From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WACC Media Action No. 295

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2009 09:12:31 -0700

 In this Issue: An update about the Global Media Monitoring Day.

Also in this issue:

WACC on Facebook and YouTube!

Media play key role in poverty reduction.

Report on WACC-North America Peace Monitoring Project.

Democratization of Argentinaâ??s audiovisual communications gets a
hearing.

**Global News**

<http://waccglobal.org/en/294-september-2009.html

WACC is now on Facebook!			!

Are you looking for a new way to connect with WACC members, partners
and friends? Join the WACC Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/

and become a fan. Go to the Facebook page and login or create a new
account. Search "WACC-Global". Once on the group main page , click
"Become a fan" on the right side of the page. Be sure to share the
WACC Fan Page with your friends and check in regularly as we continue
to update the page. Spread the word and send us your comments on this
new exciting page! See you on Facebook!

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wBqhbA0X_k

Check out WACC on YouTube

As part of our ongoing effort to improve communication with our
members, partners and friends and to tell stories about our work, we
have started a new series of video interviews, stories, and dialogues
on YouTube. We start this series with an interview with WACC
President, Dennis Smith. To see the interview, visit our Website
<http://www.waccglobal.org/en/resources/videos.html

or YouTube <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wBqhbA0X_k

and send us your comments. Coming soon, an interview with the
President of WACC Asia, Rev Dr Samuel Meshack. Please send us videos
that tell stories about the work of WACC in your region. The videos
should focus on our programme themes
<http://www.waccglobal.org/en/programmes.html

and activities.

<http://www.waccglobal.org/en/resources/photos/1982-wacc-executive-committe e-meeting-15-20-september-2009.html

WACC Executive Committee meeting held

The annual Executive Committee meeting was held at the Five Oaks, in
Ontario, Canada, September 15-20. WACC staff also attended the
meeting. The president, Dennis Smith, observed that the meeting was a
great opportunity to share stories that communicate human rights. "One
of the great joys of this particular meeting has been to hear stories
from all over the world, to hear how people are working to communicate
for human rights, for the rights of women, for the rights of
indigenous peoples, and also understanding how faith contributes to
building community and liberating people." Read more....
<http://waccglobal.org/en/294-september-2009.html

**Programme updates**

<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/1978:the-global-media- monitoring-day-is-just-over-forty-days-from-now.html?Itemid=161

The Global Media Monitoring Day is just over forty days from now!

By Sarah Macharia, Programme Manager for Media and Gender Justice,

WACC

Just over forty days from now partners across the world will
participate in the global media monitoring day for the fourth GMMP.
The GMMP is the largest sustained initiative in the world on gender
responsiveness and gender equality in the media. It aims to bring
about fair and balanced representation of women and men in the news
media. One of the objectives for the fourth GMMP was to increase
participation to 115 countries. We are happy to report that this
objective has now been surpassed. To date over 125 countries across
the world have registered to participate. Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/1978:the-global-media-m onitoring-day-is-just-over-forty-days-from-now.html?Itemid=161

<http://waccglobal.org/component/content/article/1974:media-play-key-role-i n-poverty-reduction.html?Itemid=162

Media play key role in poverty reduction

By Maria Teresa Aveggio, Programme Manager, Communication and
Poverty, WACC

2009 marks the tenth anniversary since the World Bank and the
International Monetary Fund (IMF) introduced the Poverty Reduction
Strategy Papers (PRSP) as a framework to enhance accountability for
poverty reduction efforts and as a way to enhance the coordination of
development assistance between governments and development partners.
Read more...
<http://waccglobal.org/component/content/article/1974:media-play-key-role-in -poverty-reduction.html?Itemid=162

**Regional News**

<http://www.rccongress2010.org/globalpartners/gpfrecipients.shtml

Six African Communicators Awarded grant to participate in RCCongress
2010

By Stella Etemesi, Secretary, WACC Africa

The Planning Committee for Religious Communication Congress 2010
<http://www.rccongress2010.org/

has announced the successful applicants for the Global Partners
grants who will participate in the RCCongress in Chicago, USA, 7-10
April, 2010. WACC Africa is pleased to note that 6 out of the 14
participants awarded the grant are communicators from Sub-Saharan
Africa. The successful applicants from the region are: Kpalla M.
Matonmklawa (Togo), Reuben Twinomujuni (Uganda), Innocent Evere Uwah
(Nigeria- studying in Dublin, Ireland), Catherine Ouma (Kenya), Sheila
Mulinya (Kenya), Obah Rosaline Akweba, Mankon (Cameroon).

Congratulations to you all! See full list...

<http://www.rccongress2010.org/globalpartners/gpfrecipients.shtml

<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/1965:democratization-o f-argentina.html

Democratization of Argentinaâ??s audiovisual communications gets a
hearing

By María Teresa Aveggio, Programme Manager, WACC

The month of September usually heralds the arrival of spring in the
southern hemisphere. In Argentina this month September brought not
only a change of season but also the beginning of four public hearings
called by Argentinaâ??s Lower House of Representatives. The purpose of
the hearings is to listen to the opinions and testimonies of citizens
regarding the recently proposed â??Law of Audiovisual Communicationâ ??
which was presented by the president Cristina Fernández on the 27
August. Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/1965:democratization-of -argentina.html

**Features**

<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/1973:is-peace-front-pa ge-worthy.html

Is Peace Front-Page-Worthy?

Report on the WACC-North American Peace Monitoring Project, 2008

In September 2008, over one hundred ecumenical volunteers from across
the U.S.A. participated in an â??action-orientedâ?? media study,
undertaken by WACC-North America. As part of WACCâ??s mission to
actively promote communication for social change, this project is part
of its world-wide campaign â??Communication is Peace ­ Cultures for
Peaceâ?? ­ working towards creating â??cultures of peaceâ? ? on a
local and international level. This seeks to empower local ecumenical
peace activists... Read more...
<http://www.waccglobal.org/component/content/article/1973:is-peace-front-pag e-worthy.html

**Pictorial News**

<http://www.waccglobal.org/en/resources/photos/1982-wacc-executive-committe e-meeting-15-20-september-2009.html

WACC Executive Committee members and staff meeting at the Five Oaks,
in Ontario, Canada, 15-20, September 2009. Click photo
<http://www.waccglobal.org/en/resources/photos/1982-wacc-executive-committee -meeting-15-20-september-2009.html
for large size and description.

<http://www.waccglobal.org/en/resources/photos.html

WACC Executive Committee members. Click photo

<http://www.waccglobal.org/en/resources/photos.html

for large size and description.

**Letters to the Editor**

Newsletters and publications

I am a journalist based in Sudan. I have just read a forward of a
WACC newsletter. I must say it is widely informative and constructive.
I would like to be included on your mailing list.

James Okanya

Sudan

September 01, 2009 6:36 AM

----------

Suggestion about your news releases

I notice that you send out the WACC newsletter, Media Action -August
Issue, on Friday afternoon, which means that when it arrives in most
parts of the world it will be in the middle of the night or the
weekend. This is likely to mean that it will be lost as many people
wonâ??t pick it out of their weekend emails and probably wonâ??t  read
it. But information doesnâ??t begin on Monday and stop on Friday ­
itâ??s a continuous flow ­ whatâ??s involved is you deciding  when
you break into the cycle of news and send it out to people. Iâ??d
suggest that you consider a change. My opinion is that probably the
best day to send out material and expect that it will be read is
Tuesday. Even Monday would be a lot better, although people will be
launching into new work and might not stop to read it on Monday. Many
people miss a lot of their email.

Nick Fillmore,

Freelance journalist, Toronto

August 29, 2009 11:23:18 AM

----------

New honorary life members

Its lovely to know that WACC is still a leading organisation which
gives recognition to the deserving candidates. We continue to miss Dr.
Michael Traber (deceased honorary life member) who was my mentor while
he was in Bangalore. We also used Dr. Carlosâ?? books extensively for
our research.

Amenla Cunningham, Ex-graduate of United Theological College

Bangalore, India.

Thursday, August 06, 2009 8:33 AM

**Please send comments and letters to MT@waccglobal.org
<mailto:MT@waccglobal.org