From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

African Leadership Consultation on HIV/AIDS and Related MDGs

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:10:10 -0700

African Leadership Consultation on HIV/AIDS and Related MDGs

Posted On : September 23, 2009 11:15 AM | Posted By : Webmaster
ACNS: http://www.aco.org/acns/news.cfm/2009/9/23/ACNS4655
Related Categories: Africa

Joint Communiqué

We, former African Heads of State, religious leaders and
non-governmental organisations engaged in combating HIV and AIDS,
convening in Nairobi, Kenya, under the auspices of the Council of
Anglican Provinces of Africa (CAPA), have engaged in a consultative
dialogue on HIV and AIDS in Africa in the context of the Millennium
Development Goals (MDGs).

The purpose of this dialogue is to develop a Network of African Leaders
Against HIV and AIDS, committed to providing necessary leadership to
develop a dedicated long-term advocacy drive to mobilise an effective
response to HIV and AIDS and to encourage active citizens as agents of
change in Africa.

We are committed to collective responsibility to address HIV and AIDS as
the greatest development challenge in Africa, a continent carrying 25
percent of the global disease burden of HIV and AIDS, yet forming only
10 percent of the world's population.

We declare this to be a historic moment, in which political and
religious leaders will work together with renewed commitment to overcome
the HIV pandemic and reverse the current situation.

Recalling the 2001 Abuja Declaration on Health, through the stewardship
of religious institutions and political leaders, we commit to overcoming
all forms of inequality and taking decisive leadership in advocating for
the achievement of HIV and AIDS related MDGs by 2015, through the
following actions:

1.	We shall intensify our focus on mobilising our communities to
overcome the consequences of stigma, lack of awareness and knowledge,
and shall increase care and support for people infected and affected by
HIV and AIDS, including vulnerable children.

2.	We shall mobilise health professionals and community health
workers to develop long-term strategies for community-based initiatives
against HIV and AIDS.

3.	As a Pan African initiative of religious and political leaders,
eminent persons and civil society, we shall mobilise partnerships with
local and international stakeholders so as to engage in effective and
sustainable interventions.

4.	We shall provide space for dialogue between leaders and
vulnerable people, including youth and people living with HIV and AIDS,
so as to learn from each other and devise new solutions to address the
challenges of HIV and AIDS on the continent.
5.	Given the fact that all causes of conflicts in Africa cannot
equal the tragedy of HIV and AIDS, we request that our governments
declare a war on the HIV pandemic and proactively mobilise a powerful
response.

6.	We demand that as a matter of urgency, our governments translate
policies into action by allocating at least 15 percent of their national
budgets to health, including programmes to ensure universal access to
prevention and treatment for HIV and AIDS by 2010.

7.	We call upon our governments and civil society to be resilient,
to develop strong capacity to overcome the challenges of the HIV
pandemic, and to identify opportunities for achieving HIV and AIDS
related MDG targets.

8.	Given that HIV and AIDS is not only a health and moral problem,
we hereby resolve to address the vulnerability of African men and women
using all available cultural resources.

9.	We shall facilitate the strengthening of families and social
structures to withstand the impact of the HIV pandemic, by working with
governments, the international community, other stakeholders and civil
society.

10.	We affirm the role of religious, political and cultural
institutions in encouraging young and vulnerable people to take charge
of their sexual and reproductive health.

11.	We shall listen and dialogue with our communities, particularly
those vulnerable to HIV and AIDS, and commit ourselves to speaking
openly about the pandemic.

12.	We resolve not to lose this opportunity to bridge the gap
between medical and spiritual approaches to the pandemic.

We hereby conclude that we shall hold each other accountable to these
commitments. We shall do everything within our means and power to end
stigma, denial and discrimination related to HIV and AIDS, to ensure our
people live in safety and health, and to assist in achieving the MDGs
through an inter-faith approach. We are committed to enabling the people
of Africa to live lives of dignity.

H.E. Hon. Dr. Stephen Kalonzo Musyoka, Vice President of Kenya
Hon. Dr. Salim Ahmed Salim, Former Prime Minister of Tanzania and Former
Secretary-General of the Organisation for African Unity
H.E. Mr. Azarias Ruberwa, Former Vice President of the Democratic
Republic of Congo
H.E. Mr Ali Hassan Mwinyi, Former President of Tanzania
Archbishop Ian Arnest, Indian Ocean
Archbishop Emmanuel Kolini, Rwanda
Archbishop Nicholas Okoh, Nigeria
Archbishop Henri  Isingoma, Democratic Republic of Congo
Archbishop Valentino Mokiwa, Tanzania
Bishop Paul Yugusuk, Sudan
Bishop John Nduwayo, Burundi
Bishop Samuel S. Kaziimba, Uganda
Bishop Dr. Jo Seoka, South Africa
Bishop John Otoo, West Africa
Archbishop Eliud Wabukala, Kenya
Bishop Francis Loyo, Sudan
Archbishop Emeritus Benjamin Nzimbi, Kenya
Rachel Carnegie, United Kingdom
Archbishop Mweresa Kivuli II, OAIC
Rev. Canon Dr. Akiri Mwita, Tanzania
Rev. Canon Gideon Byamugisha
Prof. Rev. Joseph Galgalo, Kenya
Rev. Canon Naomi Waqo, Kenya
Rev. Pauline Wanjiru, EHAIA
Canon Grace Kaiso, Kenya
Prof. Miriam Were, Kenya
Katherine Lay, Oxfam GB
Rajiv Dua, Oxfam GB
Kavengo  Matundu, UN Millennium Campaign
Sylvia Mwichuli, UN Millennium Campaign
Peter Okaalet, MAP International
John Muhoho, Kenya
Jane Ng'ang'a, KENERELA