From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Synod Bishops, Voting Members Respond to Assembly Actions

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:15:07 -0500

Title: ELCA Synod Bishops, Voting Members Respond to Assembly Actions
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>August 28, 2009

ELCA Synod Bishops, Voting Members Respond to Assembly Actions
09-190-CD*

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Most of the 65 synodical bishops of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) want leaders, congregations
and pastors to stay in conversation following the adoption of a social
statement on human sexuality and the opening of the ELCA's ministry to
people in committed same-gender relationships.

Many bishops wrote to their respective synods following the 2009
ELCA Churchwide Assembly.  Some letters are posted on synod Web sites.

"It will be good for all our leaders and members to take a bit of a
breath over this," wrote the Rev. James A. Justman, bishop of the ELCA
East Central Wisconsin Synod.

The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, met Aug. 17-23 at the Minneapolis Convention Center.  About 2,300
people participated, including 1,045 ELCA voting members.  The theme for
the biennial assembly was "God's work. Our hands."

During the assembly voting members decided the that ELCA
will "commit itself to finding a way for people in such publicly
accountable, lifelong, monogamous, same-gender relationships to serve as
rostered leaders of this church," according to a resolution that passed
559-451.

"I cannot envision there will ever be a time when nearly 5 million
Lutherans will be of one mind on every matter," wrote the Rev. Michael A.
Last, bishop of the Western Iowa synod.

Many of the bishops said it was important for those who favor and
those who oppose the change to ministry policies to stay in conversation
with one another.

"This vote means that many in our church will be bitterly
disappointed and angry," wrote the Rev. Craig E. Johnson, bishop of the
ELCA Minneapolis Area Synod.  "Let us strive to live together as the Holy
Scripture calls us to live together amid our disagreements."

Most bishops also lifted up voting members for the way they handled
the issue and each other.

"However you feel about these decisions, you should be proud of the
transparency, integrity, care and prayerful nature of the process we used
to make them," wrote the Rev. David H. Brauer-Rieke, bishop of the ELCA
Oregon synod.  "This in and of itself is an amazing witness."

Bishops also stressed that congregations will not be forced to
accept pastors against their wishes.

"The actions of the assembly create options and opportunities --
they do not demand change on a congregational level," said the Rev. Wayne
N. Miller, bishop of the ELCA Metropolitan Chicago Synod.  "Nothing in
these decisions requires any congregation to change its current practice
or even its current teaching about human sexuality."

At least two bishops revealed their voting record to their synods --
the Rev. Claire S. Burkat, bishop of the ELCA Southeastern Pennsylvania
Synod and the Rev. Thomas A. Skrenes, bishop of the ELCA Northern Great
Lakes Synod.  Burkat supported the resolution, Skrenes did not.

Burkat and Skrenes committed to continuing conversation with members
of the ELCA who do not agree with them.

"I voted against all of these proposals because I believe the
theological and biblical case for change was not made," Skrenes wrote in
his letter. "My renewed pledge to you is to be honest, fair and pastoral
as we enter the future."

Burkat wrote that she supported the change and stressed that no
congregation will be forced to call a pastor against its will.

"My prayer is for us to move forward with love and respect for one
another," Burkat wrote.

The Rev. David L. deFreese, bishop of the ELCA Nebraska Synod, wrote
that he is "uncertain" about the actions of the assembly.

"I am uncertain of the rightness of this current decision," deFreese
wrote, "but  I trust that God's Holy Spirit will correct where we are
wrong, encourage where we are right and act if we are somewhere in
between."

Voting members of the ELCA Southwestern Minnesota Synod sent out a
letter saying that members should not divide the church into an "us and
them" circumstance.

"We encourage you to go to God's Word, deepen your faith, seek to
understand the other and listen to what the Spirit is saying to you
through these decisions," the letter said.

* Carrie L. Draeger is a senior communication major with a concentration
in journalism at Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, Wash. This summer
she is an intern with the ELCA News Service.

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog