From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC calls for more civil public debates

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:01:04 -0400

Alarmed by 'rancorous and acrimonious' debates,
Governing Board issues a call for civil discourse

New York, September 25, 2009 -- Alarmed by the intensity of angry and  sometimes violent language coming out of public meetings on healthcare  and other issues, the National Council of Churches Governing Board has  called for "civility in public discourse."

The Governing Board issued its open letter, which was initiated by the  NCC Health Task Force, during its meetings here September 21 and 22.

Citing God's call in Isaiah 1:18 to "reason together," the NCC letter  affirms the value of "vigorous, principled debate" but insists that the  arguments "be tempered with a profound sense of the dignity and worth of  each person."

Media reports have shown angry demonstrations outside halls where  President Obama has defended his healthcare reform proposals.  Demonstrators have carried posters portraying the President as Adolf  Hitler or as a monkey.

"This clash of views demeans the dialogue and ultimately risks  subverting the democratic process itself," the Governing Board said in a  statement that passed without dissent. "Individuals cannot express their  best hopes and acknowledge their deepest fears within a climate of  intimidation and character assassination, and all too often this climate  is the product of racism and xenophobia."

The message calls on churches, political leaders and persons of good  will to reflect "on the ways we might restore dignity and civility to  the national discourse."

Throughout its history, the ecumenical movement "has provided a common  venue for persons to express and debate differing viewpoints in an  atmosphere of mutual respect," the message said. "Let us make clear to  ourselves and others those marks of civility that represent the best of  our faiths and that can serve as foundational to rigorous, honest public  discourse for the common good."

>The full message follows:

National Council of Churches, USA

An Open Letter Concerning Civility in Public Discourse

"Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD." Isaiah 1:18 (RSV)

The current national health care reform debate is a reflection of the  broad diversity of views held by the American people.  This diversity  can be seen not only in relation to health care provisions themselves  but, also as regards the proper role of government and even the  perceived definition of community.  This breadth of perspectives  constitutes a rich heritage of insight and experience and is a cherished  resource to the ordering of our common life.

Yet, recent days have offered a sobering portrait of a debate grown  rancorous and acrimonious.  This clash of views demeans the dialogue  and ultimately risks subverting the democratic process itself.   Individuals cannot express their best hopes and acknowledge their  deepest fears within a climate of intimidation and character  assassination, and all too often this climate is the product of racism  and xenophobia.  Too much is at stake for the good of our society for  us to continue down this dangerous path.  The essential nature of our  national compact, to enfranchise the views of all, is imperiled in a  hostile and suspicious environment. In this moment, then, we call the  members of our churches, our political leaders, and all people of good  will to somber reflection on the ways we might restore dignity and  civility to our national discourse both as a matter of social ethics and  to bolster the highest traditions of democratic process.

The prophet Isaiah (1:18) declares God's message to the people to "Come  let us reason together". This injunction might serve us well in the  present moment.  Reason, (yakah), in this passage does not refer to a  dispassionate meeting of the minds but, rather calls for convincing,  persuading and presenting a case for a point of view. Vigorous,  principled debate advances our thinking and clarifies the challenges  before us. Respect for neighbor strengthens the fabric of our  communities.

Let us then, as a people, draw from our deepest traditions of faith and  heritage to gain a renewed sense of community marked by honesty and  mutual respect. Let our moments of rigorous debate be tempered with a  profound sense of the dignity and worth of each person. Let us debate  ideas on their merits and exercise restraint in expression of our own  best conceptions. Such a disciplined dialogue holds great promise,  honoring our differences and confirming our perception that we are a  people joined in our mutual aspiration to live the lives for which we  were created.

Let us as member churches and brothers and sisters of other living  faiths model the civility to which our sacred texts command.   Throughout its history, the conciliar ecumenical movement has provided a  common venue for persons to express and debate differing viewpoints in  an atmosphere of mutual respect. Let us make clear to ourselves and  others those marks of civility that represent the best of our faiths and  that can serve as foundational to rigorous, honest public discourse for  the common good.

NCC News contact:  Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228 (office),  914-589-6948 (cell) , pjenks@ncccusa.org