From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jeffrey Haggray called as senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Washington D.C.

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:09:47 -0700

American Baptist News Service (ABNS)

Current Articles | Categories | Search | Syndication
Haggray Called As Pastor Of First Baptist Church Of The City Of
Washington, D.C.

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS 10/14/09)?Rev. Dr. Jeffrey Haggray, executive
director of the District of Columbia Baptist Convention (DCBC), has
been called as senior pastor of the First Baptist Church of Washington D.C.

Haggray was voted in by the church during a business meeting on
October 11. He will leave DCBC after over eight years of service after
its annual meeting ending October 27. He will begin preaching at First
Baptist Church of Washington, D.C., on November 15.

?I am honored to have been extended a call to pastor the First Baptist
Church of the City of Washington, D.C. I am humbled and grateful for
this opportunity to serve such an historic congregation with its rich
heritage in this great city that I love,? Haggray said in a statement.

?The past eight years have been a wonderful time serving our
congregations, taking on new challenges in missions, and working with
our congregations,? Haggray said. ?I am thankful to have had the
opportunity to serve as executive director/minister of the convention.?

Founded in 1801, DCBC is triply aligned with American Baptist Churches
USA (ABCUSA), the Progressive National Baptist Convention and the
Southern Baptist Convention.

While working with DCBC, Haggray navigated through financial troubles
and initiated a new marketing communications plan which changed the
Convention?s visual identity including a new logo, re-vitalized
website and slogan, ?One Faith. Many Cultures. Endless Possibilities.?

?The DCBC has benefited greatly from Jeffrey?s visionary approach and
results-oriented leadership style,? said C. Jeff Woods, associate
general secretary for regional ministries with ABCUSA. ?We will miss
his contributions to the wider American Baptist family, but we know
that God will continue to bless his efforts in this next chapter of  ministry.?

American Baptist Churches is one of the most diverse Christian
denominations today, with 5,500 local congregations comprised of 1.3
million members across the United States and Puerto Rico, all engaged
in God?s mission around the world.

posted @ Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:30 AM by webmaster