon struck their village.

PCT relocated typhoon victims to 16 churches across the country  and efforts are

still underway. Pastors involved in helping and relocating victims  said once clean

up efforts conclude, they will enter a new phase focused on  counseling and

mending the hearts of victims. This phase will emphasize  psychological services,

character education, kids’ after-school programs, etc. PCT  hopes that when the

time comes, church members who are experts in the field of  medicine and

>psychology can volunteer to help victims.

>Taimali station

Taimali rescue-and-rebuild station received material resources  donated by

Taipei churches and with the help of two sisters from Taipei and  Taichung and

the coordination of Rev. Liu Shih-chun, these resources were  delivered to

disaster areas. With assistance from volunteers from East Amis,  East Paiwan,

and other eastern presbyteries, these resources were sent to  Taimali. Christians

living in Taimali then delivered resources to residents living in  aboriginal

reserves deep in the forest who were still stranded and  unreachable.

In the evening of August 14th, pastors and relief workers from  Christian

organizations worked together to evacuate residents from Jialan,  Taimali, and

Chinfeng because it was believed that the barrier lake upstream on  the Taimali

>River was about to burst.

>Pingtung station

Volunteers in Pingtung station focused on cleaning up the  environment and local

churches devastated by the storm included Chiatung, Kanting,  Tungkang,

Linpien, and more. Since the station opened on August 10th,  volunteers from

Taipei campus ministries, Kaohsiung campus ministries, Taichung  presbytery,

Tainan Theological College and Seminary, Taiwan Theological  College and

Seminary, and volunteers from other church denominations have  joined clean-up

>efforts.

According to Pingtung Church and Society Committee leader Rev.  Hong Ruei-

lang, there are enough material resources for now but the station  lacks cleaning

appliances. It also needs long-term volunteers who have their own  mode of

transportation and lodging arrangements while volunteering.

Hong pointed out that once most areas have been cleaned up, the  station will

focus on rebuilding the hearts of victims and he hopes to enlist  the help of

professionals to counsel victims and share the gospel with them.  Hong believes

this crisis is a good opportunity to introduce people to Christ.

>South Bunun station

The most damaged regions in Kaohsiung County belong to Bunun  Presbytery

and church members in the area have been evacuated and relocated  to churches

across Kaohsiung and Shou-Shan presbyteries. Central Bunun  Presbytery

Moderator Biaz-takechunang has already visited these churches to  reach out to

>victims of the typhoon and encourage them.

According to reports, some Christian victims were placed in  Buddhist

organizations when government agencies rescued them from their  homes and

they haven’t been able to get used to the food and atmosphere  in Buddhist relief

stations. Hence, presbytery leaders are contacting government  agencies to help

these people relocate to Christian churches where they can feel  more at home,

recuperate from trauma, and resume church life.

>Chishan station

A Christian memorial service for those who had died in the typhoon  was

conducted on August 14th at Chishan hospital and many pastors met  at Chishan

station afterward to discuss the best way to coordinate relief  efforts, organize

resources, relocate victims, and cooperate with public agencies.

According to Kaohsiung Presbytery Moderator Hsia Wen-Hsueh,  financial

donations from churches will primarily be channeled to help  churches

transformed into shelters for flood victims. As the start of the  school year is also

approaching, Hsia urged Christians to contribute financially  toward paying the

tuition fees of children displaced by the typhoon. He also said  the next phase of

rebuilding efforts will focus on psychological rehabilitation,  character education

classes, and after-school programs and urged churches to help  recruit volunteers

and contribute teaching materials. He also welcomed volunteers to  travel to

churches housing victims to lead them in some activities.

>Rukai Station

Aborigines from mountainous areas near Pingtung County were  relocated to

elementary schools in Neipu and Sandimen. According to reports,  residents from

8 reserves have been relocated. Though there are enough material  resources,

there aren’t enough volunteers from churches. Though college  students and

Buddhist Tzu Chi organization volunteers have already helped  victims resettle,

these volunteers haven’t been able to speak to the hearts of  victims and the

station needs Christians to volunteer and comfort victims.

Many aboriginal villages in the area have been utterly destroyed  by the typhoon

and mudslides and the few that remain are in danger of being wiped  out by heavy

rain. Therefore, it is unpredictable whether victims will ever be  able to return

home and financial support is urgently needed to help resettle  families so that

>they can begin a new chapter in their lives.

>Alishan station

A station was set up in the offices of Chiayi Presbytery and help  has been

directed mostly toward Tsou aborigines living in Alishan mountain  who were

>relocated there.

Church members in Chiayi area reported flooding in their houses  and local

churches have already gone out to help their own members clear out  mud and

>water from their homes.

Because of broken roads, Chiayi Presbytery enlisted the help of  youth from

Atayal Presbytery to help deliver material resources worth  $500,000 NTD to

Shanmei Church and more aid will be delivered in time. About 200  volunteers

have been recruited to help daily rescue and relief efforts and  organizers are still

looking for places that can house victims who are now being  airlifted out of

>devastated areas.

>Nantou station

According to pastors at Nantou station, many roads in the area  have been

washed away so the only way to send material resources to help  victims is to

drop packages from the air. Wounded victims have also been rushed  to

>hospitals.

Central Bunun Presbytery has sent out workers to every village to  survey

damages. Nearby presbyteries and Catholic churches have  contributed material

resources and Central Bunun presbytery has been busy collecting  and

>redistributing these items.

>Tainan station

Volunteers in Tainan station have focused on repairing damages and  cleaning

up after water receded in Tainan area. Tainan Presbytery decided  to assist

church members by giving out $5,000 NTD to every family with a  house flooded

by more than 60 cm of water. Pastors may receive up to $10,000 NTD  if their

house was flooded by more than 60 cm of water.

>Paiwan station

Paiwan Presbytery had to deal with two regions severely damaged by  Typhoon

Morakot – aboriginal reserves in Sandimen area and those in  Taoyuan

Township. Of these two areas, damages in Taoyuan Township were  worse.

Lions Clubs International received word of the devastation in  Pingtung area and

sent volunteers to help and also donated $2,100,000 NTD to Paiwan  Presbytery.

It also donated material resources and equipment to help victims.  Because of the

Ma administration’s slow response, the club has come to  distrust government

agencies and has promised to offer financial aid directly to  aboriginal churches

instead to help rebuild reserves devastated by the typhoon.

According to pastors volunteering in the area, victims have been  living in

classrooms and chapels, but such an environment is a far cry from  a real home.

Professional counselors are needed to help victims cope and heal  emotionally

>before they find their new homes.

Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local  languages.

You may translate and re-use our articles online only if you  acknowledge the source as "Taiwan Church News" and list the names of the  reporter and writer.

Contact us before reprinting any of our articles for print  publications.

Direct comments and questions about this article to:  enews@pctpress.org

Visit our website for more news at: http://enews.pctpress.org/  (English) http://www.pctpress.org (Chinese)