From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ELD] House of Deputies president calls for attention to church's governance / Quiet Gardens offer r

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:41:00 -0400

Episcopal Life Online is available at  http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife.

>Today's Episcopal Life Daily includes:

* TOP STORY - House of Deputies president calls for attention to  church's
governance
* TOP STORY - Quiet Gardens offer reflective space, tranquility
* MULTIMEDIA - Image Gallery: Quiet Gardens offer reflective space,
tranquility
* OPINION - Letters: Episcopal Life Monthly September 2009
* DAYBOOK - September 16: Today in Scripture, Prayer, History
* CATALYST - Psalms - A Spiritual Commentary

>_____________________

>TOP STORIES

House of Deputies president calls for attention to church's governance

>By Mary Frances Schjonberg

[Episcopal News Service] Bonnie Anderson, president of the House of
Deputies, plans to appoint a committee on church governance and polity  "to
examine and explain the history, theology, political structure and  practical
realities of the ways in which we believe God calls us to govern the
[Episcopal] Church."

In a September 14 letter to General Convention deputies and first
alternative deputies, Anderson said that after the July 8-17 General
Convention meeting "it makes little sense to speak of governance and  mission
as two different things."

"Our church is able to enlist the energy and talent of every member in
building God's kingdom precisely because we make room for the  Spirit-seeking
wisdom of all orders of ministry in the governance of our church," she  said.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_114725_ENG_HTM.htm

>- - - - -

Quiet Gardens offer reflective space, tranquility

>By Phina Borgeson

[Episcopal News Service] A Quiet Garden is both place and program. These
tranquil spots for solitary refreshment offer opportunities for learning  and
praying in community.

Located at churches, private homes and retreat centers, each Quiet  Garden
reflects local needs, culture and climate. Some are tucked into city
courtyards and vacant lots; a few command great vistas; and others are  part
of permacultures, productive landscapes modeled on natural ecological
systems, such as at the Community of the Holy Spirit's Bluestone Farm in
Brewster, New York.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_114719_ENG_HTM.htm

More Top Stories: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/elife

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81991_114706_ENG_HTM.htm

More Multimedia: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80056_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>OPINION

Letters: Episcopal Life Monthly September 2009

[Episcopal Life] Letters that appeared in the September 2009 edition of
Episcopal Life Monthly are available at
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/81840_114726_ENG_HTM.htm.

Episcopal Life welcomes letters, especially those with pictures, and  will
give preference to those in response to stories. Letters should be no  longer
than 250 words and must include the writer's name, address and phone  number
for verification. Send to Letters, Episcopal Life, 815 Second Ave., New
York, NY 10017; or email to letters@episcopal-life.org. All letters will  be
edited for brevity and clarity.

More Opinion: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/80050_ENG_HTM.htm

>_____________________

>DAYBOOK

On September 16, 2009, the church remembers Ninian, bishop in Galloway.

* Today in Scripture: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/82457_ENG_HTM.htm

* Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm

* Today in History: On September 16, 1906, JB (John Bertram) Phillips,
Anglican priest and translator of the New Testament in Modern English,  was
born. On September 16, 1976, the 65th General Convention of the  Episcopal
Church officially approved the ordination of women. This action allowed  the
official recognition of 15 women previously ordained in Philadelphia and
Washington.

>_____________________

>CATALYST

"Psalms - A Spiritual Commentary" from Skylight Paths Publishing, by M.
Basil Pennington, OCSO, illustrations by Phillip Ratner, 149 pages,
paperback, c. 2006, 2008, $16.99

[Skylight Paths Publishing] Showing how the Psalms give profound and  candid
expression to both our highest aspirations and our deepest pain, the  late,
highly respected Cistercian Abbot M. Basil Pennington shares his  reflections
on some of the most beloved passages from the Bible's most widely read  book.
Pennington is once again joined by Jewish artist Phillip Ratner, whose
evocative works will lead you into more meaningful contemplation of the
inner spirit of the Psalms.

Pennington describes how the monastic tradition of regular reflection on  the
Psalms -- a technique St. Benedict called the "work of God," or Opus Dei  --
can help you transform your everyday life into a powerful life of  prayer.
Enriched by Jewish and Christian faith, the drawings and meditations  speak
to every person wanting both to connect with their most human longings  and
to forge a vital connection with the Divine.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at
http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800-903-5544 -- or visit your
local Episcopal bookseller, http://www.episcopalbooksellers.org