From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] FORT WORTH: Breakaway bishop seeks challenge to authority of Episcopal bishop, others / LOUISI

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 3 Sep 2009 04:52:58 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* DIOCESAN DIGEST - Fort Worth: breakaway bishop seeks challenge to
authority of Episcopal bishop, others
* DIOCESAN DIGEST - LOUISIANA: Day of Service brings Episcopalians  together
* WORLD REPORT - KENYA: 'Fidelity' is key to stopping HIV spread, vice
president tells Anglican leaders
* WORLD REPORT - World church body urges Pakistan to repeal blasphemy  law
* WORLD REPORT - World church grouping urges freeze on Israeli  settlements
* MISSION - Dorcas House links San Diego churches, Tijuana foster  children
* PEOPLE - Episcopal Public Policy Network remembers Senator Edward  Kennedy
* CALENDAR - Upcoming special events and services
* SPIRITUAL REFLECTION - September 6 - Fourteenth Sunday After
Pentecost, Proper 18 - Year B
* DAYBOOK - September 3: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Mailbox Ministry - Greeting Cards that Share the Faith

>_____________________

>DIOCESAN DIGEST

FORT WORTH: Breakaway bishop seeks challenge to authority of Episcopal
bishop, others

>September 9 hearing set in breakaway dispute

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal News Service] Attorneys for Jack Iker have asked a Texas
court for permission to challenge the authority of Provisional Bishop
Ted Gulick Jr. and the standing committee of the Episcopal Diocese of
Fort Worth.

Iker, who left The Episcopal Church in 2008 but refused to relinquish
church property or assets, is responding to a pending lawsuit filed by
The Episcopal Church and the continuing Diocese of Fort Worth in April
to establish the authority of the new diocesan leadership and to
recover diocesan assets, according to chancellor Kathleen Wells.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_114314_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

LOUISIANA: Day of Service brings Episcopalians together

>By Carrie Crockett

[Diocese of Louisiana] People came from all over the country to help
rebuild New Orleans homes in commemoration of the fourth anniversary
of Hurricane Katrina's fury.

>From his home of Ann Arbor, Michigan, Larry Vandenbergen read an
announcement in the weekly Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana newsletter
(the e-DOLA), to which he subscribes, about an upcoming day of service
scheduled by the Diocese of Louisiana to commemorate the four-year
anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_114312_ENG_HTM.htm

More Diocesan news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81803_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>WORLD REPORT

KENYA: 'Fidelity' is key to stopping HIV spread, vice president tells
Anglican leaders

>By Fredrick Nzwili

[Ecumenical News International, Nairobi] Kenya's vice president has
told leaders of Africa's Anglican churches that fidelity holds the key
to halting the spread of the HIV virus on the continent.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_114301_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

World church body urges Pakistan to repeal blasphemy law

>By Peter Kenny

[Episcopal News Service] The main governing body of the World Council
of Churches has called on the government of Pakistan to repeal the
section of the country's penal code which carries a mandatory death
penalty for anyone found guilty of blasphemy.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_114299_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

World church grouping urges freeze on Israeli settlements

>By Jerry L. Van Marter

[Ecumenical News International, Geneva] The World Council of Churches
has called upon the Israeli government to "implement an open-ended
freeze" on all settlement construction and expansion in the West Bank
and East Jerusalem "in preparation for negotiating peace in good
faith" in the region.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_114300_ENG_HTM.htm

More World news: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81808_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>MISSION

Dorcas House links San Diego churches, Tijuana foster children

>By Pat McCaughan

[Episcopal Life] It was a first introduction to most of the San Diego
visitors, but Fernanda, Carlita, Alejandro, Cristian and a dozen other
children from Dorcas House in Tijuana, Mexico, swarmed them seconds
inside the gate, all smiles, hugging legs, shouting greetings,
bouncing up and down, spontaneously pulling them into a joyous
Ring-around-the-Rosie. Dorcas House is home to about 40 preschool
through high school children.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_114241_ENG_HTM.htm

More Mission: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81799_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>PEOPLE

Episcopal Public Policy Network remembers Senator Edward Kennedy

[Episcopal News Service] The Episcopal Church's Office of Government
Relations and the Episcopal Public Policy Network (EPPN) have "joined
millions of other Americans in mourning the passing of Senator Edward
Kennedy of Massachusetts," a September 1 alert from the Washington,
D.C.-based office said.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_114290_ENG_HTM.htm

More People: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81831_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>CALENDAR

A round-up of upcoming special events, services, concerts and diocesan
conventions taking place throughout the Episcopal Church is available
at http://www.episcopalchurch.org/calendar.htm

>_____________________

>SPIRITUAL REFLECTIONS

September 6 - Fourteenth Sunday After Pentecost, Proper 18 - Year B

(RCL) Proverbs 22:1-2, 8-9, 22-23 and Psalm 125 (Track 2: Isaiah
35:4-7a and Psalm 146); James 2:1-10, (11-13), 14-17; Mark 7:24-37

>By the Rev. Dr. J. Barrington Bates

[Sermons That Work] In today's gospel, we hear that Jesus went about
the countryside hoping to escape notice. And here and there he stops
in a village or at a house. And as it appears, he stops not so much by
deliberate intent, but by happenstance.

Full reflection:

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/sermons_that_work_114124_ENG_HTM.htm

More Spiritual Reflections:  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

>On September 3, 2009...

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On September 3, 1658, Oliver Cromwell, leader of
the Puritan Revolution, died.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Mailbox Ministry - Greeting Cards that Share the Faith" from Church
Publishing, Inc., by Sue Banker, 115 pages, hardcover, c. 2009, $28

[Church Publishing, Inc.] Mailbox Ministry provides all the tools for
religious card-making: projects, patterns, step-by-step instructions,
and inspirational messages (including biblical verses, poems, and
inspirational phrases) for all occasions and audiences, adults as well
as children. It includes stories and tips for starting up and
maintaining a parish card ministry.
The book combines inspirational stories with hands-on strategies,
ideas, and how-to's. There are a variety of card designs from simple
to more elaborate, for crafters of all abilities and ages.

More than 50 separate greeting cards are fully illustrated in color
and photographs throughout the book. Also included are complete
materials lists, card-making tips, mailing guidelines, and a glossary.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit
your local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org