From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Former ELCA Presiding Bishop Calls for 'Churchmanship'

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:13:01 -0500

Title: Former ELCA Presiding Bishop Calls for 'Churchmanship'
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

>September 24, 2009

Former ELCA Presiding Bishop Calls for 'Churchmanship'
09-208-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- What now lies before the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) is not human sexuality but "churchmanship,"
according to the Rev. Herbert W. Chilstrom. He served two terms as the
first presiding bishop of the ELCA beginning in 1987.

Although the word "churchmanship" lacks inclusiveness, after "years
of searching for a better one, 'churchmanship' still seems best,"
Chilstrom wrote in a Sept. 21 e-mail message to colleagues, called "The
Real 'CORE' Issue -- Churchmanship."

Chilstrom wrote the message in anticipation of a Sept. 25-26 meeting
of the Lutheran Coalition for Reform (CORE) -- an organization of ELCA
pastors, lay people, congregations and reform groups. Leaders and members
of CORE are planning to discuss their response to actions taken by the
2009 ELCA Churchwide Assembly in August. CORE ended its status as an
independent organization affiliated with the ELCA during the assembly.

The assembly approved "Human Sexuality: Gift and Trust" -- the
denomination's 10th social statement. The statement addresses a spectrum
of topics relevant to human sexuality from a Lutheran perspective. The
assembly also approved a series of proposals to change ministry policies,
including a policy to allow Lutherans in lifelong, publicly accountable,
monogamous, same-gender relationships to serve as ELCA associates in
ministry, clergy, deaconesses and diaconal ministers.

relate to the ELCA, Chilstrom said the consequences of such action "would
be corporate, personal and immediate. We would see the mission of the
ELCA in this country and around the globe hobbled and maimed."

For years many Lutherans had hoped for the kinds of change that came
at the assembly, Chilstrom wrote. "During all that time we never tried to
organize another church body or some kind of independent entity within
the ELCA," he said. "We never withdrew or reduced our support for the
mission of the church. We never changed our wills or estate plans to
cripple the seminaries, global missions, or other ministries of the
church."

Chilstrom said he and many others are committed to respecting
the "conscience bound" convictions of "those who believe we must continue
to deny full rights to gay and lesbian persons who live by the same high
standards we expect of straight Christians. This is part of our
churchmanship -- part of my personal churchmanship," he said.

Lutherans have differences that do not separate them "at the heart
of the gospel," Chilstrom wrote. He cited differences in areas like
health care, the war in the Middle East and the historic episcopate --
a line of bishops extending back to the early church. "Why is human
sexuality a more church-dividing issue for some than any of these other
equally complex questions?" he asked.

Chilstrom advised that, at the very least, concerned Lutherans "need
to try to slow it down" until the ELCA has had a chance "to take a deep
breath and live into its future with common love and respect for each
other."

He ended his statement by asking, "Can we think of a better
resolution than the one we reached at our recent assembly, one that
allows us to live with diversity in matters that are not central to the
proclamation of law and gospel? This is the time to think and think and
pray and pray again -- as the church did at its assembly -- before taking
action."

For information contact:

http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog